LaMarque vs. Yates 2nd Rd. Predictions?

KFDM COOP

[quote name="rollinac" post="907693" timestamp="1289691445"]
Haha...that's the first thing that popped in my head as well.  When was the last time an HISD School won a second round game? 
[/quote]

Don't forget Madison and Lamar while you laugh @HISD

[quote name="rollinac" post="907693" timestamp="1289691445"]
Haha...that's the first thing that popped in my head as well.  When was the last time an HISD School won a second round game? 
[/quote] Never know, could be another upset.

I do not believe an HISD school has won a championship in Texas high school football since the 1985 Yates Lions ... magnet schools and open boundaries have diluted talent pools so much that no HISD school has enough key players to win it all.  Vince Young and the Madison Marlins came close ... HISD's policies cut both ways ... it's good that students have choices of where to attend school, but those same policies have destroyed neighborhood schools ... football coaches never know which middle school talent will be fed into their systems.  You can find 5 kids to play basketball, but it is much more difficult to find 22 talented players to play football.  Plus, some schools in HISD get more resoruces than others.  Some schools only have 3 or 4 football coaches, whereas others have 9 or 10.  I don't know why some schools like Kashmere or Sam Houston get shortchanged, but they do.  I think the alumni of Jack Yates does a great job of trying to protect their neighborhood schools.  More HISD schools should follow that example.

LaMarque 24
Yates 22

Should be a good game.  Yates has some speed on defense.  LaMarque will not get outside of Yates and run away.  But, LaMarque can spread it out and throw it, or bunch it up and run inside.  Yates must avoid turnovers.

When I lived in Houston part time, the Yates faithful said they're losing 3rd Ward talent to Fort Bend and HISD rezoned Yates and gave some of the 3rd to Lamar.  After all of that, they still haven't missed the playoffs since '79 and either finished first or 2nd most of those years....

[quote name="SFA85" post="910962" timestamp="1289955405"]
When I lived in Houston part time, the Yates faithful said they're losing 3rd Ward talent to Fort Bend and HISD rezoned Yates and gave some of the 3rd to Lamar.  After all of that, they still haven't missed the playoffs since '79 and either finished first or 2nd most of those years....
[/quote]Lamar and Yates the only 2 HISD schools that i see ALWAYS in the playoffs past round 1.

[quote name="3BRONCOS2" post="910917" timestamp="1289949537"]
LaMarque by 2 TDs. Now in BB Yates by 40 points. :D
[/quote]

Actually, La Marque was the only team that played Yates tough last year in basketball. Forget the score, but it was respectable. For a game with Yates anyways.

[quote name="Scooter!" post="910974" timestamp="1289956742"]
[quote author=SFA85 link=topic=76059.msg910962#msg910962 date=1289955405]
[/quote]Lamar and Yates the only 2 HISD schools that i see ALWAYS in the playoffs past round 1.
[/quote]

Yea because they play HISD in round 1.  Sorry but if an HISD school wins a second round playoff game it is a major upset.

[quote name="1989NDN" post="910916" timestamp="1289949334"]
I do not believe an HISD school has won a championship in Texas high school football since the 1985 Yates Lions ... magnet schools and open boundaries have diluted talent pools so much that no HISD school has enough key players to win it all.  Vince Young and the Madison Marlins came close ... HISD's policies cut both ways ... it's good that students have choices of where to attend school, but those same policies have destroyed neighborhood schools ... football coaches never know which middle school talent will be fed into their systems.  You can find 5 kids to play basketball, but it is much more difficult to find 22 talented players to play football.  Plus, some schools in HISD get more resoruces than others.  Some schools only have 3 or 4 football coaches, whereas others have 9 or 10.  I don't know why some schools like Kashmere or Sam Houston get shortchanged, but they do.  I think the alumni of Jack Yates does a great job of trying to protect their neighborhood schools.  More HISD schools should follow that example.

LaMarque 24
Yates 22

Should be a good game.  Yates has some speed on defense.  LaMarque will not get outside of Yates and run away.  But, LaMarque can spread it out and throw it, or bunch it up and run inside.  Yates must avoid turnovers.
[/quote]

Without digressing into a rant and rave about the disgrace that is HISD I'll just say that I agree with you.  I would be surprised if the game was as close as your prediction though.  28-7 I'd guess.

[quote name="1989NDN" post="910916" timestamp="1289949334"]

LaMarque 24
Yates 22

Should be a good game.  Yates has some speed on defense.  LaMarque will not get outside of Yates and run away.  But, LaMarque can spread it out and throw it, or bunch it up and run inside.  Yates must avoid turnovers.
[/quote]
[color=navy][b]
Excuse me if I appear to be gloating but I simply don't see the score being that close at all. No disrespect intended to Yates but after squeaking by Wheatley by a little over a TD (14-6), LM put a whooping on Wheatley (48-7) that doesn't bode well for Yates come this Sat. Wheatley could get 80 put on them easy by F'wood although Van Meter wouldn't allow that to happen under his watch. Even lowly Ball High who won only 1 game all year managed to get it by beating Wheatley 21-7. Unfortunately, the coaching, discipline and depth at Yates in regards to football just isn't there as it is in the suburbs and HISD teams typically fold under the pressure and collapse. My Cougars by no stretch of the imagination are the powerhouse like they were in years past but they should be able to handle Yates for the most part pretty handily. LM...state champs...no, LM victorious over Yates...yes.

On a side note, Hawkeye you were pretty accurate in your assessment of the LM/Yates B-Ball game last year. Unfortunately Yates was the dominant team and we got tired hence the wheels started to fall off mid 3rd quarter and the route was on! Hopefully if we run into Yates again this year the game may go the other way this go-round? I saw where (#7) 4A Yates routed lowly Dickinson 128-65 but my (#3) 4A Coogs also put a 103-71 smack down on (#2) 5A FB Bush last night.[/b][/color]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    assfff
    Newest Member
    assfff