Newton has new role at WO-S HS

Newton has new role at WO-S HS

Tommy Mann, Jr. Orange Leader

ORANGE — West Orange-Cove CISD recently made a move which should provide it student athletes with more opportunities to continue their education after high school.

Putting to rest several Internet rumors and gossip, Dr. O. Taylor Collins, West Orange-Cove Consolidated Independent School District superintendent, announced Don Newton, the West Orange-Stark High School basketball coach, will also now serve as the Athletic Academic Coordinator for the school.

“This was a decision I made as superintendent,” Collins said. “Coach Newton has been given new duties and will help Coach Hooks (West Orange-Cove CISD Athletic Director and football coach). Coach Newton has decided to remain at West Orange-Stark as head basketball coach as well.”

Collins said, as superintendent, he is responsible for assigning educators to positions, as well as re-assigning and giving additional duties to employees, which is what he did in this situation.

According to information provided by the district, Newton’s new duties as Athletic Academic Coordinator and Advisor is “to organize, implement, facilitate, oversee and evaluate all facets of the Athletic Academic Program” and to work closely with the guidance department regarding academic issues with student-athletes.

“I want him to not only help Coach Hooks, as Coach Hooks sees fit, but to help athletes with academics, college preparation, financial aid applications, making sure they apply for college, monitor their grades and see that they all get into college, not just the students who get scholarships,” Collins explained.

Newton’s will also be expected to register student-athletes with NCAA clearinghouse, as well as with selective services to ensure the eligibility for financial aid for college.

He will also monitor student-athlete achievement record to ensure student is on track to graduate on either the recommended or distinguished plan, and monitor each student-athlete’s class rank.

Newton will communicate information to other West Orange-Stark High School coaches on available scholarship opportunities and grant monies, and he will also assist student-athletes in searching for colleges to find the best fit for the student-athlete while making sure parents or guardians are involved in the process.

Newton, who previously spent eight years as athletic director in Union County, N.C., believes he up to the task.

“I’m really excited about this opportunity,” Newton said. “This will help make sure all of our student-athletes have the chance to obtain a college education.”

Hooks agreed.

“Typically, we have a few kids every year who get an opportunity at scholarships,” Hooks said. “But not every athlete can get a scholarship. This gives the rest of them the chance to go to college. We can’t make them go, but at least they have the chance.”

Collins said both coaches seek to win games and championships, but also focus on the character of the student-athlete in their respective programs.

“We have a great talent pool here in West Orange-Cove,” Collins continued. “Not only in football and basketball, but also in baseball and track, as well as choir and drama and other programs. And while we’re focused on winning championships, we are going to be making sure our students get the best education possible.”

I really like what Coach Newton has done with the basketball program. However, after reading the article sounds like he is will be doing the job of a counselor. I'm not sure what the job description is of a counselor but it sounds to me like if you play sports you will now have your own counselor. That being said you still have to find your own way home at night after practice and games are played.  ;D

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="785063" timestamp="1270137200"]
I applaud W0S in going the extra step in helping kids but I feel that Coach Hooks and Coach T don't have to a back seat to anyone in regards to helping kids get an opportunity at the next level.   
[/quote]

Again, I will start by saying I like what Coach Newton has done with the basketball program and I always applaud anyone that can get what the market brings them. That being said do you honestly think this was done to help kids or to keep a basketball coach? It would have helped the kids also if we would have been able to get them home safely at night!

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="785063" timestamp="1270137200"]
I applaud W0S in going the extra step in helping kids but I feel that Coach Hooks and Coach T don't have to a back seat to anyone in regards to helping kids get an opportunity at the next level.   
[/quote] AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name="td" post="785080" timestamp="1270138131"]
[quote author=adminbaberuth link=topic=68030.msg785063#msg785063 date=1270137200]
[/quote]

Again, I will start by saying I like what Coach Newton has done with the basketball program and I always applaud anyone that can get what the market brings them. That being said do you honestly think this was done to help kids or to keep a basketball coach? It would have helped the kids also if we would have been able to get them home safely at night!
[/quote]Why arent they getting home safely?

[quote name="77" post="785154" timestamp="1270148264"]
[quote author=td link=topic=68030.msg785080#msg785080 date=1270138131]
[quote author=adminbaberuth link=topic=68030.msg785063#msg785063 date=1270137200]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Did I miss something?  Have kids not been getting home safely?

I agree with td...this sounds like a glorified athletic counselor to me.  The one thing that stands out in the article to me is that this position was created solely to help keep the basketball coach from leaving wos - - - (article quote below)

[i] This was a decision I made as superintendent,” Collins said. “Coach Newton has been given new duties and will help Coach Hooks (West Orange-Cove CISD Athletic Director and football coach). [b]Coach Newton has decided to remain at West Orange-Stark as head basketball coach as well.”[/b][/i]

now I  mite be redin this wrong but how da betsy is a man gonna help dem football boys out if he be a hoops coach? Jus my opinun but dat ol boy at orange dont need no help with his players. Dat suprdntnt must be kin to obama. You get politics into Football you dun gone wrong boys, bad wrong. jus my opinun

[quote name="Slam14" post="785794" timestamp="1270263297"]

I agree with td...this sounds like a glorified athletic counselor to me.  The one thing that stands out in the article to me is that this position was created solely to help keep the basketball coach from leaving wos - - - (article quote below)

[i] This was a decision I made as superintendent,” Collins said. “Coach Newton has been given new duties and will help Coach Hooks (West Orange-Cove CISD Athletic Director and football coach). [b]Coach Newton has decided to remain at West Orange-Stark as head basketball coach as well.”[/b][/i]
[/quote] Yes! Sad though Coach Thompson was passed up.

[quote name="Snooks" post="785797" timestamp="1270264114"]
now I  mite be redin this wrong but how da betsy is a man gonna help dem football boys out if he be a hoops coach? Jus my opinun but dat ol boy at orange dont need no help with his players. Dat suprdntnt must be kin to obama. You get politics into Football you dun gone wrong boys, bad wrong. jus my opinun
[/quote]

AggiesAreWe...check to see if skipper changed his screen name to "Snooks".

[quote name="Slam14" post="785789" timestamp="1270262805"]
[quote author=77 link=topic=68030.msg785154#msg785154 date=1270148264]
[quote author=td link=topic=68030.msg785080#msg785080 date=1270138131]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Did I miss something?  Have kids not been getting home safely?
[/quote]

Not sure. I was just just talking in reference to not busing them home.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476