Newton 2010 Offical Football Schedule

Guest Jmeek

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="speedkills" post="760238" timestamp="1266289289"]
You win any state championships when you played?
[/quote]

Nope.  Unfortunately we ran into some pretty good teams in the playoffs.  We were 46-6-1 between 86-89. Lost two regular season games, both to 4a teams (10-9 to Carthage in 1987 and 17-7 to Mt. Pleasant in 1989) We were 9-4 in the playoffs.  Lost to State Champs Jefferson in 86; Lost to Linden in 87 (who later lost to Southlake Carroll); lost to State Champs SLC in 88; beat SLC in 89 but lost the next week in the quarterfinals to Gladewater. 

Oh well.  88% winning percentage is not bad.  ;)

Newton has alot of talent and it is overlooked alot of the time by fbs school's, alot of the southeast texas area gets overlooked alot. For example Toddrick pendland RB for Newton in 2005, he went to Mcneese because lots of FBS schools where overlooking him . He is now a two time All american in the FCS and he is projected to go in the second round of this coming up NFL draft. Another player that was overlooked was Bryran Smith DE for Newton 2003 he went to Mcneese for the same sort of reasons, he was also a two time all american and he holds the sack record for most sacks in a game and in a Season. He was later drafted in the fourth round of the NFL draft by Philly and was later traded to the Cleveland browns. These are just a few that never made a recruiting list and were never showed any attention by FBS schools.  Don't get me wrong SETX is finally getting a little respect from the FBS with players like Earl Thomas(Texas) Christine Michael (Texas A&M) Deon Beasly(Texas) Jamal Charles(Texas)(Kansas City) Shawn Witherspoon(Mizo) just to name a few. They have opened the door for other SETX kids to Finally get noticed.

[quote name="Jcmeek83" post="760624" timestamp="1266354851"]
Newton has alot of talent and it is overlooked alot of the time by fbs school's, alot of the southeast texas area gets overlooked alot. For example Toddrick pendland RB for Newton in 2005, he went to Mcneese because lots of FBS schools where overlooking him . He is now a two time All american in the FCS and he is projected to go in the second round of this coming up NFL draft. Another player that was overlooked was Bryran Smith DE for Newton 2003 he went to Mcneese for the same sort of reasons, he was also a two time all american and he holds the sack record for most sacks in a game and in a Season. He was later drafted in the fourth round of the NFL draft by Philly and was later traded to the Cleveland browns. These are just a few that never made a recruiting list and were never showed any attention by FBS schools.  Don't get me wrong SETX is finally getting a little respect from the FBS with players like Earl Thomas(Texas) Christine Michael (Texas A&M) Deon Beasly(Texas) Jamal Charles(Texas)(Kansas City) Shawn Witherspoon(Mizo) just to name a few. They have opened the door for other SETX kids to Finally get noticed.
[/quote]

Good to hear it.  It's not always a bad thing to go to a smaller school. 

[quote name="franksnbeans" post="760424" timestamp="1266334545"]
[quote author=speedkills link=topic=65691.msg760238#msg760238 date=1266289289]
[/quote]

Nope.  Unfortunately we ran into some pretty good teams in the playoffs.  We were 46-6-1 between 86-89. Lost two regular season games, both to 4a teams (10-9 to Carthage in 1987 and 17-7 to Mt. Pleasant in 1989) We were 9-4 in the playoffs.  Lost to State Champs Jefferson in 86; Lost to Linden in 87 (who later lost to Southlake Carroll); lost to State Champs SLC in 88; beat SLC in 89 but lost the next week in the quarterfinals to Gladewater. 

Oh well.  88% winning percentage is not bad.   ;)
[/quote]
not at all but Daingerfield sounds to be back and just as good if not better than last year any possiblities of another state championship?

[quote name="Jcmeek83" post="760624" timestamp="1266354851"]
[/quote]
Actually, Bryan was drafted in the third round by Philly in the 2008 draft. He was cut at the end of training camp this past season and signed with St. Louis on the practice squad for a short time before signing with Jacksonville. He wound up on injured reserve with a shoulder injury at the end of the season. He had just been named a starter at outside linebacker before the injury.

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="761359" timestamp="1266441200"]
[quote author=Jcmeek83 link=topic=65691.msg760624#msg760624 date=1266354851]
[/quote]
Actually, Bryan was drafted in the third round by Philly in the 2008 draft. He was cut at the end of training camp this past season and signed with St. Louis on the practice squad for a short time before signing with Jacksonville. He wound up on injured reserve with a shoulder injury at the end of the season. He had just been named a starter at outside linebacker before the injury.
[/quote] Thx for clearing that up, I loss my source around last year sometime i hope he gets back out there soon.

[quote name="speedkills" post="761233" timestamp="1266430505"]
[quote author=franksnbeans link=topic=65691.msg760424#msg760424 date=1266334545]
[quote author=speedkills link=topic=65691.msg760238#msg760238 date=1266289289]
[/quote]

Oh well.  88% winning percentage is not bad.   ;)
[/quote]
not at all but Daingerfield sounds to be back and just as good if not better than last year any possiblities of another state championship?
[/quote]

It's possible. They have some top flight guys coming back.  But, they lose a lot of seniors.  The guys taking their place are talented, but won't be nearly as experienced.  Some guys are going to have to come up big.  But, they will have some really strong senior leaders.  We will have to wait and see.  But, I believe Daingerfield will at least win their region. 

[quote name="Jcmeek83" post="762794" timestamp="1266611535"]
I really don't see Dangerfield beating Newton this year. sorry but I don't.
[/quote]

I know JC, but you didn't think Daingerfield would beat Newton last year, or the year before.  How did that work out for you?  :D

If they do play, it will be in the state finals. So, it will be an all out brawl. 

[quote name="franksnbeans" post="763038" timestamp="1266640032"]
[quote author=Jcmeek83 link=topic=65691.msg762794#msg762794 date=1266611535]
I really don't see Dangerfield beating Newton this year. sorry but I don't.
[/quote]

I know JC, but you didn't think Daingerfield would beat Newton last year, or the year before.  How did that work out for you?   :D

If they do play, it will be in the state finals. So, it will be an all out brawl. 
[/quote]
To set the record straight i didnt think Newton would beat d-field last year, I Really hope they meet in the finals in 2010.

[quote name="tvman91" post="766426" timestamp="1267133232"]
They should go deep into the playoffs again and this time can beat Dangerfield. The RBs are great and ready!
[/quote]

What makes you think Newton can beat Daingerfield this year?

You take the top ten players on the field when these two teams play and probably eight of them are wearing blue.  So, why would you give the edge to Newton in this matchup?

[quote name="franksnbeans" post="768862" timestamp="1267482131"]
[quote author=tvman91 link=topic=65691.msg766426#msg766426 date=1267133232]
They should go deep into the playoffs again and this time can beat Dangerfield. The RBs are great and ready!
[/quote]

You take the top ten players on the field when these two teams play and probably eight of them are wearing blue.  So, why would you give the edge to Newton in this matchup?
[/quote]
Newton is a team that don't take any stuff from other teams for very long. I think this year they will realize how tired they are of losing to Dangerfield and bow up and take the tough win and be back on top of the 2A Setx world.

Guest Jmeek
[quote name="tvman91" post="769694" timestamp="1267564755"]
[quote author=franksnbeans link=topic=65691.msg768862#msg768862 date=1267482131]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Newton is a team that don't take any stuff from other teams for very long. I think this year they will realize how tired they are of losing to Dangerfield and bow up and take the tough win and be back on top of the 2A Setx world.
[/quote] I agree

[quote name="tvman91" post="769694" timestamp="1267564755"]
[quote author=franksnbeans link=topic=65691.msg768862#msg768862 date=1267482131]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Why?  Because they're tired of losing?  :-\  Come on, that makes no sense.  They still won't have as much talent as Daingerfield.  Maybe in a couple years, but not this year.  So, other than just being tired of losing to Daingerfield, what rational reason would you have for believing Newton would win a potential matchup with Daingerfield?

[quote name="Jcmeek83" post="773377" timestamp="1268079488"]
[quote author=tvman91 link=topic=65691.msg769694#msg769694 date=1267564755]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote] I agree

[/quote]

I disagree.  ;D

• 2 weeks later...
Does the school and town name Marlin ring any bells? Newton fans should know the name well. Before you go talking trash about what Newton does you should know the history. Daingerfield has a program that is hitting on all cylinders currently and I don't think you can boast Newton doing anything to derail that program. I'm a loyal Newton fan and hope I'm wrong about that. Newton has a storied program that I'm real proud of, but so does Daingerfield. In my opinion you should respect your competition for what they are. Notice I said "respect" not fear. Daingerfield can be beaten, but it will have to be done on the field and not in some talk shop.

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="779536" timestamp="1269091515"]
Does the school and town name Marlin ring any bells? Newton fans should know the name well. Before you go talking trash about what Newton does you should know the history. Daingerfield has a program that is hitting on all cylinders currently and I don't think you can boast Newton doing anything to derail that program. I'm a loyal Newton fan and hope I'm wrong about that. Newton has a storied program that I'm real proud of, but so does Daingerfield. In my opinion you should respect your competition for what they are. Notice I said "respect" not fear. Daingerfield can be beaten, but it will have to be done on the field and not in some talk shop.
[/quote]
Well said ChampionEagles

[quote name="old_wildcat" post="779547" timestamp="1269093604"]
[quote author=ChampionEagles link=topic=65691.msg779536#msg779536 date=1269091515]
[/quote]

I agree with what you say it has to be done on the field,But the purpose of these "talk shops" are to compare teams ...I think Newton has an excellent chance to beat Daingerfield this year...First you have to get there...(long time till then) Lot's of things can happen injuries,grades, losing when you shouldn't..just to name a few...Daingerfield lost a lot of players,They will not be the team they were last year,this is a known fact...I think it's time for Newton to bring the 2A state championship back to [b]Southeast Texas[/b] (and I think they will)..East Texas has had it long enough...JMO
[/quote]
"Known" by who? Did anyone in this area see their Jr. Varsity play? How many of their underclassmen that were on varsity and didn't start are going to get their chance this year. Their winning of two championships in a row says a lot about their program as well as talent. I don't think you can dismiss their chances and team as easily as that. Until someone knocks them off, they are the champions. And "compare teams" by whom? Most posters on these boards(including myself) have nothing to back up their claims of expertise but a lot of coffee stains on their teeth. I have years and years worth of playing,watching, and loving the game of football, but really have no qualifications such as Head Coach of a state title football program and I can surmise neither do most posters. Making the kind of statements that do not take in any knowledge what so ever of the other areas of the state are truly just wishful dreams.

Guest ~old_wildcat~
[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="779553" timestamp="1269094902"]
[quote author=old_wildcat link=topic=65691.msg779547#msg779547 date=1269093604]
[quote author=ChampionEagles link=topic=65691.msg779536#msg779536 date=1269091515]
[/quote]

I agree with what you say it has to be done on the field,But the purpose of these "talk shops" are to compare teams ...I think Newton has an excellent chance to beat Daingerfield this year...First you have to get there...(long time till then) Lot's of things can happen injuries,grades, losing when you shouldn't..just to name a few...Daingerfield lost a lot of players,They will not be the team they were last year,this is a known fact...I think it's time for Newton to bring the 2A state championship back to [b]Southeast Texas[/b] (and I think they will)..East Texas has had it long enough...JMO
[/quote]
"Known" by who? Did anyone in this area see their Jr. Varsity play? How many of their underclassmen that were on varsity and didn't start are going to get their chance this year. Their winning of two championships in a row says a lot about their program as well as talent. I don't think you can dismiss their chances and team as easily as that. Until someone knocks them off, they are the champions. And "compare teams" by whom? Most posters on these boards(including myself) have nothing to back up their claims of expertise but a lot of coffee stains on their teeth. I have years and years worth of playing,watching, and loving the game of football, but really have no qualifications such as Head Coach of a state title football program and I can surmise neither do most posters. Making the kind of statements that do not take in any knowledge what so ever of the other areas of the state are truly just wishful dreams.
[/quote]

I have kin folk in Daingerfield....That has been supporters of Daingerfield for years... So I'll take the coffee stains off my teeth.. ;)

That clears that up. It puts your kinfolk in the same boat as you and I with Kirbyville and Newton. We're not in the coaching ranks for either team and I bet neither are your kinfolk with Daingerfield. Being in 2A there is no spring practice to evaluate talent and it has to be left to practice at the end of summer. Can't even call 'em two-a-days in Newton anymore. Haven't had those in years. That's lots of time for kids to mature as well as grow physically. There are systems at all three schools that take athletes and make better athletes and no way am I going to agree that a two time defending state champion system is going to decline as a "known fact". They obviously lost seniors both years preceding their titles and their coaches were able to replace what they lost. Can they do it again? All I know is they are the Champions until playoff time this fall.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    newyourk01
    Newest Member
    newyourk01