*KIRBYVILLE BACK TO 3A!!!!!!!!!*

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Realistically, 2-3 would be good on that schedule. 3-2 is the best I see. It will still be a good prep for district and the playoffs. Rather have a couple of losses to 4A teams and WOS and be battle tested for what counts than play an easy schedule and not be prepared.

Guest ~old_wildcat~
[quote name="catfan 88" post="754969" timestamp="1265284977"]
[quote author=rykerx144 link=topic=65444.msg754801#msg754801 date=1265240254]
week 0  Coldsprings
week 1  Newton
week 2  Vidor
week 3  Bridge city
Week 4  open
Week 5  WOS

then district!!  

What kind of record you expect going into district??
[/quote]

5-0
[/quote]

:D

Guest rykerx144
Kirbyville schedule set pending some major changes or Uil changes!

Week 0  Coldsprings
Week 1  Newton
Week 2  Vidor
Week 3  Bridge City
Week 4  Willis Point
Week 5  WOS
Week 6  Huntington
Week 7  Open
Week 8  Jasper
Week 9  Diboll
Week 10 Center

Thats a pretty tough predistrict schedule.  Should be 4-1 or 5-0 after that.  Remember, Kirbyville played several of these teams last year, and only 2 loses, one against Jasper and the other a 1 point loss in overtime to WOS.  KV returns most of that team, and looks to be stronger that last year.  GOOD LUCK CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest ~old_wildcat~
[quote name="rykerx144" post="755137" timestamp="1265309457"]

Week 0  Coldsprings
Week 1  Newton
Week 2  Vidor
Week 3  Bridge City
Week 4  Willis Point
Week 5  WOS
Week 6  Huntington
Week 7  Open
Week 8  Jasper
Week 9  Diboll
Week 10 Center
[/quote]

Ryker are you sure that's not "Wills Point" instead of Willis Point..Wills Point is about 30 miles east of Mesquite...  Been there a time or two....Just wondering...

[quote name="old_wildcat" post="755158" timestamp="1265311025"]
[quote author=rykerx144 link=topic=65444.msg755137#msg755137 date=1265309457]

Week 0  Coldsprings
Week 1  Newton
Week 2  Vidor
Week 3  Bridge City
Week 4  Willis Point
Week 5  WOS
Week 6  Huntington
Week 7  Open
Week 8  Jasper
Week 9  Diboll
Week 10 Center
[/quote]

Ryker are you sure that's not "Wills Point" instead of Willis Point..Wills Point is about 30 miles east of Mesquite...  Been there a time or two....Just wondering...
[/quote]

Wills Point is it and it will be on a Sat at a site TBD.

Guest rykerx144

scrimmage home Silsbee
scrimmage away  Ozen
Week 0  Coldsprings
Week 1  Newton
Week 2  Vidor
Week 3  Bridge City
Week 4  Wills Point
Week 5  WOS
Week 6  Huntington
Week 7  Open
Week 8  Jasper
Week 9  Diboll
Week 10 Center

[quote name="CatFan81" post="755157" timestamp="1265310820"]
Thats a pretty tough predistrict schedule.  Should be 4-1 or 5-0 after that.  Remember, Kirbyville played several of these teams last year, and only 2 loses, one against Jasper and the other a 1 point loss in overtime to WOS.  KV returns most of that team, and looks to be stronger that last year.  GOOD LUCK CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]
haha kirbyville will prob be 3-2 by the time pre-district is over. cause they have to beat 4A VIDOR AND WOS. dont kno if i see that happening even though yall almost beat WOS last year it is a completly different year

Guest ~old_wildcat~
[quote name="w/e2010" post="755404" timestamp="1265346206"]
[quote author=CatFan81 link=topic=65444.msg755157#msg755157 date=1265310820]
Thats a pretty tough predistrict schedule.  Should be 4-1 or 5-0 after that.  Remember, Kirbyville played several of these teams last year, and only 2 loses, one against Jasper and the other a 1 point loss in overtime to WOS.  KV returns most of that team, and looks to be stronger that last year.  GOOD LUCK CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]
haha kirbyville will prob be 3-2 by the time pre-district is over. cause they have to beat 4A VIDOR AND WOS. dont kno if i see that happening even though yall almost beat WOS last year it is a completly different year
[/quote]

Yes it is a completly different year ..For Everyone...Kirbyville is not saying they will beat anyone...It's all the Kirbyville well wishers making the assumptions.... Oh well talk either way is advertisement..... ;)

Just curious how accurate the Kirbyville schedule is. No offense to Kirbyville. I have followed them most of my life and I have enjoyed watching their success over the past few years, especially the last two, but this schedule makes no sense to me. I know Alvarez likes to schedule tough and I fully understand the tough non-district schedule to prepare for district, etc. but this is insane. I do not consider Vidor to be a powerhouse at all although I do hope Vidor can capitalize on this years success and continue to move up. I think Matthews is a classy coach and I know the Vidor fans can hold their own with anyone (including PN-G and Nederland). But, for Alvarez to schedule Vidor borders on ridiculous. Yes, Kirbyville is now a 3A school again but only by a couple of students. Vidor is a school of roughly 1,000 students. This doesn't bode well for Kirbyville at all. For those Kirbyville fans who think this is a good thing, may I remind you of Hamshire-Fannett and Chester this past season. HF suffered through untold injuries until it almost couldn't field a team while Chester had to forfeit the season due to injuries. To put Kirbyville, even with the talent they have, against a school with the size and numbers of Vidor, in my opinion, puts these kids at risk of getting injured. Kirbyville will play many players both ways in this game against a Vidor team that will suit up three times as many players. I don't care how good Kirbyville is, Vidor will overpower them simply because they will be able to put fresh legs on the field. My brother (Wildcat58), when discussing this, brought up a quote from Top Gun that fits this well. The quote was directed at a cocky Maverick (Tom Cruise)...It was "You're ego is writing checks your body can't cash." I'll change that up a bit. If this schedule is true, Jack Alvarez is allowing his ego to "Write checks that his players can't cash." No disrespect to the man but I find it hard to believe that their were no other teams (of similar size) that Kirbvyille could have scheduled. Better yet, there is no UIL rule that a school even play 10 games. If you can't find a game then don't play that week. If this schedule remains as is, I see Kirbyville pulling out 1 or 2 but possibly going 0-5, not because they aren't a talented team but because they will be too banged up to compete. Then, when they enter district play, all of that "tough non-district" schedule crap will all be for nothing as they struggle to compete in a district with teams who are still able to suit up enough players to play the game.
Again, I like both Kirbyville and Vidor and I have ties to both. I wish them both well but I can't agree with the two of them playing. And, for those who will say "well WO-S plays the big schools and they're 3A". WO-S is not a school of 432 students that is only 2 students away from being a 2AA school. There is a big difference.

How 'bout you ryker and Lefty? Do ya'll really agree with this???

Vidor lost most of it's players to graduation.  Only a very few starters returning, (QB is one though).  Will be depending on a lot of players with no varsity experience.  On the other hand K'ville has quite a few lettermen returning from a trip to the state championship game.  I agree that numbers will always favor the higher classification schools in their games against lower classification schools, but you can only put 11 on the field at a time.  K'ville's experience may very well negate the numbers disadvantage.

I agree with your premise but I'm actually not referring to advantage/disadvantage in a winning/losing context. And, you are right about only 11 players being on the field at a time but, my point is, that even with 11 players on the field, Vidor will still have 50 or 60 (if not more) players on the sideline (fresh players) while Kirbvyille will have barely enough to fill the bench. Kirbvyille will play both ways while Vidor will consistently rotate fresh players from the bench. There may only be 11 at a time on the field but for KV alot of those 11 will be the same 11 who started the game while Vidor will rotate at will. Experience and talent can only go so far. I don't care if Vidor plays nothing but freshman/sophomores in the second half, they will still be able to dominate Kville due to the simple fact that they can keep fresh legs on the field. I just don't want to see a group of kids put into a situation that could potentially not only cause them physical harm but also ruin the mental motivation that has made KV the successful program that it now is. It just seems too risky to me.

Guest rykerx144
Well if you have kept up with Kirbyville football then you already know that what your describing is Kirbyville football.  With the exception of the past few years being in 2A Kirbyville has been the small school underdog in 3A.  They have accepted this roll and lived up to it.  When I say they are successful I am not referring to necessarily dominating 3A teams and getting to state championships or winning state championships.  Obviously the ultimate goal is winning state or advancing deep into the playoffs and this is what drives most programs and what they base their success on.  I dont get this feeling in Kirbyville.  Dont get me wrong, your season ending in the first round or losing in the state championship is dissappointing and no matter how far you get when its over your disappointed.  I dont think that is what drives this program.  I think that suiting up 20 or 30 kids with kids playing 4 quarters on both sides of the ball against the likes of WOS Silsbee Jasper Vidor Carthage and Newton and not necessarily winning but competing is what drives them.  Everyone knows that Alvarez is a all or nothing coach.  Everyone in this program, district and community knows that he is going to go for it on 4th, go for the win with 2 instead of the pat, and schedule the toughest non district schedule he thinks his guys can handlle.  I have not heard one complaint from the community or the admins.  This is what they are looking for in a coach and will back him 100%.  I couldnt disagree with you more when you say that he is writing checks that his team can not cash.  I say he is writing checks in the amount of what he thinks he has in the bank!!  Like you said there is usually less than 400 kids enrolled in HS on average at Kirbyville and if they want to compete in 3A then they better use all they have in the bank.  If it was to happen and they lose every starter they have then it will be expected for Alvarez to suit up 11 freshman and let them play their hearts outs and no one will expect anything less or blame Alvarez.      

[quote name="wowzer99" post="755809" timestamp="1265423280"]
Kirbyville doesn't play too many players both ways.  a few recievers/db's play both ways, but that's about it.
[/quote]

I covered Kirbyville throughout the season and I seem to recall them playing several players both ways this past season. Still not entirely the point though. Even if they don't play both ways, they will still be overmatched in size and numbers. Feel free to disagree. I don't mind someone disagreeing (ha) but I still see fatigue being the enemy for KV in this one. There is no way in heck that Ford (as good as he is) is going to get outside on Vidor (in the second half) with an offensive-line that is tired and beat down against an endless list of substitutions on defense for Vidor. I just see this being a physical and mental defeat for KV which again begs the question....why do it? why take the risk? Still love the Wildcats though and I wish them well.

I get what your saying about the numbers, substitutions etc.  However, Vidor will not have 50 or 60 players suited up, more like 36 to 44 if years past are a good barometer.  Also while some players will go in and out, there will not be wholesale substitutions, most of the starters will play the whole game.
Pirates do not have the sidelines full of players like say the mid-county schools.
If last year's line was back and the stable of running backs, then yes, I would say they could wear down a team with lesser numbers in the second half.  But those guys are gone.

[quote name="rykerx144" post="755817" timestamp="1265423618"]
Well if you have kept up with Kirbyville football then you already know that what your describing is Kirbyville football.  With the exception of the past few years being in 2A Kirbyville has been the small school underdog in 3A.  They have accepted this roll and lived up to it.  When I say they are successful I am not referring to necessarily dominating 3A teams and getting to state championships or winning state championships.  Obviously the ultimate goal is winning state or advancing deep into the playoffs and this is what drives most programs and what they base their success on.  I dont get this feeling in Kirbyville.  Dont get me wrong, your season ending in the first round or losing in the state championship is dissappointing and no matter how far you get when its over your disappointed.  I dont think that is what drives this program.  I think that suiting up 20 or 30 kids with kids playing 4 quarters on both sides of the ball against the likes of WOS Silsbee Jasper Vidor Carthage and Newton and not necessarily winning but competing is what drives them.  Everyone knows that Alvarez is a all or nothing coach.  Everyone in this program, district and community knows that he is going to go for it on 4th, go for the win with 2 instead of the pat, and schedule the toughest non district schedule he thinks his guys can handlle.  I have not heard one complaint from the community or the admins.  This is what they are looking for in a coach and will back him 100%.  I couldnt disagree with you more when you say that he is writing checks that his team can not cash.  I say he is writing checks in the amount of what he thinks he has in the bank!!  Like you said there is usually less than 400 kids enrolled in HS on average at Kirbyville and if they want to compete in 3A then they better use all they have in the bank.  If it was to happen and they lose every starter they have then it will be expected for Alvarez to suit up 11 freshman and let them play their hearts outs and no one will expect anything less or blame Alvarez.      
[/quote]

I agree with a lot of what you wrote rykerz...I also agree that Alvarez is a gambler and so forth. However, I do have to comment on the "writing checks based on what he THINKS he has in the bank" part. That's the problem right there. You hit it on the head. People get into trouble when they write checks based on what they THINK they have in the bank. I hope Alvarez has overdraft protection (ha). We'll see next season. My prediction is KV comes out and makes a few plays in the first quarter. Ford may break a long one or two and they will hang early. Vidor will move the ball against KV and wear them down quickly. The Pirates will begin to pull away in the second. In the third, Vidor will continue to pull away and the injuries will begin to pile up for KV. Ford will run the ball more times than he should have to because the KV offensive line will not be able to hold its own against the Pirate D and the passing game will be non-existent. Ford will be repeatedly stopped for a loss but, HOPEFULLY, will not suffer an injury. The Pirates will only punt because Matthews is classy enough to not run up the score on KV. Still, Vidor will win this one going away by at least 3 touchdowns...say 38-14 and everyone will say it could have been worse if Matthews hadn't called off the dogs. KV will then get on a bus the next week and drag its bruised self to yet another "tough" venue and suffer even more....Again...this is all opinion but I think after 30 years of following high school football and about 15 years of covering it from the press box it's an opinion that's based on at least some degree of experience. I wish them well. And, lastly, let me add that Alvarez may be a good coach. He's done a lot for KV but he has been known to make some "gambling calls" that made no sense at all. Rewatch the KV/PP game if you don't believe that. Going for 2 is something you do when you have to not because you want to. KV gave up a good many PAT's this year due to going for 2 when 1 would've served them better. Also, giving up field advantage by pooch kicking every time you line up for a kickoff makes no sense to me. That may have worked against San Augustine but it won't work against the pre-district opponents the Kats will play in 2010. Good luck to the KATS. I hope they prove me wrong.

TIM RIGGINS...Saw your post and I appreciate the "civil" discussion. I know what you're saying and I can understand your point. I still see it as a one-sided match-up though. Good luck to the Pirates!!!

[quote name="wowzer99" post="755889" timestamp="1265427742"]
this kirbyville team went to an overtime game with wo-s last year.  would u be saying the same thing about wo-s if they were playing vidor?
[/quote]

I addressed this in my first post since I knew this would come up. I see no prob with WO-S playing Vidor. However, if WO-S chose to play Katy I would seriously question Dan Hooks sanity. Vidor's enrollment is more than 3 times that of KV but not even double WO-S. This would be the equivalent of WO-S playing several Houston 5A schools but even that statement is not entirely true because WO-S is still able to suit up enough players to compete...they don't routinely run 25-30 players on their roster. Big difference. Again...just my opinion. We'll see how it all turns out. I wish them all well...

[quote author=rykerx144 link=topic=65444.msg755885#msg755885 date=1265427250]
Ill print this for ya and remind you of this post in a few months lol
[/quote]

Was thinking the same thing....haha...Hope to get the chance to meet you and shake hands next season. Tell you what...We'll meet up at the Vidor/KV game and hash it out there...HA

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83