NO LAMAR TO THE WAC...END OF STORY...PERIOD

[quote name="JJWooten" post="1013389" timestamp="1306090608"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=84481.msg1013367#msg1013367 date=1306080742]
http://www.kidoam.com/common/g...o/210/29605.mp3

Listen after the 15 minute mark
[/quote]

try again
[/quote]What do you mean? He clearly says no Texas, Louisiana, or Kentucky school to the WAC

I think a Sunbelt door will open soon. Lamar needs to be talking to the Sunbelt while Lamar, SHSU and Jacksonville st are the only options.
Other fcs schools could announce FBS intention making the field far more crowded.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1013417" timestamp="1306103874"]
[quote author=JJWooten link=topic=84481.msg1013389#msg1013389 date=1306090608]

[/quote]

try again
[/quote]What do you mean? He clearly says no Texas, Louisiana, or Kentucky school to the WAC

I think a Sunbelt door will open soon. Lamar needs to be talking to the Sunbelt while Lamar, SHSU and Jacksonville st are the only options.
Other fcs schools could announce FBS intention making the field far more crowded.
[/quote]

I meant the link. When you pasted it, it looks like it was shortened in the middle. The link doesn't work.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="1013489" timestamp="1306136601"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=84481.msg1013417#msg1013417 date=1306103874]
[quote author=JJWooten link=topic=84481.msg1013389#msg1013389 date=1306090608]

[/quote]

try again

[/quote]

I meant the link. When you pasted it, it looks like it was shortened in the middle. The link doesn't work.
[/quote]Sorry....fixed

The Roosters are on there way home to roost in the WAC.
Davis and Poly just join the Big West in football. Why would they join the WAC to play La Tech, Tex st, UTSA when they could
play regional schools in the Big west.

Sac st just joined the big west in soccer. The WAC sponsors soccer. This suggest no Sac st to the WAC. Sac st could day a boat load of money by striking deal like Poly and Davis.

That leaves the Montana's and Portland st.

Portland st options are the Big West or WAC or remain Big sky.

Montana's said a solid no to the WAC.

These schools have 2 years to say yes or the WAC crashes.

Lamar should stay far away from the WAC.

The WAC isn't going to crash.  If no western schools join then that leaves room for Lamar, SHSU, and others.  It's just a matter of time before the WAC morphs into a southwest conference.  If Lamar wants to go FBS then they join the WAC, unless there's a major shakeup among the conferences then there's more opportunity for Lamar.

A few months ago Tidwell said he thinks there's going to be some major changes coming to the CUSA, Sun Belt and other conferences.  I think there's a good chance that will happen.  Either way, Lamar has a another year or two to prepare for a move to a FBS conference.  It could be the WAC, the Sun Belt, who knows, but it's probably going to happen.

[quote name="coachacola" post="1014078" timestamp="1306346073"]
The WAC isn't going to crash.  If no western schools join then that leaves room for Lamar, SHSU, and others.  It's just a matter of time before the WAC morphs into a southwest conference.  If Lamar wants to go FBS then they join the WAC, unless there's a major shakeup among the conferences then there's more opportunity for Lamar.

A few months ago Tidwell said he thinks there's going to be some major changes coming to the CUSA, Sun Belt and other conferences.  I think there's a good chance that will happen.  Either way, Lamar has a another year or two to prepare for a move to a FBS conference.  It could be the WAC, the Sun Belt, who knows, but it's probably going to happen.
[/quote]

Coach I like a lot of what you say but I wish I was as optimistic as your are.  I think the WAC is in trouble.  The western schools no doubt want a minimum number of schools in that region to have a west division that makes sense for them economically and from a rivalry standpoint.  They just keep getting stymied on potential schools to join.  I think that is ominous to the future of the conference.  Don't know how this is going to play out, but I hope that something develops with the Sun Belt for LU.  That is my opinion now of what is best for LU.

The WAC needs 8 football schools by 2014 so they have to get at least one more school.  From what I've read the western schools don't want all eastern schools joining the WAC, and divisions are preferred by all.  So once the WAC gets a couple of western schools to join then the eastern schools will want at least one more eastern football school for divisions.  There's no guarantees but I think it'll happen in a few years.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="1014082" timestamp="1306346932"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=84481.msg1014078#msg1014078 date=1306346073]

[/quote]

Coach I like a lot of what you say but I wish I was as optimistic as your are.  I think the WAC is in trouble.  The western schools no doubt want a minimum number of schools in that region to have a west division that makes sense for them economically and from a rivalry standpoint.  They just keep getting stymied on potential schools to join.  I think that is ominous to the future of the conference.  Don't know how this is going to play out, but I hope that something develops with the Sun Belt for LU.  That is my opinion now of what is best for LU.
[/quote]

this i what i've been saying (and getting blasted for) since the first mention of the WAC

[quote name="coachacola" post="1014078" timestamp="1306346073"]

[/quote]It wasn't long ago I was trying to convince you the WAC wasn't going to crash. I also was the one a year ago screaming the loudest for the WAC. My opinion has did a 180. I'm not sure Lamar should join the WAC. I'm not fully against it, but not for it either.
The WAC may be in trouble. Right now the WAC is in panic mode as a result of not adding that stabilizing 8th school. The panic mode scenarios coming out of the WAC are unrealistic and just plain ugly. Things like SAC st only in  football, adding a Dakota school. This would not be a stable situation for Lamar. Maybe it is just panic talk. Maybe they might panic enough to add Lamar this year...lol.
Another biggie is the possible break-up of the BCS or BCS leaving the NCAA or dropping the FCS/FBS classification or paying student athletes. Would Lamar need to leave the SLC if any of thess happen?

ULM is facing huge budget cuts while with the lowest FBS budget. NCAA is cutting 7 scholarships from ULM football. ULM will never recover from that. They may not have enough to remain FBS. Well that is a door to the SBC.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="1014175" timestamp="1306377364"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=84481.msg1014082#msg1014082 date=1306346932]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=84481.msg1014078#msg1014078 date=1306346073]

[/quote]

[/quote]

this i what i've been saying (and getting blasted for) since the first mention of the WAC
[/quote]

If the WAC had good leadership, then they would not be heading for trouble and could be a good option for LU to go FBS.  It is now my opinion based on what has played out over the last few months that the  WAC can't help themselves and will eventually fold.  I have changed my opinion of them as a viable option.  My hope is for LU to go FBS.  If you feel you were being blasted, it came from a tone of wanting LU to stay FCS and in the SLC with no desire to go FBS.  That's how I read your posts.  It wasn't personal, just a real disagreement of what we each feel is best for LU athletics.

I think almost everyone, including myself, would prefer Lamar in the Sun Belt over the WAC.  I just don't see that happening at the moment because they already have 12 members and don't seem to be looking for replacements.  But there's always the possibility of a big shakeup, and it's anybody's guess if and when that happens.

The NCAA has practically guaranteed the WAC will survive because they can always invite more FCS schools to fill any holes.  I think right now the WAC has a little bit of breathing room so the western schools are stalling to see if they can get some Montana and/or Cali schools to join. 

I just think it'll be a lot easier for Lamar to jump conferences once they get into a FBS conference.  If Lamar joins the WAC it's probably going to be a 12 or 14 team conference with divisions so travel won't be that bad.

i've said from day one..the wac sucks..if wee go anywhere it should be sunbelt/somewhere southern that has just a tad of appeal

there will be shakeups in the sunbelt

as for the fcs/fbs....we had a good year..WITH GREAT WEATHER! (altho there was a lot of whining about the heat...then the 2 cooler games that werent sold out)..you ever hear gaggies or shorthorns bitching about the weather?

might wanna see what happens during a normal LU season with at least 2 thunderstorm games...and see what happens when the 3 year commitment tickets expire

[quote name="coachacola" post="1014320" timestamp="1306433748"]
I think almost everyone, including myself, would prefer Lamar in the Sun Belt over the WAC.  I just don't see that happening at the moment because they already have 12 members and don't seem to be looking for replacements.  But there's always the possibility of a big shakeup, and it's anybody's guess if and when that happens.

The NCAA has practically guaranteed the WAC will survive because they can always invite more FCS schools to fill any holes.  I think right now the WAC has a little bit of breathing room so the western schools are stalling to see if they can get some Montana and/or Cali schools to join. 

I just think it'll be a lot easier for Lamar to jump conferences once they get into a FBS conference.  If Lamar joins the WAC it's probably going to be a 12 or 14 team conference with divisions so travel won't be that bad.
[/quote]The Sunbelt has 11 members with 10 playing football. The goal is 12 playing football with national tv championship game.

The WAC won't find enough western schools to form a 12 or 14 school conference.
The WAC is more likely to fold or become a regional conference with another name. Maybe something like this
La Tech
UNT
ULL
Ark st
Lamar
Texas st
UTSA
NMST

Call it the Big 8

Every school would get 3 money games per year.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1014418" timestamp="1306455344"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=84481.msg1014320#msg1014320 date=1306433748]

[/quote]The Sunbelt has 11 members with 10 playing football. The goal is 12 playing football with national tv championship game.

The WAC is more likely to fold or become a regional conference with another name. Maybe something like this
La Tech
UNT
ULL
Ark st
Lamar
Texas st
UTSA
NMST

Call it the Big 8

[/quote]

I could see something like that happening.  I think La Tech, UTSA, Texas State and NMST would stick together and join up with the western Sun Belt teams if the Sun Belt split in half.  I doubt they would stop at 8 but get 12 football schools although I have no idea where the other 4 would come from. 

[quote name="coachacola" post="1014480" timestamp="1306467042"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=84481.msg1014418#msg1014418 date=1306455344]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=84481.msg1014320#msg1014320 date=1306433748]

La Tech
UNT
ULL
Ark st
Lamar
Texas st
UTSA
NMST

Call it the Big 8

[/quote]

I could see something like that happening.  I think La Tech, UTSA, Texas State and NMST would stick together and join up with the western Sun Belt teams if the Sun Belt split in half.  I doubt they would stop at 8 but get 12 football schools although I have no idea where the other 4 would come from. 
[/quote]Start off at 8. As members are added change the name to the Big 8 plus.
Future members could be; Missouri st, Wichita st, and maybe eww yuck SHSU...lol.

If Wichita State brought back football then I wouldn't mind them and Missouri State joining the conference.  I doubt either one would leave the MVC unless they had FBS aspirations, which for now seems very, very unlikely.  But I think it's possible the teams you list could be the core of the "new" WAC in 3 or 4 years from now because I think Utah State, San Jose State and Idaho will exit the WAC the first chance they get.

[quote name="coachacola" post="1014626" timestamp="1306517757"]
If Wichita State brought back football then I wouldn't mind them and Missouri State joining the conference.  I doubt either one would leave the MVC unless they had FBS aspirations, which for now seems very, very unlikely.  But I think it's possible the teams you list could be the core of the "new" WAC in 3 or 4 years from now because I think Utah State, San Jose State and Idaho will exit the WAC the first chance they get.
[/quote]Wichita st is on the fence for bring back football. Missouri st is on the fence too for FBS. This conference could push them over.
The only obstacle is the MVC high basketball rating.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83