Lamar to FBS is not dead despite the foolish decision by the WAC

One concern I have always had was going to the WAC and then having a conference shift then Lamar gets stuck out west alone.
Well the WAC cured that fear. Conference realignment is far from dead. We know

1. BE may take Houston to partner with TCU.
2. BE is going to take UCF to partner with USF.
Orlando, Houston, DFW market. They would have to be as stupid as the WAC to pass on those markets.

So that leaves CUSA at 10 schools.

The question becomes does UTEP want to stay in CUSA?  or does the MWC look more attractive. Keep in mind El Paso is closer to California than to Houston. MWC passed on SJSU and San Jose sits in a mega-market. So I wouldn't rule out USU and Utep getting the MWC invite. The MWC is waiting on the Big 12 to break up,not gonna happen. Maybe BYU will join the Big 12.

This still leaves CUSA with 10 or 9 members. Who will CUSA invite? I say at least 1 SBC. I do not know which SBC school. Maybe one of the Florida schools. I would put UNT, MTSU, and La Tech as last resort options.

We must keep and eye on ULM. This school is half Lamar size, in a poor state, in a small town, and a athletic budget smaller than FCS Lamar or any of the Texas SLC football schools. With budget cuts coming in 2012, do the math.

If SBC loses 2 schools, they are down to 8 football. 3 schools, they lose FBS status. So don't buy into that SBC won't add FCS schools. They will after the BE makes a move. Lamar could go SBC in 2013.

The PAC 10/12 commissioner mentioned a week or two ago that he thinks there's a lot of alignment/expansion on the horizon in the next year or two.  The MWC may still end up taking Utah State and/or San Jose State.  The WAC needs to get to at least 8 football schools by 2014.  A lot of the BCS schools want more FBS teams so they can rack up more wins and get bowl eligible.

I've also read that the NCAA is unhappy that the FCS playoffs is a money loser.  There's really no incentive to force schools to stay at the FCS level if they want to move up and have the money.

Lamar now has an extra year or two to build up the football program and the whole athletic department before jumping to FBS.  The WAC is probably the way to go but one raid of the SBC will open up that conference too.

[quote name="coachacola" post="1009238" timestamp="1305214871"]
The PAC 10/12 commissioner mentioned a week or two ago that he thinks there's a lot of alignment/expansion on the horizon in the next year or two.  The MWC may still end up taking Utah State and/or San Jose State.  The WAC needs to get to at least 8 football schools by 2014.  A lot of the BCS schools want more FBS teams so they can rack up more wins and get bowl eligible.
[/quote]This is what pissed me off. Comcast wants SJSU in the MWC and they just might make it in. They are on the way out but blocks Lamar from coming in.
[quote]
I've also read that the NCAA is unhappy that the FCS playoffs is a money loser.  There's really no incentive to force schools to stay at the FCS level if they want to move up and have the money.

Lamar now has an extra year or two to build up the football program and the whole athletic department before jumping to FBS.  The WAC is probably the way to go but one raid of the SBC will open up that conference too.
[/quote]Also the possibility of ending FBS/FCS and all schools play at 1 level.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1009240" timestamp="1305215030"]
[quote author=1KatKiller link=topic=84175.msg1009232#msg1009232 date=1305214158]
well, since you brought it up first...I'm hearing U of H to the big east.
[/quote]Me too. Hopefully before July 1st.
[/quote]

Actually that makes sense.  The UH fan base don't seem to care that much about the CUSA.  Big East teams would probably draw better in Houston than CUSA teams plus they'd re-unite with TCU.  If they join the Big East, UH should hire a big time basketball coach and play a lot of their games in the Toyota Center.  Like LU, they can't return their BB program back to the glory days.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83

• First pitch about to be in the books.
    • Chester will be the home team tonight.  Neches Tigers will be the visitors.
    • The locals have almost finished firing the first ever Speaker of the House from Southeast Texas upon direct order of Trump and his minions.   It's a sad day... Locals have decided that being represented by the most powerful man in the House didn't mean anything.... they'd rather a political novice to represent this part of SETX.  And why is that?  He wasn't MAGA enough for them.  Who cares that it will hurt locally... What Trump says, goes.     Just yesterday I saw Trump on television demanding that we fire Phelan... How he's a RINO, weak on the border, etc... why?  Because he wouldn't overlook the criminal actions done by Ken Paxton, one of Trump's key supporters in the effort to overturn the 2020 Election and allow Trump to remain in office despite the will of the voters.   Trump never even mentioned Covey's name, and I doubt he would recognize Covey if Covey walked up with a cup of coffee.  Who cares that it's bad for SETX?  Not the R voters from SETX!   Then I saw Covey's preacher on a different ad tell a bald face lie.  Why should Phelan be fired?  "He put Democrats in positions of power in the House."  Really?  That's been the position of BOTH parties for as long as anybody can remember.  They ALWAYS give the minority party committee chairmanships.  But in 2022 the Rs decided that the practice should stop.  Democrat voters should not be allowed a voice in the crafting of legislation if there is a single majority Republican seat in the House, according to the Rs.  Representative Government?  Never heard of it, huh? Never did I believe that we'd have an abortion ban, constitutional carry, huge cuts for school property taxes, and Texas law enforcement being greenlit to enforce immigration law.  But it all happened while Phelan was speaker.  Without a doubt, the most conservative Speaker, ever.  But still a dirty RINO for not being MAGA enough.  It would be funny if it weren't true.   I've been following politics long enough to remember when Rs couldn't get elected in Texas... I'm confident that we're headed back that direction.  I mean, it's obvious that with population shifts we'll be turning blue eventually.  I think that the behavior of the leadership of the Republican Party is going to cause that shift sooner than expected.  I won't be surprised to see Democrat Senators and possibly even a governor elected within 12 years.  Maybe less.  The Rs will be a party apparatus without a voting base behind them.
    • Yellowjacket faithful are still pouring into Hudson HS’s Gipson Field!!!!  
    • This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up
  • Topics