Bean ready to tackle first marathon

Bean ready to tackle first marathon
Van Wade
The Orange Leader

HOUSTON — For Drew Bean, going that extra distance has always seemed to be part of his life.

The 2007 Little Cypress-Mauriceville graduate has enjoyed running long distances ever since about seventh grade and has really turned it into an “art” so to speak.

While at LC-M, he won state titles in both cross country and in the 3,200-meter run at the State Track & Field Championships. He was a nine-time district champ in cross country and track and was a six-time Region III Class 4A champion.

Now at Lamar University, Bean has continued being part of a winning program as he was a key cog in Lamar winning their ninth cross country title in team history and the Cardinals ended up finishing a solid third at the NCAA regionals.

On Sunday, Bean will be taking on a different “monster”, the 26.2-mile Chevron Houston Marathon.

“Ever since I started running in seventh grade I always had running a marathon in the back of my mind,” said Bean. “It’s something that I’ve always wanted to accomplish. I’ve really been pushing myself.”

Bean has been training with a hard-nosed attitude, pushing himself to reach the best form he’s ever been in.

“I’ve really had a pretty set schedule as far as my training goes,” said Bean. “I’ve gotten in around 100 to 110 miles a week. I’ll have some 12-mile days mixed in with some 16 and 18-mile ones.”

How dedicated is Bean?

When that cold snap blew through Southeast Texas last week Bean was out running. As a matter of fact he ran 14 miles one day in 35-degree weather, averaging less than six minutes a mile.

“After awhile, you get accustomed to running in all conditions,” said Bean. “During our cross country season, it’s usually really hot when we start and cools off near the end of the season. Track seasons, they usually start off cool and then get hot at the end. I’m really used to running in all kinds of elements.”

With some rain expected today and Saturday, the weather should be just fine in Houston Sunday with a mix of sun and clouds with temperatures in the low 50s.

“It sounds like conditions are going to be perfect,” said Bean. “Everyone has gotta love that. Nothing like running on a pleasant day, where the humidity is not so high. Everyone should be able to breathe well.”

Bean is definitely familiar with the Houston Marathon course.

Last year he drew big looks when he ran the Houston Half Marathon, finishing 30th overall in his first attempt.

“It’s really a nice course,” said Bean. “I got a great taste of it last year. I had no idea I would go and place 30th in my first try because their are so many runners there. Everyone was wondering who that 19 year-old kid was. That made me feel great and motivated me even more.”

Bean has had plenty of motivation along the way.

“My parents have been behind me all the way in everything I’ve ever done,” said Bean. “Guys like Joe Melanson and Ken Ruane, who have been in so many different marathons have always been their for advice along with the Sea Rim Striders Club.”

Of course, Kenyans have dominated the marathon circuit in recent years.

For Sunday’s race Kenyans Jason Mbote and Charles Kibiwott are the top two seeds going in.

“There is kind of a running joke that if you’re running with guys from Kenya near the end, you’re in a great shape and if you’re running next to a guy named Ken, it’s a different story,” chuckled Bean. “I’ll settle with running next to anyone as long as I know I’ve done my best.”

One thing for sure, Orange County folks have enjoyed watching Bean’s accomplishments over the years and know that he’s going to go all-out.

“I’ll probably run the first 20 miles with my head and the last 6.2 with my heart,” said Bean. “It’s something I’ve dreamed about for a long time and I plan on having a lot of fun and soaking everything in. This is my first marathon and it will not be my last.”

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476