Hamshire Fannett-Rebuilding Year?

Rome wasn't built in a day.  HF's Football Program has been in decline for several years.  The last playoff appearance was the first year that Paul Walker was head coach.  To expect it to come back in a single year was never realistic.  Athletes, Parents, Coaches and Administrators all had a role to play in the decline.  I have seen evidence that several things are moving in the right direction.  Will the Athletes commit to doing what it takes to achieve their potential?  Will the parents serve as a positive influence within the program and community?  Will the coaches be successful in preparing the athletes to achieve?  Will the administrators find the optimum balance between academics and athletics that will encourage growth in the district?  Only time and patience will yield the answer.

[quote name="kvillecats9876" post="882275" timestamp="1287623025"]
I don't remember hf being good at all. Don't see it as a rebuilding season but a normal season rather
[/quote]
Enjoy your current success and work to sustain it.  Its a lot harder to get it back once you've lost it.

HF was a football powerhouse during the 70's, 80's and 90's. Nobody anywhere wanted to play them. When Coach Tarver left a few years ago, a proven winning coach (Paul Walker) came in and HF went to the playoffs his first year. Then 21-3A was redistricted and HF found themselves playing schools much bigger. HF's then Supt. (Marianne Condo) did a behind the scenes hatchet job on Paul Walker. She then hired Walt Mangan who only had two years head coaching experience (1-9 and 3-7). She hired this guy totally against the wishes of the community. As a result, Ms. Condo was strongly urged to retire. Keith Elliot became the new Supt. (he is really a good football guy) and tried to clean up the mess by firing Mangan and hiring Coach Don Price. The bottom line is HF is recovering from the damage done by the previous administration. Mr. Elliot has things going in the right direction and HF has some powerhouse teams on their way. Some truly outstanding athletes in the lower grades if we can just keep the other schools from recruiting them away from us. We have recently lost three All-District caliber athletes to Nederland, Katy and Austin. Kids are working hard and they really respect Coach Price and his staff.

Now that's what I call some pretty good spin..."if we can just keep the other schools from recruiting them away from us. We have recently lost three All-District caliber athletes to Nederland, Katy and Austin". I can just imagine the staff at Katy or Lake Travis sitting around deciding which players at small high schools they can recruit into their programs...Hey Coach Bob, we got a kid down at censored High School we're looking at that could play special teams for us...Should we make an offer?

My guess their famlies just moved out of the district.

I guess you missed the point. Not saying that H-F doesn't miss the players but in the real world people move for much more important reasons than the quality of the local football program. Daddy may have gotten a job offer in Austin or Momma got a promotion in Katy. Lets see...Austin or Hamshire...Katy or Fannett...Duh

Of course you're going to tell me that you're 'in the know' and it's a fact that these players moved or we're 'recruited' only because of football. It just doesn't fly.

[quote name="Glad19" post="882499" timestamp="1287668531"]
HF was a football powerhouse during the 70's, 80's and 90's. Nobody anywhere wanted to play them. When Coach Tarver left a few years ago, a proven winning coach (Paul Walker) came in and HF went to the playoffs his first year. Then 21-3A was redistricted and HF found themselves playing schools much bigger. HF's then Supt. (Marianne Condo) did a behind the scenes hatchet job on Paul Walker. She then hired Walt Mangan who only had two years head coaching experience (1-9 and 3-7). She hired this guy totally against the wishes of the community. As a result, Ms. Condo was strongly urged to retire. Keith Elliot became the new Supt. (he is really a good football guy) and tried to clean up the mess by firing Mangan and hiring Coach Don Price. The bottom line is HF is recovering from the damage done by the previous administration. Mr. Elliot has things going in the right direction and HF has some powerhouse teams on their way. Some truly outstanding athletes in the lower grades if we can just keep the other schools from recruiting them away from us. We have recently lost three All-District caliber athletes to Nederland, Katy and Austin. Kids are working hard and they really respect Coach Price and his staff.
[/quote]

Thats funny, half the reason Mangan didnt win is because most of the kids quit him or layed down on him  and all the parents hated him. Why would anyone recruit from a team that has won 3 or 4 games on 3 years. Get over yourself.

[quote name="Glad19" post="882499" timestamp="1287668531"]
HF was a football powerhouse during the 70's, 80's and 90's. Nobody anywhere wanted to play them. When Coach Tarver left a few years ago, a proven winning coach (Paul Walker) came in and HF went to the playoffs his first year. Then 21-3A was redistricted and HF found themselves playing schools much bigger. HF's then Supt. (Marianne Condo) did a behind the scenes hatchet job on Paul Walker. She then hired Walt Mangan who only had two years head coaching experience (1-9 and 3-7). She hired this guy totally against the wishes of the community. As a result, Ms. Condo was strongly urged to retire. [/quote]

Glad to see you have no clue what you're talking about.  Everyone that has read this post is now dumber for having done so. Where do I start? First, Walker did NOT make playoffs his first year, as he took the helm of the 2002 season, and HF missed the playoffs, he made it in his 2nd year against BH.  Then, in the 3rd year, realignment happened, HF went 5-5 and missed the playoffs, then 3-6 in '05, and then something about the same in '06, missing the playoffs again.  To say "behind the scenes" is totally off track and there were 5 years to do what needed to be done.  Now, I'm not slamming Walker, as I liked him as a person and he was a great AD over all sports, just had a bad run in football.  You obviously don't remember how many of the "fans" were up in arms about getting a new coach back in those days.  Get your head outta your arse and get your facts straight.  She may have taken part in the Mangan hire, but to blame the total lack of success on her is plain stupidity, as I'm sure she was more worried about other aspects of Academia than she was about football, such as Exemplary Campuses across the entire school. 

One more thing, Mangan did go 5-5 in his first year, missed playoffs, but still went 5-5.  You sir, need to realize that spewing this type of crap on here isn't helping in the effort to get behind the school for the one day when it will finally make its comeback in football.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="Otter" post="882269" timestamp="1287622642"]
Rome wasn't built in a day.  HF's Football Program has been in decline for several years.  The last playoff appearance was the first year that Paul Walker was head coach.  To expect it to come back in a single year was never realistic.  Athletes, Parents, Coaches and Administrators all had a role to play in the decline.  I have seen evidence that several things are moving in the right direction.  Will the Athletes commit to doing what it takes to achieve their potential?  Will the parents serve as a positive influence within the program and community?  Will the coaches be successful in preparing the athletes to achieve?  Will the administrators find the optimum balance between academics and athletics that will encourage growth in the district?  Only time and patience will yield the answer.
[/quote]

Good post Otter.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="882919" timestamp="1287703569"]
Championships are made during the summer. I'm sure the HF coaches are preparing for the future right now. It's all about playing for pride from this point.
[/quote]

Yes, the realignment has hurt the smaller schools (HF, HJ and OF). The OF and HF teams of the 70's and 80's would have competed and beat the teams of WOS, Silsbee and Bridge City of today. The reason is back then we was mentally, physically and tougher than the teams of today. Not to mention we was in way better condition. Can the smaller schools compete? You bet they can but not on a regular basis. You say summer workouts is what championships are made of. Back in our day there was no planned summer workout. We all had jobs so we could buy a car, fix a car, put gas in our car and take a girl out on a date in which we paid for not our parents or the girl. Times have changed and I realize that. But IMO not for the better. I promise you this, the teams from the 70's and 80's (OF and HF) would beat the teams of today ( OF and HF) by a lot.  We did not have better athletes back then either.

[quote name="Otter" post="882288" timestamp="1287624101"]
[quote author=kvillecats9876 link=topic=74756.msg882275#msg882275 date=1287623025]
I don't remember hf being good at all. Don't see it as a rebuilding season but a normal season rather
[/quote]
Enjoy your current success and work to sustain it.  Its a lot harder to get it back once you've lost it.
[/quote]

im still young, but i dont remember HF ever "having it"...

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="FootballFan96" post="883007" timestamp="1287709915"]
[quote author=Otter link=topic=74756.msg882288#msg882288 date=1287624101]
[quote author=kvillecats9876 link=topic=74756.msg882275#msg882275 date=1287623025]
[/quote]
[/quote]

im still young, but i dont remember HF ever "having it"...
[/quote]

I can tell you that yes they did. Back in 1979 they played Sealy in the playoffs. Sealy had a running back named Eric Dickerson. Sealy won state that year and Hamphire gave them a run for their money. Orangefield beat Hamphire that year 35-28 on a touchdown pass with 20 seconds left on the clock. All we had to do was win one of our last two games and we lost both. Back then only one team went to the playoffs. My point is both team could have competed with Sealy, We was probably number two and three in the state next to Sealy. Sealy killed everyone else.

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="883071" timestamp="1287712544"]
H-F did have some good teams in the early 90's I think. They had a running back, can't remember his name, but he was one of the best in the area. They've been on a decline since then and haven't had anything in about 15-16 years. Don't have enough talented depth.
[/quote] Was it Felman Malveaux?  maybe

[quote name="outanup" post="883107" timestamp="1287714447"]
[quote author=Scalp'em link=topic=74756.msg883071#msg883071 date=1287712544]
H-F did have some good teams in the early 90's I think. They had a running back, can't remember his name, but he was one of the best in the area. They've been on a decline since then and haven't had anything in about 15-16 years. Don't have enough talented depth.
[/quote] Was it Felman Malveaux?   maybe
[/quote]

Felman was a receiver. He's probably talking about Anthony Semien or Spencer George.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="outanup" post="883107" timestamp="1287714447"]
[/quote] Was it Felman Malveaux?   maybe
[/quote]

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think he was a wide reciever. At least I think he went to Notre Dame as a reciever. Did'nt he go to Notre Dame?

[quote name="bleed orange" post="883123" timestamp="1287714999"]
[quote author=outanup link=topic=74756.msg883107#msg883107 date=1287714447]
[/quote] Was it Felman Malveaux?  maybe
[/quote]

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think he was a wide reciever. At least I think he went to Notre Dame as a reciever. Did'nt he go to Notre Dame?
[/quote] I was thinking Michigan?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83