Is 1st place the best place to finish in?

Looking at how far second and third place teams advanced as opposed to some first place teams, I am wondering if finishing first is a good thing. You must also consider not playing a game (bye) and the fact that the opponent is going to have momentum coming in to play you. What do you think?

[quote name="stevenash" post="980855" timestamp="1299795504"]
REally doesnt matter that much.  The best 4 get to Austin regardless of where they finished
[/quote]

I don't know that it is the 4 best.  It may be the 4 best at the time. It could be that one or two were good teams that had some luck along the way but weren't really one of the best 4.  It is also possible that more than one of the best teams were in the same region.

Isn't "at that time" the only time that matters?  I think the bottom line is:  when the team you support makes it there, you believe in the system- when it doesn't you may be inclined to question the system.  There is no way to quantify who is the best team except with an elimination tournament.  Even a double elimination(which would be too time consuming) would still be open to question as every team did not play every other team.

[quote name="stevenash" post="981055" timestamp="1299817627"]
Isn't "at that time" the only time that matters?  I think the bottom line is:  when the team you support makes it there, you believe in the system- when it doesn't you may be inclined to question the system.  There is no way to quantify who is the best team except with an elimination tournament.  Even a double elimination(which would be too time consuming) would still be open to question as every team did not play every other team.
[/quote]
Oh not arguing its not the best way and really not stating that because of anything involving my team. May be a time or two that fits but not my point.  I doubt that Mexia, Smith or West Oso are all better than Esacado or Kennedale that Burkeburnett beat.  Either of those two could be the second best team in the state.

[quote name="ST413" post="978690" timestamp="1299433767"]
In 3A one third place team made it. I think their may be a benefit a far as keeping a routine going but the rest of it is the luck of the draw. Just depends on where the stronger teams are.
[/quote]

The 3A 3rd place team that made it, did so because their combined varsity (Carter-Maceo) finally meshed into one unit late in the season and rode their good chemistry to Austin.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124