Question for the long time Bronco fans

broncos92

Do you think the 89-90 or the 90-91 Dayton Broncos would have won it all under Coach Stewart? These two teams may have been the most talented teams to come through Dayton, I think. I know some of you may not agree, but these two teams had 22 starters(11 def. & 11 off). 89-90 team: Ivory Durio, Ricky Wells, Doyle Terrel, JB Lofton, George (Skip) Gorman, Freddy Carter, Pat Barret, Barry Pruitt, Reggie Robinson, and the list can go on. 90-91 team:George (Skip) Gorman, Freddy Carter, Pat Barret, Barry Pruitt, Reggie Robinson, Simone Pearson, Kendall Elliot, and alot of the players from the year before. Coach Hughes was ok, but I don't think know where near Coach Stewarts level. This question has been discussed amongst my friends and I alot and I would just like to get other Dayton fans input on this.

[b]Pat Barret??[/b] Man that dude couldn't have been any good. He's asleep 20 ft. away from me in the control room chair!  :D :D I don't dare wake him up and show him cause he might get the big head!! :D :D

Don't know if they would have won state, but if Big Stu was there you can be rest assured, they would have played to their full potential.

[quote name="Hawkeye" post="919079" timestamp="1290764345"]
[b]Pat Barret??[/b] Man that dude couldn't have been any good. He's asleep 20 ft. away from me in the control room chair!  :D :D I don't dare wake him up and show him cause he might get the big head!! :D :D

Don't know if they would have won state, but if Big Stu was there you can be rest assured, they would have played to their full potential.
[/quote]Tell him pink said wake his azzzzz up.

If my memory is correct those backs on that team between 4 of them had over 1,200 rushing yds apiece.I've always thought that group had the most talent in yrs.@ Dayton as I coached them when they were much younger and they were nearly unbeatable as young kids.Drag some smoked sausage in front of Pat's nose and when he wakes tell him Unk Bobby said hello ;) ;D ;D

"The Legend" def would of got the most out of the players. One thing that Stewart does that no other coach did was get total commitment from his players. Im talkin offseason / summer time / 6AM SAT mornings after games (on an athletes own accord). He makes players reach their full potential.

THAT CLASS WAS PRETTY GOOD.BUT THE CLASS OF 83-84 MAN IF WE HAD STEWART WITH THE TALENT THAT WE HAD,DAYTON WOULD ALREADY HAVE A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP.YES I HEAR THESE GUYS TALK ALL THE TIME ABOUT HOW GOOD THEY WERE,BUT HALF OF THE PEOPLE THEY ARE NAMING WOULD HAVE BEEN ON OUR BENCH ,OR MAYBE JUST PLAYING SPECIAL TEAMS.I'VE BEEN WATCHING DAYTON FOOTBALL SINCE WE GOT OUT OF SCHOOL,THERE HASN'T BEEN A TEAM THAT BRIING THE HAT(HELMENT) THE WAY WE USED TO.DEJEFF EDWARDS,NG PERCY BROUSSARD,LB TOMMY WELCH,LB BOBBY JONES,DE MIKE PORCHE,3 TECH,FRED HYNSON,AND ROBERT CAMPBELL,CB LEMONT DEVERS,AND MILKSHHAKE BARTON,S FASTAST MAN EVER IN DAYTON GENE ROBERTS.AND ON OFFENSE RB TROY BARRETT,FB ERIC KING WHO EACH RAN FOR OVER 1000 YARDS EVERY YEAR.THEN THE BEST TIGHT END I'VE SEEN PLAY THAT POSITION RICKY EGGLESTON,QB DWIGHT FRUGE,LINEMAN VERNON GOLD,EDWARD ELLIOTT,MIKE BAY,TOMMY WELCH,RANDY.MAN IF WE HAD STEWART,I FEEL WE COULD HAVE BEEN UNDEFEATED OUR LAST YEAR.WE WERE THE 1ST 8TH GRADE TEAM IN DAYTON AND WON DISTRICT EVERY YEAR EXCEPT OUR LAST YEAR.DEFENSE WAS OUR THANG,WE HIT AND HIT HARD.DON' BELIEVE ME ASK ANYBODY WE PLAYED OR PRACTICE WITH IE  CHARLES BURKS,HE WILL TELL YOU

[quote name="liltex" post="919224" timestamp="1290800552"]
They were good also.I think Lamont Dever still holds the season record for ints.@ least that's what he tells me.But the team w/DJ Dever (dbl/tripled teamed)that played La Marque in the astrodome in the quarterfinals was a great team also ;) ;D ;D ;)
[/quote]

This team is near and dear to my heart as it was my senior year.  Dakari Pearson, Wilfred Bowers, DJ Dever, Keithon Edwards, Sherman Thompson, etc...that was a very talented team.  I think that year when we played PNG is my all time favorite Bronco game.

Another really talented group I've seen come through was the year with Calvin Davis and Lamar (can't remember his last name).

P.S.  I hope we destroy LaMarque tomorrow for the whole 98 thing!!!!

[quote name="broncos92" post="919078" timestamp="1290762953"]
Do you think the 89-90 or the 90-91 Dayton Broncos would have won it all under Coach Stewart? These two teams may have been the most talented teams to come through Dayton, I think. I know some of you may not agree, but these two teams had 22 starters(11 def. & 11 off). 89-90 team: Ivory Durio, Ricky Wells, Doyle Terrel, JB Lofton, George (Skip) Gorman, Freddy Carter, Pat Barret, Barry Pruitt, Reggie Robinson, and the list can go on. 90-91 team:George (Skip) Gorman, Freddy Carter, Pat Barret, Barry Pruitt, Reggie Robinson, Simone Pearson, Kendall Elliot, and alot of the players from the year before. Coach Hughes was ok, but I don't think know where near Coach Stewarts level. This question has been discussed amongst my friends and I alot and I would just like to get other Dayton fans input on this.
[/quote]

Dude...don't forget Matt "the white flash" Ashby!

[quote name="mlejeune" post="919433" timestamp="1290818461"]
[quote author=liltex link=topic=76671.msg919224#msg919224 date=1290800552]
They were good also.I think Lamont Dever still holds the season record for ints.@ least that's what he tells me.But the team w/DJ Dever (dbl/tripled teamed)that played La Marque in the astrodome in the quarterfinals was a great team also ;) ;D ;D ;)
[/quote]

This team is near and dear to my heart as it was my senior year.  Dakari Pearson, Wilfred Bowers, DJ Dever, Keithon Edwards, Sherman Thompson, etc...that was a very talented team.  I think that year when we played PNG is my all time favorite Bronco game.

Another really talented group I've seen come through was the year with Calvin Davis and Lamar (can't remember his last name).

P.S.  I hope we destroy LaMarque tomorrow for the whole 98 thing!!!!
[/quote]
lamont jones jon jon anderson steven williams gamaro martinez brandon payne brown twins ed seimen  if i recall we had three or four straight shut outs that year

oh yeah we had the number two 4a offense that year behind stephenville yhe state chaps

bronco fans that was when the jumbo package was invented in bronco country

[quote name="Scooter!" post="919816" timestamp="1290838940"]
Dayton had that PNG game won but i remember some dumb penalties costing them
[/quote]

If you are talking about the PNG game in 98, we won that game.  It was very intense with PNG scoring and then Dayton scoring the whole game until the 2nd half when Dakari intercepted it, and then the Broncos owned them the rest of the game.  All of the Dayton side started doing the Indian move with their hands and singing "na na na, hey, hey, hey goodbye."  I will never forget that game.  We went all the way to the dome that year undefeated.

Here are the scores for the 98 season:

Dayton 35 vs Crosby 14
Dayton 48 vs Dickinson 6
Dayton 49 vs CE King 0
Dayton 28 vs Jasper 19
Dayton 57 vs Lumberton 0
Dayton 45 vs Silsbee 31
Dayton 45 vs PNG 24 (Bi-District)
Dayton 17 vs Kilgore 14 (Area playoffs)
LaMarque 20 vs Dayton 14 (Regional playoffs - payback time)

Here's a website that shows scores for the past years...pretty cool.

http://lonestarfootball.net/team.asp?T=949

If I'm looking at it correctly, it looks like Dayton didn't make it to the playoffs until 98 since the 80s.  I think 98 is the year that the ship started turning for Dayton's football team.  When did Stewart start at Dayton?

[quote name="liltex" post="919877" timestamp="1290861739"]
You're looking at it then w/sunglasses on.Better check another site like Txhsfootball .com ;D
[/quote]

Yea, I noticed after I posted that some of records for recent years were jacked up.  It's early.  :o

Regardless, 98 gets my vote.  :D :D :D

[quote name="Hawkeye" post="919079" timestamp="1290764345"]

[/quote]

You guys need to watch the control board and stop posting on here while running a plant. Process safety is critical to our neighbors and community. Need to ensure the kids and families are safe. Post on these forums at home please!!

[quote name="liltex" post="919904" timestamp="1290865058"]
Oh believe me it's a fail safe system w/multiple alarms.Not to worry you're not gonna run out of gas for the car :D
[/quote]

Plenty of incidents where there were not alarms. to quote one of the operators who works for me, I did not think we could have an incident with the compressor, we did not get any alarms. 200,000 pounds of propane later! I am not worried about gasoline, my plant will make it also!! Be safe please, your family is counting on you!!

[quote name="fwstangs" post="919908" timestamp="1290865482"]
[quote author=liltex link=topic=76671.msg919904#msg919904 date=1290865058]
Oh believe me it's a fail safe system w/multiple alarms.Not to worry you're not gonna run out of gas for the car :D
[/quote]

Plenty of incidents where there were not alarms. to quote one of the operators who works for me, I did not think we could have an incident with the compressor, we did not get any alarms. 200,000 pounds of propane later! I am not worried about gasoline, my plant will make it also!! Be safe please, your family is counting on you!!
[/quote]
Your a safety guy huh. ;D ;D Operators work for you? If there were no alarms, they wouldn't have known about it no matter what they were doing. Believe me, after 25 years I've learned that there are two levers in a plant. Lever A and Lever B. The community is much better off if we leave her be!!  ;D ;D

[quote name="fwstangs" post="919901" timestamp="1290864593"]
[quote author=Hawkeye link=topic=76671.msg919079#msg919079 date=1290764345]

[/quote]

You guys need to watch the control board and stop posting on here while running a plant. Process safety is critical to our neighbors and community. Need to ensure the kids and families are safe. Post on these forums at home please!!
[/quote]

Does typing the words "shut your" and "stinking friendswood mouth" get this post erased? 

Dayton has had some good atletes, but this coaching staff helps them maximize their potential.  Thereis really no way to compare the talent each year because they played against different competition.  It was good to see milkshake's name though...does he still work for the city?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami