Dayton Broncos

[quote name="bronco1" post="866539" timestamp="1286303726"]
[quote author=Tyrone_Biggums link=topic=73983.msg866461#msg866461 date=1286297490]
[quote author=bronco1 link=topic=73983.msg866414#msg866414 date=1286293849]
[quote author=dayton link=topic=73983.msg866397#msg866397 date=1286291768]
[quote author=Hawkeye link=topic=73983.msg866396#msg866396 date=1286291659]
Now you guys are thinking! I like it. Seriously though, can anyone remember Stewart trying any fakes or trick plays of any kind? I can't remember any for the last several years, but considering my memory, that aint sayin much.
[/quote]

All I can think of is the one wher AJ would go in motion, take the pitch and throw it deep.... usually to Ronnie Powell.
[/quote]

Used to use it with Andrew Thomas as well, Green's Sophmore year. Effective but not usually necessary. Besides its early in the year, we are still in the front of the play book.

I would like to address Dayton fanse questioning the play calling. Nations and Krause spend countless hours developing these game plans based on the opponents defensive scheme and every week it changes. I don't pretend to know or understand everything these coaches do, but please don't question the play calling when you don't even know the game plan. Have you ever questioned a play and then 2 plays later we are in the endzone. That questionable play may have been what set it up. There are plenty of other aspects of the game to complain about and discuss without questioning our coaches.
[/quote]

I'll bite on this one...

Play calling is one of the first things questioned when things aren't going well and it's also one of the first things to be overlooked when you are winning big.  BUT, it's OK to question the play calling, that's one of the things that makes watching a game fun.  Just remember that this can be done without negativity and there is no need to run the coaching staff (or players) down.  With that said, players rarely play "perfect" games and coaches don't coach the "perfect" game.  Sometimes the playcalling will be botched because a human element will always exist.  Sometimes a bad play call will result in a touchdown and a great play call will result in a five yard loss.

Here are a few observations I've had over the past few years from watching the Broncos:

Short/Lateral sideline passes are not as effective against fast teams as they are against slow teams.

A zone read run play doesn't work well when your o-line is getting blown up.

If the opposing defense is blitzing, it's better to throw short or intermediate passes than long passes that depend on routes that take a long time to develop.

If a team relies on these three options in adverse game conditions they are likely to lose.

Sometimes these three options are the only options that you have and you have to dance with the one that brought you.

[/quote]

Once again you are right on, taking all of these things into consideration its hard to question play calling unless your team is getting blown-up. If your team is sucking, you can question play calling.
Questioning play calling just to have something to talk about is permissable, after all it is a forum. Permissable and ridiculous, I just take offense to the criticism of our coaches, especially by our own fans. That said maybe  I am just a little touchy.
[/quote]

Yes I think you are being a little touchy. No one is criticizing coaches. Just a few guys talking about some of our teams plays and what we would enjoy seeing on the field. Thank you for the permission to be ridiculous.

I guess I'll just join in with the 30 pages of the "hill is for real" crap or "flippin weenies" bs, instead of trying to talk football. Talk about ridiculous. ::)

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="866483" timestamp="1286299306"]
[quote author=Tyrone_Biggums link=topic=73983.msg866473#msg866473 date=1286298282]
[quote author=BrenhamFan link=topic=73983.msg866469#msg866469 date=1286298023]
[quote author=Tyrone_Biggums link=topic=73983.msg866464#msg866464 date=1286297582]
[quote author=BrenhamFan link=topic=73983.msg866458#msg866458 date=1286297394]
[quote author=Broncofan65 link=topic=73983.msg866271#msg866271 date=1286280067]
We are solid but we still need a few games with no turnovers. Good teams will beat us 3 rounds into the palyoffs if we are still turning the ball over. But yes, We are all around solid and probably will not loose in District. 
[/quote]

Correction*  It would be round 2, not round 3.
[/quote]

You might be in for a surprise and find yourself on the bad side of 2 out of 3.  But by all means.....keep talking.
[/quote]

I'm just saying that the round 2 game, would likely be harder than the round 3 game for either team.  (not that were gonna dominate or anything) I will keep talking though, but i'm waiting till I see name Dayton next to ours in the playoff bracket.
[/quote]

You keep forgetting that you guys are going to go on a losing streak and end up on the other side of the bracket...How many times do I have to tell you this?
[/quote]

It's possible...
[/quote]

"taxpayer" Hum....let me think about this one...that word always comes up when it comes to school "business"...I guess that means teachers and coaches, who are taxpayers, pay themselves. Just saying. Everyone has an opinion and it's a free country. Now back to football...

[quote name="SETEXFan" post="866698" timestamp="1286320871"]
"taxpayer" Hum....let me think about this one...that word always comes up when it comes to school "business"...I guess that means teachers and coaches, who are taxpayers, pay themselves. Just saying. Everyone has an opinion and it's a free country. [b]Now back to football...[/b]
[/quote]

I thought that's what we were doing. Or trying to do. But it turns out that it was criticizing coaches by asking when the last time we ran a trick play was. So from now on..........the hill is for reel! hehehehe Have a chili dog! hehehehe ;D

Guest octfeb
I have a football related question.  :o When your in the last minutes of the game, your team is ahead. The QB knees the ball to run out the clock. I know the score has alot to do with it. I have heard Bronco fans screaming at the other team for doing that to the Broncos. And my thought at that moment was, why are they mad? The Broncos have done that before.

Do you think they should continue playing or knee the ball.  :-\

[quote name="octfeb" post="866760" timestamp="1286326193"]
I have a football related question.  :o When your in the last minutes of the game, your team is ahead. The QB knees the ball to run out the clock. I know the score has alot to do with it. I have heard Bronco fans screaming at the other team for doing that to the Broncos. And my thought at that moment was, why are they mad? The Broncos have done that before.

Do you think they should continue playing or knee the ball.  :-\
[/quote]

Kneel and protect the win.

The Southwest’s Leading Football Source Since 1960 sign in
Texas Football 
  STOREHighschool Recruiting College Pro Help Test Scores News
All News DCTF Game Day Apparel Coaching Changes Player of the Week Army Teams of the Week The Player of the Year Links Events
Magazine Scores Standings Rankings Stats Blogs Schedules Radio Members Media Records Tickets   

What's NewNo slowing Big Country 4A recap: Blowouts and wild finishes Highschool » News
4A recap: Blowouts and wild finishes10/04/2010
By Travis Stewart/Texas Football -- Some scores big, some scores little in 4A.

Looking for the crazy finish? Ask Cedar Park, or Friendswood. Want a blowout victory to digest? Check in with Sherman, or Dayton, or Corsicana. There's no in-between this week in 4A, as every game we previewed last week ended up one-sided or as a near coin-flip. Enjoy!

Amarillo Caprock 49, Wolfforth Frenship 35
DCTF's pick: Caprock 24, Frenship 17
Notes: We knew Caprock's offense could move the ball, but 49 points against Frenship is more than just moving it — it's more or less doing whatever you want with it. Caprock's win over Frenship means it has a very good chance of making the playoffs for the first time in 35 years, and it scored 28 straight points in the final two frames to make that still-far away dream ever closer to a reality. Caprock QB Gerardo Ruiz threw for more than 300 yards and no interceptions, and Caprock rang up more than 300 yards of offense in the second half.

Dallas Kimball 23, Dallas South Oak Cliff 14
DCTF's pick: Kimball 31, SOC 27
Notes: Sometimes, when you get an opponent backed up against its own endzone, you can more or less manufacture your own luck. That's what Kimball did this weekend, registering both a safety (first quarter) and recovering a fumble in the endzone (fourth quarter) to give itself all the cushion it would need. The fumble recovery brooke up an otherwise scoreless second half, as neither team had much success finishing drives. SOC turned the ball over four times and punted four times.

Sherman 60, Sulphur Springs 34
DCTF's pick: Sulphur Springs 41, Sherman 37
Notes: If you throw five interceptions against Sherman — two of which were returned for touchdowns — and pair it with 12 penalties for more than 100 yards, the Bearcat offense will just eat you alive ... and that's exactly what happened this weekend. The turnovers continually put Sulphur Springs in a bad position to slow the already potent Sherman assault, as Thor Long threw for more than 300 yards anf four TDs (and two INTs, himself). It also didn't help that Springs' leading tackler, Tylan Harris, left with an injury and is expected to miss the entire season.

Corsicana 44, Mesquite Poteet 10
DCTF's pick: Mesquite Poteet 23, Corsicana 12
Notes: Well, this one was at least close at halftime, as Corsicana held just a 17-10 lead after Poteet rattled off ten second-quarter points. But Poteet never scored again, and Corsicana got three touchdown passes out of Cameron Cutrer to go along with a run game that put seven different kids in double-digit yards for the evening. Poteet generated just 173 yards of offense to Corsicana's 481, and Poteet's only touchdown came with seconds left in the first half off of a deflected pass into the endzone.

Hutto 48, Manor 0
DCTF's pick: Hutto 42, Manor 28
Notes: How well is Hutto playing right now? Manor generated just 39 yards of offense — total. Manor turned the ball over four times, including twice on kickoffs deep in their own territory. Hutto's ground game feasted on field position, graced with four drives that started inside of the Manor 30-yard line. Xavier Wynn rushed for five touchdowns and 190 yards, the vast majority of which came in the first half. Wynn blew the doors open in the second quarter, when Hutto scored 34 points and all but ended any threat.

Dayton 52, Galena Park 23
DCTF's pick: Galena Park 29, Dayton 21
Notes: It would appear that the big offense out at Dayton has found its stride again, and after combining for just 41 points in its first three games, Dayton has now scored 106 in its past two. Galena Park actually led this game, 16-14, with just under five minutes to play in the first half. But Dayton outscored GP 38-7 the rest of the way, primarily behind the efforts of Jakari Delasbour, who caught a 64-yard touchdown pass, returned a kick 91 yards for another, and ran for two more (six yards and one yard), all in the final 29 minutes, to fuel the comeback.

Pasadena Rayburn 37, Houston Austin 30
DCTF's pick: Rayburn 31, Austin 17
Notes: A late Austin rally fell a touchdown short this weekend, as Austin scored twice in the final quarter (while holding Rayburn scoreless) to crawl within seven. But ultimately, a turnover, 11 penalties and four punts did just enough to derail this offense into a loss. Rayburn RB Eric Aldava ran for 178 yards and two touchdowns, while QB Agustin Velasquez ran for one as well and threw for 131 and a touchdown. Despite the loss, Austin should be well pleased to have still been in a chance to tie or win late in the game, since the 4A HISD teams rarely win games outside of their districts, especially against 5A foes.

Friendswood 34, Pearland Dawson 27
DCTF's pick: Friendswood 41, Dawson 29
Notes: We knew that Friendswood would have a hard time with Dawson star Marcus Vaughn, who is one of the most athletic and explosive stars in the Houston area. But Vaughn was special this weekend, even in defeat — he threw for a TD, ran for a TD and caught a TD to single-handedly keep Dawson in the game against the heavily favored Mustangs. But in the end, Peter Maetzold's one-yard touchdown run with 1:20 left on the clock broke a tie and pushed Friendswood to a win. Maetzold was all the offense Friendswood would need this weekend, throwing for three scores and rushing for the other two.

Cedar Park 36, Cedar Park Vista Ridge 35
DCTF's pick: Cedar Park 47, Vista Ridge 29
Notes: Out of all of this weekend's scores, this is the one that shocked me the most — Cedar Park had been so thoroughly dominant to this point in the season that a one-point spread seemed impossible. And to think that CP could have lost! Chris Ross opted for two on a last-second touchdown and saw Brian Hogan cap the 89-yard touchdown drive with a pass to Michael Waterfield to set the final margin. Vista Ridge took its only lead of the night with a little over two minutes to play on a fourth-down one-yard touchdown run,  but Joe Washington's touchdown catch roughly two minutes later was the highlight of the night.

back to news list

Email

Password

Remember me next time?

Forgot Your Password?

Not a subscriber yet?
By registering on TexasFootball.com you'll get instant access to exclusive content and printed magazines. learn more »

UNT quarterback Dodge has broken wrist »
DCTF Power Poll: Open audition »
Class 3A-2A-1A recap: Caldwell, Kirbyville impress »
4A recap: Blowouts and wild finishes »
5A Recap: Minor upsets »
Texas Football Tickets

Dallas Cowboys Tickets

NFL Tickets

Gridiron Legends Player of the Week, presented by Cavenders and Wrangler
Jonathan Aldridge, Whitehouse WR (4%)
Jakari Delasbour, Dayton RB (8%)
Josh Gatling, McAllen Rowe QB (22%)
Derrick Lair, Alief Taylor RB (2%)
Paul Millard, Flower Mound QB (6%)
Ryan Owens, Brownsboro QB (2%)
Rey Rodriguez, CC Ray QB (38%)
Dalton Stogner, Highland Park WR (4%)
Danzel Williams, Arlington Martin RB (4%)
Dorian Williams, Fort Bend Elkins RB (3%)
  Special OfferWhat is being overheard around the state of Texas
WaterCooler Talk  [b][/b]
[b][/b]Go to Dave Campbell's site and vote for Jakari Delasbour for player of the week -

[quote name="jayhawk" post="866932" timestamp="1286353276"]
In the biggest upset of the weekend, Elkins knocked out Hightower 45-33 in 23-5A play. QB Jake Burkhalter had a stellar game, completing 20 of 26 passes for 263 yards and three touchdowns.- Tell  me Dayton can't hang with the big boy's - ;)
[/quote]

Ya but Dayton lost to both. ;)

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="866934" timestamp="1286354007"]
[quote author=jayhawk link=topic=73983.msg866932#msg866932 date=1286353276]
In the biggest upset of the weekend, Elkins knocked out Hightower 45-33 in 23-5A play. QB Jake Burkhalter had a stellar game, completing 20 of 26 passes for 263 yards and three touchdowns.- Tell  me Dayton can't hang with the big boy's - ;)
[/quote]

[/quote] Nobody said we won !  We should of but we didn't - for Elkins our D-1 prospect WR Fowler didn't even play and I think our number two WR was hurt also - Dayton always starts slow and peaks at playoff time this years team is improving by leaps and bounds we are going to be really dangerous come play-off time ! ;D

[quote name="jayhawk" post="866941" timestamp="1286356401"]
[quote author=BrenhamFan link=topic=73983.msg866934#msg866934 date=1286354007]
[/quote]

[/quote] Nobody said we won !  We should of but we didn't - for Elkins our D-1 prospect [b]WR Fowler didn't even [/b] play and I think our number two WR was hurt also - Dayton always starts slow and peaks at playoff time this years team is improving by leaps and bounds we are going to be really dangerous come play-off time ! ;D
[/quote]

Fowler did play... he had the Friday Football Frenzy play of the week with a long pass reception from Andres.  ;)

You're right about Reyes though.

I agree with you, Elkins putting it on Hightower like that, makes the 8-3 game vs Elkins look a lot better.

[quote name="dayton" post="866964" timestamp="1286367875"]
[quote author=jayhawk link=topic=73983.msg866941#msg866941 date=1286356401]
[/quote]

[/quote] Nobody said we won !  We should of but we didn't - for Elkins our D-1 prospect [b]WR Fowler didn't even [/b] play and I think our number two WR was hurt also - Dayton always starts slow and peaks at playoff time this years team is improving by leaps and bounds we are going to be really dangerous come play-off time ! ;D
[/quote]

Fowler did play... he had the Friday Football Frenzy play of the week with a long pass reception from Andres.  ;)

I agree with you, Elkins putting it on Hightower like that, makes the 8-3 game vs Elkins look a lot better.
[/quote][quote author=dayton link=topic=73983.msg866964#msg866964 date=1286367875]
In the biggest upset of the weekend, Elkins knocked out Hightower 45-33 in 23-5A play. QB Jake Burkhalter had a stellar game, completing 20 of 26 passes for 263 yards and three touchdowns.- Tell  me Dayton can't hang with the big boy's - ;)
[/quote]

[/quote] Nobody said we won !  We should of but we didn't - for Elkins our D-1 prospect [b]WR Fowler didn't even [/b] play and I think our number two WR was hurt also - Dayton always starts slow and peaks at playoff time this years team is improving by leaps and bounds we are going to be really dangerous come play-off time ! ;D
[/quote]

[/quote][quote author=dayton link=topic=73983.msg866964#msg866964 date=1286367875]
In the biggest upset of the weekend, Elkins knocked out Hightower 45-33 in 23-5A play. QB Jake Burkhalter had a stellar game, completing 20 of 26 passes for 263 yards and three touchdowns.- Tell  me Dayton can't hang with the big boy's - ;)
[/quote]

[/quote] Nobody said we won !  We should of but we didn't - for Elkins our D-1 prospect [b]WR Fowler didn't even [/b] play and I think our number two WR was hurt also - Dayton always starts slow and peaks at playoff time this years team is improving by leaps and bounds we are going to be really dangerous come play-off time ! ;D
[/quote]

[/quote]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83