them dang coaches

just what does them dang coaches do anyway?

for 4 months they volunteer their time ,usually 3 times a week from 5 to dark , they stay up before season starts & put together an offense/defense ,they ready for tryouts,player evaluations,select
coaches & team support,team moms ect. they usually buy themselves extra equipment  so they can
prepare their teams, make speed ladders & prepare practice layouts ,stop by store & ready ice,gatorade,cups,bottles,ect. coaches start earlier & leave last,they bandage scrapes & ice bruises.
we talk to young men who have family issues, we check grades & behaviors,both school & home.
parents have ask me to talk & deal with trouble spots with their little men, because those little men
respect their coaches. make phone calls & check up on the sick ones.we deal with divorced parents ,while each side demands different things from us. most coaches show up early & get fields
ready for play.put out yard signs,chains,strip fields,benches,scoreboard equipment ect. this usually
takes place ,starting at 7:00 in the morning. when all games are over hours of clean up,garbages,
equipment, closing down concessions,ect. most players & parents are home hours before. coaches deal
with late night phone calls, some real intrusive words are said to us before we can get a grip on whats happening. we go to coaches clinics,meetings, we check out other teams ect. we practice & play all our young men ,some want to play, some dont ,but we still deal with these guys. some will grow up &
be the studs on our school teams, but while on our youth teams these same younguns could not even
chew gum & walk at the same time .  this is all done as  'VOLUNTEERS ' as time givers, taking away from our daily lives to give to others. yes ,it is a job, seasons seem to get longer as you go. my bow
hunting & fishing really suffer,for real.y time is used up for the young men that our parents & freinds
have loaned us,yes its tiring,taxing , but to see some of these boys become young men, to have mama
come to me & say thank you coach,i was really worried about my son,he was to soft,cried alot, spoiled.
but now i see a little man with a busted lip, he has briuses,scrapes. he tripped over his own feet but now he runs flat out & can compete with any young man. i see total gratification when i hear this.
this is what makes it all worth it. we take individuals & make one (team) out of them, we ready them
for the next level, & when success is accomplished at that level we know we have done our job, when
we see parents hugging us years later ,with tears in their eyes, saying he was once a little soft boy
years ago ,now hes  a young man  leading his team.  yes its a job but it is sure worth it . i could go on , but my point is made. many coaches are also on there respectful boards even taxing their time more, but its still worth it, coaches are not always perfect, we dont always call the right plays,play
the right players, but our time given is always right,man i love being a coach. both good & bad comes from being a coach. you can be the goat,the hero, winner the loser,you stink are you are loved,  you
either are considered fair or biased when & who you play. most of us have sons that play, so we must
gaurd against favor, my son gets in more of a talking than any ,just ask my parents. ive sat some boys
down for the game,sentsome home for the game, & have elevated others , yes parents dont always agree, but its part of coaching, yes i still love coaching,yes ive coaches girls in other sports, but thats
a total different thred,cause 13-14 year old girls have a total different agenda than our young men.
THANKS FOR All OF OUR VOLUNTEERS -THEM DANG COACHES ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

[quote name="LHSALLZONE" post="693830" timestamp="1257120350"]
just what does them dang coaches do anyway?

for 4 months they volunteer their time ,usually 3 times a week from 5 to dark , they stay up before season starts & put together an offense/defense ,they ready for tryouts,player evaluations,select
coaches & team support,team moms ect. they usually buy themselves extra equipment  so they can
prepare their teams, make speed ladders & prepare practice layouts ,stop by store & ready ice,gatorade,cups,bottles,ect. coaches start earlier & leave last,they bandage scrapes & ice bruises.
we talk to young men who have family issues, we check grades & behaviors,both school & home.
parents have ask me to talk & deal with trouble spots with their little men, because those little men
respect their coaches. make phone calls & check up on the sick ones.we deal with divorced parents ,while each side demands different things from us. most coaches show up early & get fields
ready for play.put out yard signs,chains,strip fields,benches,scoreboard equipment ect. this usually
takes place ,starting at 7:00 in the morning. when all games are over hours of clean up,garbages,
equipment, closing down concessions,ect. most players & parents are home hours before. coaches deal
with late night phone calls, some real intrusive words are said to us before we can get a grip on whats happening. we go to coaches clinics,meetings, we check out other teams ect. we practice & play all our young men ,some want to play, some dont ,but we still deal with these guys. some will grow up &
be the studs on our school teams, but while on our youth teams these same younguns could not even
chew gum & walk at the same time .  this is all done as  'VOLUNTEERS ' as time givers, taking away from our daily lives to give to others. yes ,it is a job, seasons seem to get longer as you go. my bow
hunting & fishing really suffer,for real.y time is used up for the young men that our parents & freinds
have loaned us,yes its tiring,taxing , but to see some of these boys become young men, to have mama
come to me & say thank you coach,i was really worried about my son,he was to soft,cried alot, spoiled.
but now i see a little man with a busted lip, he has briuses,scrapes. he tripped over his own feet but now he runs flat out & can compete with any young man. i see total gratification when i hear this.
this is what makes it all worth it. we take individuals & make one (team) out of them, we ready them
for the next level, & when success is accomplished at that level we know we have done our job, when
we see parents hugging us years later ,with tears in their eyes, saying he was once a little soft boy
years ago ,now hes  a young man  leading his team.  yes its a job but it is sure worth it . i could go on , but my point is made. many coaches are also on there respectful boards even taxing their time more, but its still worth it, coaches are not always perfect, we dont always call the right plays,play
the right players, but our time given is always right,man i love being a coach. both good & bad comes from being a coach. you can be the goat,the hero, winner the loser,you stink are you are loved,  you
either are considered fair or biased when & who you play. most of us have sons that play, so we must
gaurd against favor, my son gets in more of a talking than any ,just ask my parents. ive sat some boys
down for the game,sentsome home for the game, & have elevated others , yes parents dont always agree, but its part of coaching, yes i still love coaching,yes ive coaches girls in other sports, but thats
a total different thred,cause 13-14 year old girls have a total different agenda than our young men.
THANKS FOR All OF OUR VOLUNTEERS -THEM DANG COACHES ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

[/quote]Well said! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D. When your're winner nothing is said but as soon as you lose some people have alot to say. I'm the OC for The Wos JR.White Team and i coach other sports also.

team moms do a lot too and deal with a lot == which is why I refused to be one this year!  Phone calls while I was work; phone calls while i was home resting; phone calls late at night; phone calls early in the morning.  Each game I went out and bought ice for the water jugs (that I paid for) and distilled water for the kids.  I provided cookies and snacks as much as my checkbook allowed it.  Rod, Quibodeux, and another coach last year Blagburn, contributed money at the beginning of the year to buy water bottles.  Within the first few weeks they were lost so I went out and bought some more at my expense.  Then bought more. 

The day of the Jr. superbowl last year my family (minus my football player) were involved in a wreck on top of the Rainbow Bridge.  My husband and oldest were unhurt and I insisted that they catch a ride with someone and go to the game to be with our Son, Gary.  During the game I was strapped to a backboard in the ER going through cat scans, MRI's, blood work, neck brace, etc.  Two days later, I was at the end of year party loaded down with treat bags, a referee pinata filled with goodies, 4 dozen blue and white cupcakes, and I was at the assembly line helping hand out hot dogs to the kids and coaches.

I had a parent tell me recently that SHE thought i was a good team mom and she appreciated it.  That prompted me to ask what made her say that and I found out that there were some people complaining that i had not provided cold water for the guys at one game and that was "just the worst".  I didn't do it that game because my kids had been sick; one was brought to the ER because he was so sick, and I was workign on two hours of sleep.

You can't please everyone all the time!  I learned that the hard way.

So I say: thanks to all the team moms of the league.  Glad it was you this year and not me!

IN LUMBERTON, in case people did not know ,2 of our senior coaches coach without any sons,cousins,
nephews playing the sport. these guys sons have graduated from high school , this is how long they have coached without sons . they have been running the lumberton chapter since its start & have put in many hours ,days , months, years. danny golden & mike minton are these fine fellows. thanks for the years of service, the job called VOLUNTEERS. IT TAKES A SPECIAL PERSON TO COACH,TO VOLUNTEER.
good luck & thanks to all stjfl coaches for your selfless dedication & volunteer work that you give to
all our young men & communitys

l-train, ive seen the posts, ive seen post deleted, & this post was not intended to or for you. it was just to remind all of us the time & effort,the job we as coaches take on. if you have not ever coached ,a head coach or assistant, helper or else, it is quiet hard to see just how much time a person,
puts into the 4 months it takes to coach a season. no one needs a coach to critisize anyones son, neither does a coach deserve the same directed to him or his son. one more thing, if a coach does not
cuss,abuse physically,brow beat, lets just say treats one badly, if that coach only plays a player his
10 plays & thats it, this coach has done no injustice to that player.  the coaching, conditioning, the
knoweledge the coaches pass on is just as important to an individual as game playing time. some players
on my team this year got at least the ten plays demanded,some just ten,some stayed on the field the whole time, thats just the way it is. some of the ten play players have come to my house an have played with my boy & i have talked with the parents about this very topic ,most wish there boys could get more play time & when game situation allows I try to accomidate. its hard sometimes to even get the ten play minimum in, its not a perfect situation. as i said before, most coaches played & where
successful at sports themselves, one of the reasons we coach, the thing is in our blood, this allows for
coaches sons to start earlier ,thus they have a head start on other sons. at my sons position is another
young man who is just as good, they split time & a few others are just as good so they get there due,
but all players get the same coaching,the same drills, & when one deserves & have earned their due ,playing, starting comes their way ,its only right. i have questioned coaches calls,play calling & plans, but i did not openly complain out load. theres no law keeping anyone, parent  from talking down
or about a coaches ways, but until you have personally have coached,especially at the head coach
position, my belief is that one should remain silent or at least go to the coach privately & disscuss the
situation between you two. i had been talked to openly, in front of both players ,coaches ,& other parents, & believe me its hard to keep your tounge, but some seem that embarrising a coach in front of the30 or so people standing aound is the way to go, its not. put in extra time with your son as most coaches do with their sons, several times a week, all year long, & you will see that the genetics you
have past on to your young man just might be enough to put him in front of all players next year. my coaching my son & even a few others is a year round deal. its easy to point fingers but it hard to coach
l-train ,this is not intended  to be about you thred, but i have one more game to go, super bowl next
sat. believe me i will be glad when its through ,im tired,the parents are tired, the young men never tired
& the tension the playoffs bring are truely draining, i guess we put ourselves into position for talk as
being coaches ,but volunteer work just doesnt need to be critisized,just my opinion

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83