Paralysis by Analysis

jayhawk

Paralysis by Analysis

By Bryan Cisler

Oct 13, 8:52 pm EDT

Buzz up! PrintYou could probably imagine Kansas linebacker coach Bill Miller’s response after Kansas’ 41-36 victory against Iowa State. The defense and especially the linebackers played their worst game of the year. They missed tackles. They were slow to react to plays. They blew coverages. So did Miller scream? Curse? Maybe throw a few chairs? Nope. He did something even better and more effective. He apologized.

“I told them that I let them down and did a poor job coaching them and it isn’t going to happen again,†Miller said.

So what’s the solution to a defense that gave up more than 500 yards of total offense to one of the worst teams in the Big 12. After the game on Saturday, Mark Mangino wondered aloud that maybe the players were thinking too much on the field. It might be time to simplify the defense. Miller said the diagnosis was paralysis by analysis.

“I got some very bright men in that linebacker group and when they are not playing as fast as they have to play, then that is a coaching error on my part.†Miller said. “It all looked good on the chalkboard, but it’s what those guys can execute and do full speed on the field that matters.â€

Of course it wasn’t just the linebackers that looked bad, it was the entire defense. Several players said this week that they are starting from scratch, trying to find the perfect formula to figure out what suits the players best. Still, no matter what new schemes or plays they simplify, Mangino wants to see a team with a tougher mental edge.

“In this unit, some guys don’t understand what we are trying to do and how we are trying to do it,†Mangino said. “If you are in a tough situation, you revert back to what you feel comfortable doing rather than what the call and assignment says you should do. That goes with lack of discipline in your play, and lack of maturity.â€

Mangino had foreseen the defensive collapse coming since April during spring practices. That might’ve been when he noticed the huge void left by graduating senior linebacker James Holt. Mangino said there hasn’t been much difference in the play between the other seniors linebackers that left in Mike Rivera and Joe Mortensen compared with the current duo of Drew Dudley and Arist Wright. But Holt, well, that one left a mark.

“He could play out in space and could come off the edge,†Mangino said. “We don’t have anybody that can do that.â€

One player who Kansas was hoping could contribute was linebacker Vernon Brooks. The junior college transfer showed up to Lawrence in July out of shape, and more recently suffered a hand injury during practice that has limited his production. The chance for him making an impact soon is starting to fade away.

“Vernon Brooks has not progressed as well as we would have liked,†Mangino said. “He has to make a commitment to getting it done. If he does, he has a chance, if he doesn’t he will get lost in the shuffle.â€

So, more than likely Kansas will have to work with what they have. Miller says maybe the biggest obstacle facing the team now will be trying to create confidence in a group that badly needs a dose of swagger. And you can bet that Miller is doing everything and saying everything to trying to get his linebackers to think they are unbeatable. He said he saw positive signs during Sunday’s practice.

“They came out breathing fire and I thought they were running around great,†Miller said. “I believe in them more than I ever have right now because of how they responded after that ballgame and the mentality that they have.â€

Kansas will have to rebound in a hurry. After next week’s game against Colorado, they will have to deal with an Oklahoma team that should be finding their groove again with quarterback Sam Bradford back in the mix. The following week they travel to Lubbock to face Texas Tech. A team that scored 63 points against Kansas last season.

“They say what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, and nobody is dying in this group,†Miller said. “They are fighting back.â€

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    geho
    Newest Member
    geho