Should SETX get Hockey

You guys REALLY need to step out of the backwoods and look around.

There are more minor-league hockey teams in Texas than anywhere else in the U.S.

And high schools in the Dallas area have hockey.

Not to mention that the Houston area has a LOT of youth hockey programs.

Yeeee-haawwww! :roll:

You guys REALLY need to step out of the backwoods and look around.

There are more minor-league hockey teams in Texas than anywhere else in the U.S.

And high schools in the Dallas area have hockey.

Not to mention that the Houston area has a LOT of youth hockey programs.

Yeeee-haawwww! :roll:

still rotflmao.......

Oh, brother...

redneck mentality at its best. :roll:

Take a hint and read what those on the KFDM board have to say:

http://talk.kfdm.com/viewtopic.php?t=3645

Just a few comments from that link that really says it all:

One poster replied:

The mentality of this area STILL never ceases to amaze me. Ice hockey has been deemed "boring" & "stupid" to most here but by God you'll sell out for WWE, which, IMO, is the most tasteless thing ever created. And Monster Trucks...Woooo Weeee! It's almost like the more white trash it is, the more accepted it is.

I agree with DGScott 100% on this topic. If given the choice between hockey or "gator wrasslinnnnnn" we all know which one would pull a bigger crowd.

If you've never been to a hockey game don't knock it. I wasn't into hockey at all until I went to my first game. I was addicted shortly thereafter. It's a full contact sport, it's exciting, and it beats watching grown men grab each other in the nether areas while wearing tights and body oil. Hockey is a REAL sport. A real EXCITING sport.

Signed,

Mom of 4 most likely to be found beating on the glass and egging on the fight on the ice..

Poster #2 said:

And as for Hockey being a Texas tradition in some areas of the state not so narrow minded it has become a tradition and has caught on like wildfire because the game is so fast paced and does feature the physical toughness and hitting of football, the speed and pace of basketball, the timing of hitting a baseball or swinging a golf club and all while balancing on two metal blades maybe 1/16" thick. the Dallas Stars sell out every game in the American Airlines Center and have since it opened even dating back to their playing in Reunion Arena good tickets to a Stars game will run you about $125 each and thats not even sitting close to the glass. Closer to home the Houston Aeros have a good following there a perennial playoff team in the AHL and former Calder Cup Champions draw decently for weekend home games and most feel they would sell out regularly if Houston were to be given an NHL franchise. Then lets look at a city who most in SETX would think is below us, how about Laredo home of the CHL's Laredo Bucks, thats right the good old border town of Laredo .... you wouldnt think hockey would be a tradition there would you.... the Bucks have won the CHL championship twice in 2003-04 and again last year in 2005-06 and average well over 6000 fans a night with a lot of nights over 8000 in attendance. Teams in Rio Grande Valley, Lubbock, Corpus Christi, Odessa and Amarillo all draw average crowds over 4000 a night so hockey being a tradition would seem to be what you make of it, and the only tradition here is narrow minded people who think the only sport that matters is high school football

Poster #3...

I'd rather see hockey than a stupid Nascar race. Woowee cars going around in a circle. Oh snap! They crashed. Look, wait, OMG they are filling the car up with gas! HURRY!

High school football is another thing that gets on my nerves. All these middle age people wearing their letter jackets supporting the team and talking about their high school football days like a bunch of Al Bundys. I grew out of supporting my team, Nederland, when I graduated and they were not my team anymore. I can proudly say I don't give a damn if they win or lose.

Now hockey, I've never seen. I do plan on going to the first game I can. It seems cheap, and it should be rather entertaining. I hope I become a fan. If not, no big deal not lots of money wasted and it's right here in Beaumont.

That's just three examples from one board. There are too many others to post for now. I have found that those who don't understand the rules try to hide their embarrassment by bashing hockey. It's NOT a "northern" sport.

Here ya go (link can be found on the above thread at KFDM)...

Hockey not just for frigid locales

The age-old argument that hockey can't catch on in the South doesn't hold up anymore. It was thought that since the climate in the southern United States didn't bring much ice in the winter, kids didn't grow up playing the sport, and never became fans of it.

But as it turns out ice wasn't what was needed to increase hockey's popularity in the South — inline skating was.

The advent of local inline hockey leagues throughout the South has given every kid an opportunity to not only play the sport in organized form, but also to go home and skate in the driveway, pretending to be Eric Staal or Rod Brind'Amour or whoever their hockey hero might be.

What's also helped grow the sport's popularity everywhere — not only in the South — is that hockey players are so easy to identify with, so accessible, and so respectful of the media's needs, and the fans' support.

I'd love to HS hockey all the way down to bantam/pee wee hockey... they have HS teams in the Metroplex and Houston

March 9, 2006 - 2005-2006 National High School Hockey Rankings released (over 1650 teams ranked).

RANK TEAM W L T GmPerf Sched Total Last 5

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1,Klein,TX,_________________ 17 0 0, 3.1, 7.1, 10.21, 10.72

2,McKinney,TX,________________________ 10 2 7, 1.0, 8.8, 9.81, 10.32

3,Coppell,TX,_________________________ 11 5 2, 1.1, 8.7, 9.80, 9.21

4,Allen,TX,___________________________ 17 6 0, 1.3, 8.5, 9.76, 7.65

5,Plano West "A",TX,__________________ 13 4 4, 1.0, 8.7, 9.70, 8.54

6,Plano,TX,___________________________ 10 5 3, 0.7, 8.8, 9.46, 8.54

7,Jesuit,TX,__________________________ 11 6 3, 0.4, 9.1, 9.45, 10.45

8,College Park,TX,____________________ 12 3 0, 2.2, 7.1, 9.31, 7.87

9,Cinco Ranch,TX,_____________________ 12 1 2, 2.4, 6.9, 9.29, 8.66

10,Mansfield,TX,_______________________ 9 8 1, 0.4, 8.8, 9.18, 8.24

11,Keller,TX,__________________________ 11 6 1, 0.5, 8.4, 8.85, 8.87

12,Flower Mound,TX,____________________ 8 10 0, 0.1, 8.7, 8.82, 10.00

13,Southlake,TX,_______________________ 8 6 4, 0.3, 8.5, 8.78, 8.79

14,Clear Lake,TX,______________________ 12 3 2, 1.8, 6.9, 8.74, 8.60

15,Marcus,TX,__________________________ 8 9 2, -0.2, 8.6, 8.47, 8.95

16,Clear Brook/Clear Creek,TX,_________ 11 4 1, 1.6, 6.6, 8.25, 8.62

17,Grapevine,TX,_______________________ 6 8 4, -0.2, 8.3, 8.15, 8.78

18,Highland Park,TX,___________________ 4 11 4, -0.9, 8.8, 7.85, 9.18

19,Garland,TX,_________________________ 3 13 3, -1.5, 8.7, 7.18, 6.75

20,Austin,TX,__________________________ 7 8 3, 0.2, 6.9, 7.04, 8.29

21,Arlington Martin,TX,________________ 3 14 1, -1.8, 8.8, 6.96, 7.55

22,Klein Oak,TX,_______________________ 5 7 0, -0.3, 7.0, 6.69, 7.14

23,Colleyville,TX,_____________________ 14 2 2, 1.9, 4.7, 6.66, 6.51

24,Memorial West,TX,___________________ 7 7 1, -0.6, 7.2, 6.63, 7.91

25,Kingwood/Humble,TX,_________________ 5 9 1, -0.7, 7.3, 6.54, 7.23

26,Clements,TX,________________________ 8 5 2, -0.1, 6.7, 6.53, 6.99

27,Cy-Fair,TX,_________________________ 6 7 1, -0.7, 7.0, 6.27, 5.35

28,Cy-Creek,TX,________________________ 5 10 1, -1.1, 7.2, 6.10, 7.27

29,Klein Oak "B",TX,___________________ 0 2 1, -2.0, 8.0, 6.03

30,Frisco,TX,__________________________ 11 5 2, 0.9, 4.8, 5.72, 5.43

31,Elkins/Hightower,TX,________________ 3 11 1, -1.5, 7.2, 5.63, 5.21

32,LD Bell-Euless,TX,__________________ 5 3 4, 0.7, 4.8, 5.42, 6.25

33,Woodlands,TX,_______________________ 3 13 1, -1.9, 7.2, 5.35, 4.52

34,Arlington Wild,TX,__________________ 10 6 2, 0.7, 4.6, 5.31, 4.55

35,Carrollton-FB,TX,___________________ 9 5 4, 0.5, 4.8, 5.28, 2.90

36,Richardson,TX,______________________ 0 17 1, -3.1, 8.4, 5.28, 4.85

37,LD Bell,TX,_________________________ 4 2 0, 0.8, 4.3, 5.13

38,Taylor,TX,__________________________ 3 13 0, -1.4, 6.4, 5.05, 3.84

39,Plano West "B",TX,__________________ 7 11 1, 0.0, 4.9, 4.88, 3.37

40,Plano East,TX,______________________ 9 9 1, -0.2, 5.0, 4.78, 5.53

41,Bishop Lynch,TX,____________________ 6 7 5, -0.2, 4.8, 4.62, 5.55

42,Rockwall,TX,________________________ 8 10 0, -0.4, 4.8, 4.40, 4.28

43,Birdville,TX,_______________________ 6 9 3, -0.3, 4.6, 4.30, 4.52

44,Pearland,TX,________________________ 1 13 1, -2.6, 6.8, 4.19, 4.52

45,Duncanville,TX,_____________________ 4 13 1, -1.3, 4.8, 3.53, 5.55

46,Colony-Lewisville,TX,_______________ 2 15 1, -2.6, 4.8, 2.25, 3.22

even colleges are getting into the act here... I know UT, atm, UNT and many other schools in the state have blossoming hockey programs. Ut opens their season Oct. 20 against atm. But people in this area live in a bubble, they dont want to try anything new or anything that doesnt involve HS football. It's time to pop the bubble and step outside.

I understand that for hockey to grow in this area we need additional rinks and space and it costs money. It cant be done just with FP there's no way to balance TWC hockey and HS/junior/bantam/peewee hockey in one arena. But I hate the misconception that hockey is not a "Texas thang" thats total crap, it's an anywhere but Beaumont thing. Other areas in the state smaller than Beaumont have teams and draw 4000-6000 a night. There are HS leagues and little leagues all over the rest of the state. They play in Houston, Dallas, SA, Corpus to name a few. Not everyone is a football player or basketball players or a baseball player. Some run track, cross country, golf, tennis, and I bet some would play hockey. The closed mindedness of this area baffles me.

HOCKEYFAN' date=' comments like that will draw big crowds? Been to a bunch of Wildcatter games but maybe this redneck should find somewhere else to spend my $$$$$$$$$$$. :oops:[/quote']

Excuse me? The ONLY reason hockeyfan said anything was due to all THESE comments:

Cute...did you think of that one by yourself?

Do your research before you type, bud.

Wow...love the grammar.

At what? Someone posting a valid poll and saying they would support a college sport that is becoming very popular at many universities in TEXAS, including UT and A&M?

Another post with all the words mashed together. Uh, NO, THIS is the NHL/ECHL part of the forum. Maybe YOU should move up north.

DG and Cookie just hit the nail on the head. :P

I wouldn't bash a sport that I have never seen in person, such as rugby....and I don't think it's right for people to bash hockey when they haven't a clue of what it's about.

The rules are easy to learn.

I've been a hockey fan for less than three years.

And YES, I am from this area and my family has been here for many generations.

Now, let's all just get along....or would that be too easy? :)

Some nice hockey clips:

This is the hidden content, please

Well, to clarify...

I have PLENTY of friends who are from the "backwoods" areas that attend hockey games. It is not a knock on any of them.

What I have a problem with is someone starting an innocent poll and instead of the other posters just voting, they had to add all the other comments without any valid documentation to back it.

To the original poster, sorry if you were offended. That wasn't my intention. If you have no problem with people making those comments, so be it. I, on the other hand, have facts to back my views on hockey.

Well, that just goes to show how "great" some of the folks in this area can be...gripe about not having anything to do in BOREmont, as they call it, then don't support a minor-pro team. :roll:

I hate to open a can of worms, but I'll do it anyway...

the difference between fans not supporting the Golden Gators (yes, I did support them) and the Wildcatters is that Vincent Beck was already there and was going to be used for Lamar whether or not the Golden Gators stayed. On the other hand, Ford Park (love it or hate it) had better keep hockey (or some other moola-producing event). They have no choice. :!:

When the ECHL leaves Beaumont (and it will in about two years), the CHL will be a candidate to use the rink. The CHL is actually a better fit for our area because we have lots of Texas teams already (bet ya didn't know that).

Laredo, Rio Grande Valley, Corpus, Austin, Odessa, Lubbock, Amarillo, and barely across the border you have Shreveport...all CHL teams. On the other hand, we are the only ECHL team in the area now that Lafayette and Biloxi aren't playing this season. Biloxi is supposed to have a team again next year.

Hockey will never make it in SE Texas ' date=' If a double A baseball team or collage football team can't ,what makes people think hockey can.[/quote']

neither of those have tried in the last 20 years, the Gators packed up and left for Wichita in 86, LU dropped football in 1989, so it has been 20 years since either has been tried. But I do see your point, and it is somewhat valid. I think Beaumont would support the team as winners, as for a function or just something to do on a weekend night maybe not but if they were winning then yes. No one is trying to say hockey is better than football, just to step outside the bubble that HS football and try something new. You think an open field bone crushing tackle is something watch someone do that to someone while on skates doing 30mph into the boards which don't give much.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124