Boy Wrestler Refuses To Compete With Girl (Sexual Harassment)

KFDM COOP

Boy Wrestler Refuses To Compete With Girl (Sexual Harassment)
http://wmbriggs.com/blog/?p=3493 ^ | William M. Briggs

Posted on Friday, February 18, 2011 9:24:48 AM by mattstat

In Iowa, girls can now wrestle with boys—and not just in cars in the parking lot at the Friday night dance. But in the rings and on the mats. The news reports that one young man refused to wrestle with his female opponent in the State final. He did so because he was a gentleman of the Old School. We commend him. But his forfeit allowed the girl to “win,” thus beginning an accumulation of statistics showing equality between girls and boys.

Of course, at the distant end of the 1970s at good old St. Mary’s High where yours truly matriculated, allowing boys to wrestle girls would have produced a surge of enrollment on the wrestling team. But today’s youth are more in tune with the near desperate desire for equality, it having been inculcated in them in every class in every grade. So most will play along.

However, that pesky boy-girl dimorphism will haunt equality efforts. In that same Iowa tournament, the only other girl lost her match with a boy not as reticent as his teammate. Yet equality must be had! So how long before the first sexual harassment charge which will be used to cancel a boy’s win? How many new rules—in football, basketball, wrestling, and on and on—will be instituted delineating just how hard, when, and especially where a boy may touch a girl? These rules will be implemented not just because some women hate the idea of boys touching girls, but to increase the advantages of the girls whose biology otherwise limits them.

Constraining and restraining boys thusly will, of course, bring the object of desire, but it will also hurt the sports themselves. Who would want to watch football game where the boys are not allowed to tackle the girls? Or a wrestling match were the boys must maintain a strict distance between his hands and most of the girls’ bodies?

The young man was on The Early Show a couple of days ago. I do not understand the outcries against him branding him sexist. He explained his reasons. He said he was taught from an early age not to be aggressive toward females (a good thing). He also explained that wrestling holds sometimes put you in some compromising positions. I don't think that he should be condemned for this. I understand that she worked hard to get there, but I also understand his position on the subject.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83