Local Media covering Youth Football - Why not STJFL??

Bulldog8

I saw on local tv news (KFDM) covering the Beaumont Bulls Saturday evening. For years the STJFL has asked for some coverage for our local kids and got the cold shoulder (unless if it was negative press). I think it is great that the Bulls got some covereage however they play in a Houston area league. The STJFL is all local teams in all age groups (all of KFDM'ss viewing area).

What are your thoughts?

[quote name="mfd814" post="886746" timestamp="1287976939"]
The Bulls also asked for coverage for years.  But I think they did this because its the first time all 4 of the Bulls made the playoffs at TIFI.   Great job to the Bulls and the Belles the cheer and drill teams. 
[/quote]
Congrats Bulls and Belles on making the playoffs. Goodluck!!!

[quote name="mfd814" post="886746" timestamp="1287976939"]
The Bulls also asked for coverage for years.  But I think they did this because its the first time all 4 of the Bulls made the playoffs at TIFI.   Great job to the Bulls and the Belles the cheer and drill teams. 
[/quote]
Absolutely congrats to the Bulls and glad they received some coverage. This in not intended to bash the Bulls.

I am not in media, but have had some dealings with radio and TV over the years. This is all about air time. It is a limited span that any media organization has to work with. If you take the time that each HS game gets even on the expanded Friday night shows you can see that it is only a couple of minutes if that.

I believe that things like the events at Ford Park are covered more for the economic impact that having all those teams comeing to Beaumont has. If you gave every youth football program just a couple of minutes each you would need an hour long show and you do not even get that with HS football.

Local papers do a better job, especially the weekly papers in the area. It is just a fact that youth sports (pee wee's) are never going to get air time, unless there is some wild play that someone sends in from a home movie. It is just the way that it is. Just encourage kids to stay with their sport and when they get to HS they will get on TV.

You can rest assured that if something bad happens in one of the leagues the media will be all over it.  All they want is a story that makes someone look bad, they rarely have good positive media about our kids.  We the STJFL have asked for just a 5 to 10 second spot to say something about the local teams in the play-offs and at the championship.  Bottom line, it is not news unless it is negative.

[quote name="In Limbo" post="887141" timestamp="1288028374"]
You can rest assured that if something bad happens in one of the leagues the media will be all over it.  All they want is a story that makes someone look bad, they rarely have good positive media about our kids.  We the STJFL have asked for just a 5 to 10 second spot to say something about the local teams in the play-offs and at the championship.  Bottom line, it is not news unless it is negative.
[/quote]

These youth practice their hearts out and play even harder.  They deserve recognition just as much as the High School kids do; especially for those teams that make it to the playoffs.

They are, afterall, the very ones that will be seen in a few years on the playing field on Friday Nights.  Given them some love news media; they deserve it!

[quote name="Rebel Yeller" post="887060" timestamp="1288024306"]
I am not in media, but have had some dealings with radio and TV over the years. This is all about air time. It is a limited span that any media organization has to work with. If you take the time that each HS game gets even on the expanded Friday night shows you can see that it is only a couple of minutes if that.

I believe that things like the events at Ford Park are covered more for the economic impact that having all those teams comeing to Beaumont has. If you gave every youth football program just a couple of minutes each you would need an hour long show and you do not even get that with HS football.

Local papers do a better job, especially the weekly papers in the area. It is just a fact that youth sports (pee wee's) are never going to get air time, unless there is some wild play that someone sends in from a home movie. It is just the way that it is. Just encourage kids to stay with their sport and when they get to HS they will get on TV.
[/quote]

Good post, very informative.  We try to get the Lonestar Events covered by the media as well, so I know where bulldog8 is coming from.

Respectfully, Queenb, no they do not deserve the same media attention as the High School Varsity teams do.  Could the media throw them a bone, like covering the STJFL Superbowl results? Sure.  With your line of thinking, every game of marbles or hopscotch would end up on the 6 o'clock news.  My son has played in the STJFL for three years and I am lucky enough to coach him.  He will have his chance for the Friday Night Lights.  Until then, his family gives him all the recognition he needs and deserves...

[quote name="GetSome" post="890479" timestamp="1288392402"]
Respectfully, Queenb, no they do not deserve the same media attention as the High School Varsity teams do.  Could the media throw them a bone, like covering the STJFL Superbowl results? Sure.  With your line of thinking, every game of marbles or hopscotch would end up on the 6 o'clock news.  My son has played in the STJFL for three years and I am lucky enough to coach him.  He will have his chance for the Friday Night Lights.  Until then, his family gives him all the recognition he needs and deserves...
[/quote]

my son has played for STJFL for 3 years also.  I have to disagree with you.  Of course, it is just my opinion, that during the playoffs, especially the superbowl, the kids do deserve to be recognized by the media.  They practice hard and play even harder.  If you know me, then you also know that my husband and I 100% support our son.  Do you know me?  Seems like everyone knows me.

[quote name="queenb77630" post="891134" timestamp="1288409183"]
[quote author=GetSome link=topic=75006.msg890479#msg890479 date=1288392402]
[/quote]

my son has played for STJFL for 3 years also.  I have to disagree with you.  Of course, it is just my opinion, that during the playoffs, especially the superbowl, the kids do deserve to be recognized by the media.  They practice hard and play even harder.  If you know me, then you also know that my husband and I 100% support our son.  Do you know me?   Seems like everyone knows me.
[/quote]

If they want to make mention of a Superbowl champ...great.  Past that, it's overkill.  What about the soccer boys/girls.  What about little dribblers, baseball, select teams, the chess club, karate and judo, boy scout patches, a girl having her period for the first time...can we put things in perspective?  They will get their chance.

[quote name="GetSome" post="891162" timestamp="1288409569"]
[quote author=queenb77630 link=topic=75006.msg891134#msg891134 date=1288409183]
[quote author=GetSome link=topic=75006.msg890479#msg890479 date=1288392402]
[/quote]

my son has played for STJFL for 3 years also.  I have to disagree with you.  Of course, it is just my opinion, that during the playoffs, especially the superbowl, the kids do deserve to be recognized by the media.  They practice hard and play even harder.  If you know me, then you also know that my husband and I 100% support our son.  Do you know me?   Seems like everyone knows me.
[/quote]

If they want to make mention of a Superbowl champ...great.  Past that, it's overkill.  What about the soccer boys/girls.  What about little dribblers, baseball, select teams, the chess club, karate and judo, boy scout patches, a girl having her period for the first time...can we put things in perspective?  They will get their chance.
[/quote]

LMBO  ;D  ;D  ;D

:o GetSome ; that was funny if not kinda gross! :o

Okay, I will give up on trying to convince you to be a member of my court and agree with me!  ;D

I have plenty of pics of my son playing.  Guess when it comes down to it, it is up to the parents to give props to their own kids!

See you at the game (I guess).

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder