Dayton - setting it straight

I finally decided after weeks to register so I could set the record straight on Dayton and why they win. I'm not a smack talker, nor do I get involved in a bunch of that kind of fodder, but I do know football and am very keen on Bronco sports, especially football. I'm the Editor of The Dayton News, and have been the Dayton pressbox announcer for 15 years (I think that's right).

None of you have hit it. Dayton has selective speed at selective positions on defense, but overall team speed is nothing like you hear or read about from many of the top Golden Triangle Schools. The lines on both offense and defense are small. They are made up of some great kids who are strong, but "speed," the kind that kills, is not an issue here.

The Dayton Broncos are made up of a group of great kids who love the game of football, but what makes them better than they should be is that they are so well COACHED.

Head Football Coach and Athletic Director Jerry Stewart is in his 11th season at Dayton, his longest tenure anywhere, by a long shot. He loves the community, he loves the school, he loves the administrators over him, but most importantly, his loves his kids - his athletes in all sports, but football holds a special place because that's his forte and because the sport itself is so dear to him.

That being said, Coach Stewart has a very loyal and competent coaching staff, made up of coaches, the core of which has been with him for many years. They know what to expect from their boss and more importantly they know what they are doing. Watch this staff during a game and you'll find out more about the Broncos than most people find out by watching just the action on the field.

Of course, there are always going to be the disgruntled parent, or sister, or aunt or uncle who's "kid" they didn't feel got as good a shot as he or she did in some sport, but though some might argue individually about Coach Stewart and staff, they certainly can't argue with the results over his last 10 years - 10 straight playoff appearances including six as district champions, and that includes some years being in a district with Ozen, Jasper, Silsbee, and others.

The Dayton Broncos will play you, and they will play you hard from the beginning of the game until the end. They will show up in shape and scrap with you. This is certainly not to say that they'll win each and every contest, but they will be in it until the end and if you relax before the game is over, they just might take it away from you.

'Nuff said. You have my personal opinion.

PS. It is somewhat amusing after reading the comments on this forum last week how the worm has turned. The Broncos, I'm sure, appreciate the kudos, but it doesn't mean a thing. They respect the history and tradition of each of the teams in District 22-4A, which is why they'll be ready each week to tee it up - and that in itself is another reason they could do well in this district. They're not in danger of letting anyone in this league sneak up on them - they will be prepared. End of story.

Guest Kelly Football

I finally decided after weeks to register so I could set the record straight on Dayton and why they win. I'm not a smack talker' date=' nor do I get involved in a bunch of that kind of fodder, but I do know football and am very keen on Bronco sports, especially football. I'm the Editor of The Dayton News, and have been the Dayton pressbox announcer for 15 years (I think that's right).

None of you have hit it. Dayton has selective speed at selective positions on defense, but overall team speed is nothing like you hear or read about from many of the top Golden Triangle Schools. The lines on both offense and defense are small. They are made up of some great kids who are strong, but "speed," the kind that kills, is not an issue here.

The Dayton Broncos are made up of a group of great kids who love the game of football, but what makes them better than they should be is that they are so well COACHED.

Head Football Coach and Athletic Director Jerry Stewart is in his 11th season at Dayton, his longest tenure anywhere, by a long shot. He loves the community, he loves the school, he loves the administrators over him, but most importantly, his loves his kids - his athletes in all sports, but football holds a special place because that's his forte and because the sport itself is so dear to him.

That being said, Coach Stewart has a very loyal and competent coaching staff, made up of coaches, the core of which has been with him for many years. They know what to expect from their boss and more importantly they know what they are doing. Watch this staff during a game and you'll find out more about the Broncos than most people find out by watching just the action on the field.

Of course, there are always going to be the disgruntled parent, or sister, or aunt or uncle who's "kid" they didn't feel got as good a shot as he or she did in some sport, but though some might argue individually about Coach Stewart and staff, they certainly can't argue with the results over his last 10 years - 10 straight playoff appearances including six as district champions, and that includes some years being in a district with Ozen, Jasper, Silsbee, and others.

The Dayton Broncos will play you, and they will play you hard from the beginning of the game until the end. They will show up in shape and scrap with you. This is certainly not to say that they'll win each and every contest, but they will be in it until the end and if you relax before the game is over, they just might take it away from you.

'Nuff said. You have my personal opinion.

PS. It is somewhat amusing after reading the comments on this forum last week how the worm has turned. The Broncos, I'm sure, appreciate the kudos, but it doesn't mean a thing. They respect the history and tradition of each of the teams in District 22-4A, which is why they'll be ready each week to tee it up - and that in itself is another reason they could do well in this district. They're not in danger of letting anyone in this league sneak up on them - they will be prepared. End of story.[/quote'] Nice article.

I would like to say something about this post/article....

First, let me start by saying that although as strange as it may sound, I am born and raised South East Texan strait out of Beaumont and I can not stand a single team in district 22-4A. My reasoning is quite nullified when comprehended to the extend I wish it to be. That reasoning being simply, I am a West Brook Bruin. I have watched all of my 19 years of life the coverage and publicity recieved by what seems like every other school/town in SETX but West Brook. I gladly except with arms wide oppen the arrival of team that will put the most arrogant football fans in the NATION, in their place. However with all that being said, I would like direct this to the abbove article. By stating in the begining of your, well lets just call it a proclaimation of Daytons arrival and prestige, that you are not a "smack talker" is quite the understatement. I believe such derrogatory quotes as "Nuff said" more than prove the point. But with all that said as well, I would like to quote "A JOB WELL DONE SIR". You have just included yourself in the biggest trash talking circle(Known as District 22-4A). As far as the part about the coaching staff, I must take the side of my fellow Golden Triangle-inians........... which would be.... SO DO WE....

But even with all that being said.... Kudos to you sir.....

And Go Bruins........................ hmmmmm.......... NUFF SAID?????

Jsmity"]I would like to say something about this post/article....

First, let me start by saying that although as strange as it may sound, I am born and raised South East Texan strait out of Beaumont and I can not stand a single team in district 22-4A. My reasoning is quite nullified when comprehended to the extend I wish it to be. That reasoning being simply, I am a West Brook Bruin. I have watched all of my 19 years of life the coverage and publicity recieved by what seems like every other school/town in SETX but West Brook. I gladly except with arms wide oppen the arrival of team that will put the most arrogant football fans in the NATION, in their place. However with all that being said, I would like direct this to the abbove article. By stating in the begining of your, well lets just call it a proclaimation of Daytons arrival and prestige, that you are not a "smack talker" is quite the understatement. I believe such derrogatory quotes as "Nuff said" more than prove the point. But with all that said as well, I would like to quote "A JOB WELL DONE SIR". You have just included yourself in the biggest trash talking circle(Known as District 22-4A). As far as the part about the coaching staff, I must take the side of my fellow Golden Triangle-inians........... which would be.... SO DO WE....

But even with all that being said.... Kudos to you sir.....

And Go Bruins........................ hmmmmm.......... NUFF SAID?????

Quick...someone start a few West Brook threads to keep jsmitty happy. :D

Relax, man. I'm twice your age and I can remember when West Brook was "THE team" in southeast Texas. Most of the people on this board who have been around at least as long as me can vouch for the attention that WB once received. They've had many disappointing seasons since the early 90's, and now they have a lot more to cheer about. The turnaround season they had last year was amazing. I expect more good things to come with Coach Stump there. If you're not hearing enough West Brook conversation, then start some threads, and recruit a few of your friends to join in the chats. There doesn't seem to be very many WB alums here to start with, so that's why you don't hear much.

Just for the record, there has always been a level of prestige with WB to many of us here.

Dayton is a very good team, but certainly not awe inspiring. The original post in this thread is arrogant in a sort of silly way, seeing as you have teams like WO-S and Newton occupying this forum - teams whose prowess outweigh that of Dayton. Yes, Dayton has done well making it into the playoffs for the last 10 years, but how many times were they knocked out by a team from this district? I think your reasoning for their winning ways is a part of the secrets to success. I think another part has been occupying a very weak district. This year, they are very strong. I just think the initial post here is silly. Please... teach us... :roll:

I'm rooting for them in their district, though.

Dayton is a very good team' date=' but certainly not awe inspiring. The original post in this thread is arrogant in a sort of silly way, seeing as you have teams like WO-S and Newton occupying this forum - teams whose prowess outweigh that of Dayton. Yes, Dayton has done well making it into the playoffs for the last 10 years, but how many times were they knocked out by a team from this district? I think your reasoning for their winning ways is a part of the secrets to success. I think another part has been occupying a very weak district. This year, they are very strong. I just think the initial post here is silly. Please... teach us... :roll:

I'm rooting for them in their district, though.[/quote']

I really do not think he meant it that way but, It does sound a little snotty.

I think piratefans count the post theory works here as well. A lot of people join to make a point or mouth off. I think he was just trying to make a point that is perceived as mouthing off.

I may be wrong, we'll see what Mike has to say. :?:

jsmity,

Good Lord man cry me a freakin river. West Brook gets the same coverage as any team in the area. Hell in the 80's they were the talk of the town but thats back when the district was 22-5A and there was more than 1 local team in it with them. They may not be talked about as much on this or other boards because of the district they play in now. All their games are against teams from cities in the Humble, Kingwood, and Baytown areas. Besides Port Arthur who does the Brook play around here in district??? The reason 22-4A gets more talking and pub throughout the season is because EVERY team is within 45 mins of each other. Youll see the West Brook chatter heat up the week they play Memorial I assure you, just like when they play Central and Ozen predistrict. the fact remains besides West Brook and Memorial fans noone from around here cares about the Baytown Lee Ganders or Humble Kingwood Mustangs. Why should we?

I really don't have anything to say, it's irrelevant anyway. I'm not trying to be coy, or smart, but I'll let the Broncos do my talking on the football field because after all, that's the only place it matters. What we think or say is totally irrelevant because we're not out there getting our noses bloodied.

'nuff said.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami