when i played

Man i wish they would had all this coverage when i played all these camps the exposure of the internet, its a crying shame cause you had stud ball players like john evans kenny ford, myself, kevins henry and otis sowell from pa austin, then u had ernest gipson and derek giron from the bees and then you had kk vincent ray jenkins john clayton from tj then you had that stud linebacker from wos jeff knox and brian cleveland then the explosive malcolm frank, that was sum good football back in the day wish we had more coverage like these kids have

Recruits did their homework back then.  Now you have the Rivals and the other dot com internet sites that hype kids up to the point which a kid can be a 5-Star athlete while wearing shorts instead of actual film study.  Alot of money wasted on paper athletes these days....

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="SFA85" post="814280" timestamp="1277319791"]
Recruits did their homework back then.  Now you have the Rivals and the other dot com internet sites that hype kids up to the point which a kid can be a 5-Star athlete while wearing shorts instead of actual film study.  Alot of money wasted on paper athletes these days....
[/quote]

I agree, I think the athletes of today are bigger, faster and stonger but they are not even close to being as tough and conditioned as we were. (1980)

[quote name="bleed orange" post="814282" timestamp="1277320177"]
[quote author=SFA85 link=topic=70674.msg814280#msg814280 date=1277319791]
[/quote]

I agree, I think the athletes of today are bigger, faster and stonger but they are not even close to being as tough and conditioned as we were. (1980)
[/quote]

Totally agree..  (1982)

IMO - It may help a little but if you were that good they were going to find out about you back in the 70's, 80's and 90's, the internet seems to overhype kids. No telling how much parents/kids are paying to be a part of all these recruiting websites. Big money maker... Look how many don't pan out.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="EagleEyes" post="814304" timestamp="1277325930"]
IMO - It may help a little but if you were that good they were going to find out about you back in the 70's, 80's and 90's, the internet seems to overhype kids. No telling how much parents/kids are paying to be a part of all these recruiting websites. Big money maker...[color=red] Look how many don't pan out. [/color] [/quote]

I agree again, When you have AAU coaches living in big fancy homes and they are telling kids and parents "I can get your kid to the next level" when in fact they can't because your kid is not talented enough and he/she knows that. There is a big problem. AAU and Select ball coaches are kind of like preachers of a church, some are in it for the right reasons and some of them are not. If you want to get your kid noticed the internet is not the way to go. Good old fashion do the work yourself. Mail tapes to coaches and send them information and stay on top of them. The internet is good for communicating with coaches and IMO that is about it. Some people like to hear a voice instead of words on an email.

Go WAY back to the days atheletes DID NOT have air condition to cool off-no Gatoraide type drinks-no face masks on the leather helmets-Mouthpiece duh?No turf or Nike shoes or UnderArmour threads or stocking leggins.My dad always said Bmt.High lineman Bum Phillips(Lamar)(Hou.Oiler Coach)was the meanest of all he ever met.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="liltex" post="814345" timestamp="1277340886"]
Go WAY back to the days atheletes DID NOT have air condition to cool off-no Gatoraide type drinks-no face masks on the leather helmets-Mouthpiece duh?No turf or Nike shoes or UnderArmour threads or stocking leggins.My dad always said Bmt.High lineman Bum Phillips(Lamar)(Hou.Oiler Coach)was the meanest of all he ever met.
[/quote]

good post, your dad is a smart man.

All this is true but to me the game is more fun to watch now. And there are still plenty of kids in this area that play with the same amount of fire and without fear. I feel lucky that I get to see a lot of them play and progress from underclassman to college careers and possible NFL draft picks.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="ShlyKBMT" post="814358" timestamp="1277345285"]
All this is true but to me the game is more fun to watch now. And there are still plenty of kids in this area that play with the same amount of fire and without fear. I feel lucky that I get to see a lot of them play and progress from underclassman to college careers and possible NFL draft picks.
[/quote]

I agree, there are some that play with no fear but not the passion or the conditioning we had in the 70's and 80's. I am sure that we did not have the toughness or conditioning that the players had in the 50's or 60's. The teams of the 80's on down would beat the teams of today bad. Not even close. ;D ;D

[quote name="Aces_Full" post="814410" timestamp="1277391203"]
SFA87 is whining he didn't get enough exposure 23 yrs. ago???  LOL.  I like how you lump yourself in with those other guys who got D1 scholarships.  Where did you play college ball? 
[/quote]

I guess there's no country for old men.....

[quote name="buckin bronco 09" post="814566" timestamp="1277439665"]
[quote author=Aces_Full link=topic=70674.msg814410#msg814410 date=1277391203]
SFA87 is whining he didn't get enough exposure 23 yrs. ago???  LOL.  I like how you lump yourself in with those other guys who got D1 scholarships.  Where did you play college ball? 
[/quote]
Check and mate  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
[/quote]

LMAO  ;D ;D ;D ;D

'60's players soldiered on in an era when water during practice was deemed "bad" for you.  In '66 you might get a Dixie cup/pointed paper cup full of powdered GatorAde mix 1/2 way thru practice, and the games, no matter who you played, were always easier than  Monday/Tuesday practices.

Guest ECBucFan
True story: I was visiting my cousins house one day, and his son played HS football at the time. A friend of the son was there too. I struck up a conversation with the guys, and asked if the other guy played FB too. He said (and I am not making this up):

[i]"Yeah, but I quit."[/i] (I asked why), he said [i]"coach is really bogus and stuff"[/i]. (I asked how so?) He said "[i][u]Coach wants us to run and work out and stuff[/u][/i]..."

:o

For the record, this was not at EC.

I think I'm still kind of young, but in HS 88-92 Coach Hentschel at WB would make us do a Buckner run at the end of the day (1 1/2 miles)during two a days with all the pads on. We would then do 10-6-4's (10 100 yrd sprints, 6-60yrd, and 4-40 yrd, there and back was one)I lost alot of puke during HS football ;D Do they even do bull in the ring anymore. They use to not do it in weight class either, and at the Brook we had several 300lb linemen. I thought it was pretty tough in my day, but guys older then me had it even harder. I don't think kids now days are tougher, but for sure more exciting due to the change in offenses. With that being said, I would put our HS QB James Brown up against any of the newer QB's in the area, and our linemen would crush these kids nowdays. ANyways our days are past, and I get excited to watch these kids nowdays, and I have 3 boys I get to watch with the youngest being 3. I have alot of football to go ;D

I graduated from Port Acres HS in 61.  We weren't allow to have any water during practice.  In fact in Jr High we had two players caught drinking water during practure and they were thrown off the team.  We used to fall into the low places on the practice field and drink what we could get out of the puddles.  We were not suppose to drink Cokes, etc and the only Cokes we got during the football season was during the halftimes.  Also we had a curfew.  With Bob Frederick as our coach, we usually were in much better shape than our opponents (particularly Bishop Byrne HS which was the only team that would "go across the river" before their game - LOL).

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="Scalp'em" post="814662" timestamp="1277501880"]
and our linemen would crush these kids nowdays. [/quote]

You are right! I loved "smash mouth" football!  ;D  Way to much finesse now days, even with the linemen. 

[quote name="sfa87" post="814257" timestamp="1277313211"]
Man i wish they would had all this coverage when i played all these camps the exposure of the internet, its a crying shame cause you had stud ball players like john evans kenny ford, myself, kevins henry and otis sowell from pa austin, then u had ernest gipson and derek giron from the bees and then you had kk vincent ray jenkins john clayton from tj then you had that stud linebacker from wos jeff knox and brian cleveland then the explosive malcolm frank, that was sum good football back in the day wish we had more coverage like these kids have
[/quote]
Let it go! We all  remember being a little faster, stronger and bigger back then.  :D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83