Reggie Garrett Autopsy cardiac arrest; rare heart disease indicated

KFDM COOP

This touches me personally. I have hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy (HOCM). I was fortunate enough to play thru highschool sports without any problems, and wasn't diagnosed until my 30's. When Reggie passed away, I feared that this would be the case, because cardiomyopathy is a leading cause of sudden death in teenagers.

Once I was diagnosed, my first thoughts were for my children. My oldest has been screened, and cleared to participate in sports. My youngest is due to be screened next year. Due to my history, we are fortunate enough for Texas Children's to accept and examine them.

Although the screening process is expensive, my hope is that we will come to a place where we screen all children for this. If you have children playing sports, please do whatever it takes to have them screened.

The following link takes you to a site that has a nice, brief description of various forms of cardiomyopathy. It also claims to have a list, as a courtesy, of doctors who may be capable of diagnosing the disease.

http://www.childrenscardiomyopathy.org/site/description.php

God bless Reggie's family. My prayers are with them.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami