Braided line

liltex

I've spent the bucks,read the pro's and con's,talked to many @ tackle stores and I'm looking for your input for saltwater bay/wade surf braided line to put on a curado w/a 6'6"TTF trout tamer rod.The last 3 times I cut the backlashes out and trashed the stuff.I have backed off the drag and reset the cast contrl knob so I switched back to 15# big game mono.I'm told Cabela's has a round braid that won't bury in the spool.IDEAS?

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name="Piratefan23" post="846459" timestamp="1284401917"]
[quote author=tvc184 link=topic=72375.msg837246#msg837246 date=1283500133]
Power Pro.

It is round and slick. I am not saying that some other brands are not but I know that Spider Wire is not unless they have made changes to it.
[/quote]

I have 50lb Power Pro on a Revo Inshore and it works flawlessly. All my buddies use it too.
[/quote]

Yeah, I have never had a problem with it other than those that just come with any braided line like having to use different knots and the stuff is hard to cut with a knife. It is different though and I understand those that don't like it. I don't know that I like it so much but it is not from the stuff not working. Mono is certainly easier to use. Ever try to cut braided with your teeth?  :D

[quote name="liltex" post="837181" timestamp="1283483988"]
I've spent the bucks,read the pro's and con's,talked to many @ tackle stores and I'm looking for your input for saltwater bay/wade surf braided line to put on a curado w/a 6'6"TTF trout tamer rod.The last 3 times I cut the backlashes out and trashed the stuff.I have backed off the drag and reset the cast contrl knob so I switched back to 15# big game mono.I'm told Cabela's has a round braid that won't bury in the spool.IDEAS?
[/quote]

Now you know to ask a BH fan about this subject......LOL  Since your using a Curado for casting, look online at Cabelas or tacklewarehouse and order McCoy Mean Geen Braid.  Their braid has more "slick" stuff in it and it will cast better for a longer period of time.  For your Curado, I recommend the 50lb class braid, which has a diameter of 10lb mono.  I use the 65 for bass fishing in heavy brush and use the 80 lb for offshore casting.  For my big offshore reels, I use Jerry Brown hollow braid, but it's very expensive.  

[url=http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/McCoy_Mean_Green_Braided_Line/descpage-MCMGBL.html]http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/McCoy_Mean_Green_Braided_Line/descpage-MCMGBL.html[/url]

Surely you meen Jerry Browns hollow braid for offshore, Ive been useing Suffix 30lb braid for over a yr on all my reels including 2 E7s and 2 Stradics, I've recently switched to Fins 'Windtammer'  in 30lb, I have jerked several fish >out of the water when setting the hook with both Suffix and the Fins, no more problem getting a good hookset on flounders. You have to get used to it, the only cpl of drawbacks is its hard to cut along with being hard to breakoff but I do use a 20lb fluro leader so most of the time it'll break below the swivel, another thing is you'l have to lighten up your drag for specks to make up for the NO STRETCH you have with braid....

[quote name="643" post="847881" timestamp="1284557581"]
Surely you meen Jerry Browns hollow braid for offshore, Ive been useing Suffix 30lb braid for over a yr on all my reels including 2 E7s and 2 Stradics, I've recently switched to Fins 'Windtammer'  in 30lb, I have jerked several fish >out of the water when setting the hook with both Suffix and the Fins, no more problem getting a good hookset on flounders. You have to get used to it, the only cpl of drawbacks is its hard to cut along with being hard to breakoff but I do use a 20lb fluro leader so most of the time it'll break below the swivel, another thing is you'l have to lighten up your drag for specks to make up for the NO STRETCH you have with braid....
[/quote]

Good points.  Jerk too hard and you reel in lips.  My light tackle with braid is used a lot for jerking big bass out of mesquite and sage brush on Falcon lake in Zapata, Texas.  Mono just won't do the trick down there.  I also use smaller braid for deep crank baits because the line has a smaller diameter and less drag in the water.  I can get a DD-22 or Rapala Down Deep (older bait) down fast and deep with a 30-55lb braid.  Also helps to be able and pull it off a limb when needed.  As mentioned above, you feel everything since there is no stretch, so the craink bait feels like it's in on the end of your rod when reeling.  As stated, loosen the drag just a bit.   

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed