Crosby Rewards Coach's Belief

Guest GCMPats

Guest GCMPats
[size=14pt]Crosby rewards coach's belief[/size]

By JASON MCDANIEL FOR THE CHRONICLE
Nov. 18, 2009, 12:37AM.
Jerry Baker For the Chronicle

A first-round playoff victory has convinced Crosby coach Kevin Flanigan he was right about his team's potential.

Coach Kevin Flanigan was sure he had a talented team with unlimited potential before the season. But after opening with blowout losses to Ennis and Port Neches-Groves, his certainty wavered.

“We still believed in the kids, but you had to have some doubts,” Flanigan said. “Are we going to be able to get this thing going, correct some problems and iron everything out? I don't think there was anybody out there who said ‘Hey, they're fixing to turn it around and be a district championship team.' ”

But that's exactly what they did.

Going into Saturday's date with Montgomery in the Region III-4A, Division I area playoffs, the Cougars are winners of nine consecutive games and their first outright district title under Flanigan.

“The first two losses were eye-openers for us because we thought going into the season we were better than we actually were, and we thought we didn't have to work to get where we are now,” senior running back Jakacy Evans said. “But after the first two losses and the bye week we got our minds straight and came out in Week 3 full of intensity and firing on all cylinders.”

Flanigan says the turnaround came down to the players believing in themselves as much as the coaches did. They also scraped the man defense they'd been working on and went back to more zone.

Statement win
That change paid off in Week 6, when the Cougars beat Dayton 28-0. It was the Broncos' first shutout loss in 102 games, dating to their 2001 opener.

“That's probably the best defensive effort we've had (in his six seasons) as far as overall effort, creating turnovers and doing some of those important things,” Flanigan said.

Turnover margin has continued to be a strong point for the Cougars, who are a plus-17 in the department. They've won the turnover battle every week except one since the 0-2 start.

Leading the defense are senior cornerback M.J. Mathis, who has five interceptions, and senior inside linebacker Diylan Judy, who Flanigan says is the best defensive player from District 19-4A.

Judy has 58 solo tackles, 33 assisted, three interceptions, two forced fumbles and five fumble recoveries.

But as good as the defense has been, the Cougars wouldn't have won their second district title in three seasons without Evans — who made a mistake and wasn't even allowed to play his junior year.

Evans leads the team with 1,011 yards and 22 touchdowns rushing. He had a season-high 34 carries and 223 yards last week, and scored all five TDs in a 35-29 bi-district win over Nederland.

All about trust
“It means a lot to me because missing last year I thought I fell back,” Evans said. “I lost a couple steps. Coming back this year I feel good about myself and confident in my teammates, but I had to gain their trust. Once I did, everything got good.”

The ground game, led by right tackle Justin Walker and left guard Kyle Lewis, will have to be even better this week to beat the Bears and advance to the third round for the first time since 1978. That's because their defensive line is in for the biggest test of the season against Montgomery's O-line and RB Leroy Dobbins, who has 2,492 yards and 23 TDs rushing.

Guest stilljacked
[quote name="1KatKiller" post="711515" timestamp="1258567729"]
Jim Neidhart. Was a good shot putter in high school, newport, cal. Held the state record for quite some time if I remember. Got his nickname from the calgary stampede rodeo when he actually threw an anvil to win a strongman contest.
[/quote]

And just to think now he's coaching in Crosby, Tx...freaking awesome!!!  Good luck Saturday Cougs!!!!!!

Guest Cap Rock Brewing Co.
A lot of teams lay down after giving up 99 points in 2 games. That team and those coaches deserve credit. Since then the D has pitched 3 shutouts and given up 10 or less in 4 other games.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83