H-F vs. BC/ BC wins

tokenmom

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="951102" timestamp="1295454674"]
I've only seen a few games HF games but the guard play is definitely the strongest on the team. I'm not saying he isn't doing this but I certainly hope he is preparing his Freshman guard for the future. She may be the key.
[/quote]That guard is a Freshman?  She is very good and aggressive!

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="951259" timestamp="1295469929"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=78975.msg951102#msg951102 date=1295454674]
I've only seen a few games HF games but the guard play is definitely the strongest on the team. I'm not saying he isn't doing this but I certainly hope he is preparing his Freshman guard for the future. She may be the key.
[/quote]That guard is a Freshman?  She is very good and aggressive!
[/quote]The shorter one is a Fresh-wo-man. ;)

Guest bleed orange
HF is hard to firgure out. I don't know about now but their little dribblers program was strong. They always put solid teams on the floor. But when they get to High School they seem to underachieve. I don't understand. Not knocking Bridge City, have seen them play. Their inside game is much improved but they still lack the fundamentals needed to go to that next level. I thought that maybe club volleyball was hurting their basketball program but I was told not many players on the basketball team are playing club volleyball. That is why I cannot firgure them out. In the past IMO it was club Volleyball.

[quote name="bleed orange" post="951451" timestamp="1295489753"]
HF is hard to firgure out. I don't know about now but their little dribblers program was strong. They always put solid teams on the floor. But when they get to High School they seem to underachieve. I don't understand. Not knocking Bridge City, have seen them play. Their inside game is much improved but they still lack the fundamentals needed to go to that next level. I thought that maybe club volleyball was hurting their basketball program but I was told not many players on the basketball team are playing club volleyball. That is why I cannot firgure them out. In the past IMO it was club Volleyball.
[/quote]Same with boys. Strong in middle school.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="951497" timestamp="1295493555"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=78975.msg951451#msg951451 date=1295489753]
[/quote]

I don't think it is coaches, I think kids lose interest. The girls have been losing numbers for the last 10 years that I know of.  Most of the classes at Orangefield have 1 maybe 2 seniors on the team. In 2007 we had 7 seniors, that is a rarity. Again I have a opinion but still don't understand. Back when I played we had some good athlete's that quit but there was enough to fill the void. Now it seems there is not enough.

[quote name="bleed orange" post="951514" timestamp="1295494722"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=78975.msg951497#msg951497 date=1295493555]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=78975.msg951451#msg951451 date=1295489753]
[/quote]

I don't think it is coaches, I think kids lose interest. The girls have been losing numbers for the last 10 years that I know of.  Most of the classes at Orangefield have 1 maybe 2 seniors on the team. In 2007 we had 7 seniors, that is a rarity. Again I have a opinion but still don't understand. Back when I played we had some good athlete's that quit but there was enough to fill the void. Now it seems there is not enough.
[/quote]Good point. Kids probably sign up for X-Box tournaments or stay home on FaceBook ;)

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="951516" timestamp="1295494853"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=78975.msg951514#msg951514 date=1295494722]
[/quote]

[/quote]Good point. Kids probably sign up for X-Box tournaments or stay home on FaceBook ;)

That is good Dove. I am on facebook as we speak. LOL!!!!!!  Don't forget about the Wii.
[/quote]

[quote name="bleed orange" post="951531" timestamp="1295496250"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=78975.msg951516#msg951516 date=1295494853]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=78975.msg951514#msg951514 date=1295494722]
[/quote]

That is good Dove. I am on facebook as we speak. LOL!!!!!!  Don't forget about the Wii.
[/quote]
[/quote]

This team is very different from the little dribblers group that was successful. This group is different from the group that won in junior high. This is definitely a guard dominated team, but Guilhaus, Crawford and the freshman don't have much help. It is not from a lack of effort, but something just seems to be missing. This team is a good example of players that could definitely help dropping out of the program. They need to be more agressive and attack the basket. Way too passive and too many jump shots.

Well Bleed you just had to say the word...didn't you...Cant be cause the coach in the past isn't around any more could it....can't be cause the parents wore their kids out with lil dribblers...can't be cause the talent these days just isn't like it was when your daughter played...And it's sure not cause some of the girls want to practice another round ball during YOUR basketball season Bleed...I understand your concern..we have been down this road..but once again it doesn't interfere with the sport in hand...Lack of leadership and talent is what I see has happen to 3a sports...Would you agree?

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="tjcfan08" post="951578" timestamp="1295500522"]
Well Bleed you just had to say the word...didn't you...Cant be cause the coach in the past isn't around any more could it....can't be cause the parents wore their kids out with lil dribblers...can't be cause the talent these days just isn't like it was when your daughter played...And it's sure not cause some of the girls want to practice another round ball during YOUR basketball season Bleed...I understand your concern..we have been down this road..but once again it doesn't interfere with the sport in hand...Lack of leadership and talent is what I see has happen to 3a sports...Would you agree?
[/quote]

Dam Tjcfan that is deep. LOL !!! you know me well. Yes, I agree but that does not mean you win.

Bleed, OF has 6 seniors this year.... as far as hamshire goes, they are normally better in jr. high because they are more aggressive.... as the level goes up to jv, then varsity,... skill and speed win over aggressiveness...

[/quote]I don't think it is coaches, I think kids lose interest. The girls have been losing numbers for the last 10 years that I know of.  Most of the classes at Orangefield have 1 maybe 2 seniors on the team. In 2007 we had 7 seniors, that is a rarity. Again I have a opinion but still don't understand. Back when I played we had some good athlete's that quit but there was enough to fill the void. Now it seems there is not enough.
[/quote]

Well Bleed you just had to say the word...didn't you...Cant be cause the coach in the past isn't around any more could it....can't be cause the parents wore their kids out with lil dribblers...can't be cause the talent these days just isn't like it was when your daughter played...And it's sure not cause some of the girls want to practice another round ball during YOUR basketball season Bleed...I understand your concern..we have been down this road..but once again it doesn't interfere with the sport in hand...[b]Lack of leadership and talent is what I see has happen to 3a sports...Would you agree?[/b]
[/quote]

By leadership, do you mean players?  The coaching this year in 21-3a is as good if not better than is has ever been. As far as talent.... that is in the eye of the beholder... I'd take a team full of 8 point scorers over 1 player who could put up 30 any day!

If you look at the coaches in 21-31 this year..
Fountain - BC coached forever at Nacogdogches (sp) and has tons of wins
Collazo-HF successful at PNG, Kelly, i think Lufkin Hudson... ton of wins
Davis- HJ very successful as HC at LCM, successful at TJ as asst..... phenominal  win/loss percentage
Orebo-WOS successful over the years at WOS... still trying to rebuild a program that went to the gutter the year she left.
Jost- OF see description for Coach Davis

[/quote]

I blame parents for filling kids heads with lies about if they play club volleyball they will get scholarships.  I think some parents got worried that their kids "talent" wasn't what it was when they were younger and instead of playing basketball they changed their focus to another sport and tried to get a lot of girls on board and tried to get them NOT to play basketball and just "focus" on one sport.  I mean why in the world would you want to play basketball at Orangefield after the sucess they've had the last 10 years, right?  ::)

[quote name="bleed orange" post="951531" timestamp="1295496250"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=78975.msg951516#msg951516 date=1295494853]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]I got addicted to my daughter's wii. I'm just now recovering the past two months. Haven't had a stick in my hand. ;)

Some coaches are blessed with talent and their coaching skills or lack thereof aren't detected. Good coaches know how to put their weaker players in situations to blend in with their stronger talent. Good coaches teach the fundamentals of the game and get their players to do it in the game.

[quote name="Bobcat05" post="951609" timestamp="1295527083"]
[quote author=tjcfan08 link=topic=78975.msg951578#msg951578 date=1295500522]
[/quote]

I blame parents for filling kids heads with lies about if they play club volleyball they will get scholarships.  I think some parents got worried that their kids "talent" wasn't what it was when they were younger and instead of playing basketball they changed their focus to another sport and tried to get a lot of girls on board and tried to get them NOT to play basketball and just "focus" on one sport.  I mean why in the world would you want to play basketball at Orangefield after the sucess they've had the last 10 years, right?  ::)

[/quote]

If you play any select sport and play competative Bobcat, your dreams of getting a scholarship might just come true, i mean look at the softball thread, HF has great success in volleyball and softball as well.....I would like to see Orangefield compete in all sports and the only way to do that is stay active, but that is again my opinion....I think you are wrong with why kids aren't playing basketball, as stated in the previous comments above, it seems to be the trend for the past what 10 years....And you are blaming a PARENT for the reason numbers are up in the volleyball program and down in the basketball program....go figure....Once again Bobcat, you are entitled to your own opinion..... ::) ::)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="951650" timestamp="1295534697"]
Some coaches are blessed with talent and their coaching skills or lack thereof aren't detected. Good coaches know how to put their weaker players in situations to blend in with their stronger talent. Good coaches teach the fundamentals of the game and get their players to do it in the game.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree with you more....

In volleyball you do not run, in softball you only run if you get a hit.  Basketball you run the whole time. THAT'S why the numbers are lower in basketball because there are some lazy kids, then throw on top of that there are girl who want to "focus" on one sport.

No girl at Orangefield should play just one sport, I hate to be the voice of reason, but there aren't any volleyball players currently playing that were even close to as good as Kirby Myers and she didn't even play vball in college!  No basketball players as good as KK Little and they both played JUCO.  So please before you [s]lie [/s] tell kids that if they "focus" on one sport they will play at Texas, Uconn, Tennesse, or even Lamar read a book, take a class, WATCH a match/game and then get a clue.

There are many angry parents who wasted a lot of time and money on select volleyball in this area because of some lies told told to them.

[quote name="tjcfan08" post="951674" timestamp="1295537474"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=78975.msg951650#msg951650 date=1295534697]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Good coaches DEVELOP talent... (aren' t blessed with it always)... Good coaches teach fundamentals that enhance ones talents and minimize flaws.  Blue Dove... we finally agree on something.... but to say a coach at a winning school is blessed with talent and that is why the consistently win is flawed... Boutee, Sutherland, Williams, etc. could probably win 20 games where ever they coach at...because they will develop talent... ;)

Guest bleed orange
Really it is the whole select system not just volleyball. Anytime money is involved things change. Select ball was started with a good purpose in mind, exposure for the kids and building your high school program. But when you have a coach or organization that's making big money off of kids and their parents then the motive startes to change. Grant it, I know there are people out there still doing it for the right reasons. There are people who make their living off of select sports and those are the ones I have problem with. Again the trend of low numbers of kids in high school sports has been going on for a while. There is nothing a parent, coach administrator or AD can do about it. No one parent, coach, administrator or AD caused it either. If kids are quitting then the only one to blame is the kid itself. JMO

[quote name="hjhawks" post="951692" timestamp="1295539779"]
[quote author=tjcfan08 link=topic=78975.msg951674#msg951674 date=1295537474]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=78975.msg951650#msg951650 date=1295534697]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Good coaches DEVELOP talent... (aren' t blessed with it always)... Good coaches teach fundamentals that enhance ones talents and minimize flaws.  Blue Dove... we finally agree on something.... but to say a coach at a winning school is blessed with talent and that is why the consistently win is flawed... Boutee, Sutherland, Williams, etc. could probably win 20 games where ever they coach at...because they will develop talent... ;)
[/quote]I agree after watching what Sutherland works with over there ;D

Guest bleed orange
One more thing, either a kid loves a sport or they don't. If a kid loves multiple sports then that kid will play multiple sports. No coach or parent can change that. I don't know if I would say kids have gotten lazy, I would say their interest has changed. Are kids lazy? You bet but my parents said I was lazy too. LOL!!!!!I don't believe anyone in Orangefield that has started a select team has told a kid to only play that sport. I also think the parents who started select teams in Orangefield did it because they wanted the program to flourish as a whole. I mean look at softball, sure parents do it because they have a kid playing but all in all they are doing it for the program plain and simple. JMO!!!! ;D ;D These parents are not getting paid that is the difference. I do agree that kids at a 3A school need to play as many sports as possible.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder