Open Message Hamshire - Fannett Basketball Future

BLUEDOVE3

[quote name="5gallonbucket" post="970954" timestamp="1298485476"]
What you have to have is a Coach that not only knows basketball, but is able to reach the players and have them believe in the system and themselves.  If the coach works hard then your players will follow suit.  But you do have to start with a foundation...The reason the Nederland program is doing so well is that one you got a great coach and he started at the LITTLE DRIBBLER area as far as building a foundation.  I would love to take the Head Coaching job at HF, because im a former player and was on the team that led HF to its first District Championship in school history, but coaching at HF means that i would have to coach football and probably another sport and so that takes away from focus on basketball.  Sutherland is at a 3A school and does no football.......they re very successful.  Im 5gallon bucket because thats what i grew up shooting on.....it had to be perfect.
[/quote]And English isn't afraid to take his boys to play in tournaments against good teams outside of this area. I've also seen them play in individual events where his boys played on teams with other Houston area boys competing. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Wildcatter" post="971329" timestamp="1298532177"]
You guys will never get it.  You "put it on the radar", no one cares, gripe all you want to your are not going to change anything.
[/quote]It really made me feel it was worth it when my wife overheard a little ol' lady say about the HF vs HJ game, " the coach must not wanna win!"  ;)

If it goes there you are in worse shape.  The part you are missing is that your coach actually loves basketball.  You have an ad who could care less about it. So what happens next, first they will not get rid of the coach because in the ad's eyes he's happy, he has football offseason, do you think he is gonna go hire someone with big ideas of making basketball king at HF?  Will never happen.  been there done that.  either accept it or move to Houston.

[quote name="Wildcatter" post="972006" timestamp="1298609220"]
If it goes there you are in worse shape.  The part you are missing is that your coach actually loves basketball.  You have an ad who could care less about it. So what happens next, first they will not get rid of the coach because in the ad's eyes he's happy, he has football offseason, do you think he is gonna go hire someone with big ideas of making basketball king at HF?  Will never happen.  been there done that.  either accept it or move to Houston.
[/quote]

Been there?  Done that?  I have personally witnessed a situation where a superintendent assured a prospective new basketball coach that certain issues would be dealt with in order to get the coach to take the job at a football oriented school.  Said coach took the job and turned a team with a very poor losing record into a district champion the following two years and a regional semi appearance in the second year.  So, yes, change is possible

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="970999" timestamp="1298488829"]
[quote author=gcrew link=topic=80192.msg970936#msg970936 date=1298483757]
Ahhh...dove, HF [i]does[/i] have a talented group of boys in the middle school program, but I have heard a lot of them are moving towards the mid-county area.  This may be part of the problem as to why the high school program is weak.
[/quote]Yes ol' wise one! What you hear is correct ;D
[/quote]
the sad part about them moving towards mid-county is that they will be little fish in a big pond and may not shine as bright in that big pond.  And then the high school program at HF will never be as strong as it could be.  I don't know the answer other than to have the varsity coach more involved in the middle school program.  As far as developing a little dribblers program out here, they have a GREAT program out here where the boys team consistently go on to nationals and make a showing in the tournament.  I wish they would stay out here and build up this program.  It would be great for the district and (I think) better for the students.

[quote name="stevenash" post="972239" timestamp="1298659390"]
More skills work and less weight lifting would go a long way toward achieving that goal
[/quote]  :D My kid comes home griping about being sore evry other day. In defense of weights, I think the kids were turning flips and began to throw up. Or at least thats the way I envisioned his story.

Steve, you are correct, and I know the school you are talking about. About 3 hours north of HJ.  But 99 percent of the time, PEOPLE will not allow change to happen.  This includes, Admin, parents, Principals, AD's.  The thing about it is you have too many politics and too many people that are ignorant but think that they are not when it comes to basketball.  I hear ignorant statements all the time by parents and people that think they know basketball that it makes me slightly vomit in my mouth.  For the most part, maybe 5 percent of the population understand the game of basketball and what it takes to achieve success.  The other 95 percent dont care, dont realize they dont understand, or are roughshod over by polititical agandas. 

[quote name="gcrew" post="972221" timestamp="1298656643"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=80192.msg970999#msg970999 date=1298488829]
[quote author=gcrew link=topic=80192.msg970936#msg970936 date=1298483757]
Ahhh...dove, HF [i]does[/i] have a talented group of boys in the middle school program, but I have heard a lot of them are moving towards the mid-county area.  This may be part of the problem as to why the high school program is weak.
[/quote]Yes ol' wise one! What you hear is correct ;D
[/quote]
the sad part about them moving towards mid-county is that they will be little fish in a big pond and may not shine as bright in that big pond.  And then the high school program at HF will never be as strong as it could be.  I don't know the answer other than to have the varsity coach more involved in the middle school program.  As far as developing a little dribblers program out here, they have a GREAT program out here where the boys team consistently go on to nationals and make a showing in the tournament.  I wish they would stay out here and build up this program.  It would be great for the district and (I think) better for the students.
[/quote] I do agree with what you're saying and the subject matter would make for an interesting debate, pros and cons on both sides.

[quote name="east texas bb" post="972517" timestamp="1298684270"]
Steve, you are correct, and I know the school you are talking about. About 3 hours north of HJ.  But 99 percent of the time, PEOPLE will not allow change to happen.  This includes, Admin, parents, Principals, AD's.  The thing about it is you have too many politics and too many people that are ignorant but think that they are not when it comes to basketball.  I hear ignorant statements all the time by parents and people that think they know basketball that it makes me slightly vomit in my mouth.  For the most part, maybe 5 percent of the population understand the game of basketball and what it takes to achieve success.  The other 95 percent dont care, dont realize they dont understand, or are roughshod over by polititical agandas. 
[/quote]Wow, I thought he was talking about Nederland.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami