Bears ready to face some Indians for second striaght week

KFDM COOP

Bears ready to face some Indians for second striaght week

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

LITTLE CYPRESS — Two teams with two new coaches, both moving in positive directions, will duke it out Friday at The Reservation as the District 20-4A season kicks off.

The Little Cypress-Mauriceville Bears (2-1) and first-year coach Randy Crouch have certainly gained some momentum, winning their last two games over Bridge City (16-0) and Cleveland (39-36) in a thriller.

Port Neches-Groves (3-0), which had a bye last week, have impressive wins over Barbers Hill, Crosby and Texas City under the guidance of first-year coach Brandon Faircloth.

Crouch is proud of the Bears’ effort thus far this season as LC-M will be searching for its first 20-4A win since late in the 2006 campaign.

“That Cleveland win was super for the kids’ confidence,†said Crouch. “The kids hung in there and hung in their against a very good team and pulled it out in the end. We’re so proud of them, putting up a great fight for 48 minutes. We’ll need that against against PN-G.â€

The Bears are averaging 263.3 yards a game while allowing 307.0, numbers which are head-and-shoulders above last year’s 147.3 and 437.6.

Quarterback Hunter Gonzalez has passed for 445 yards and three touchdowns, with 249 of it and all three TDs coming against Cleveland last week.

His favorite target has been 20-4A’s leading receiver in Zack Sonnier, who has 15 catches for 250 yards and three TDs. Sonnier had eight grabs for 181 yards and three scores against the Indians. Tailback Tevvin Jones adds a nice mix as well with 216 yards and two TDs on 35 carries.

The Indians will check in pumping out 315 yards a game on offense while allowing just 229 a game on defense.

PN-G has been extremely balanced offensively.

Quarterback Brennan Doty has passed for 453 yards and four TDs with receiver Spencer DeRon hauling in 10 catches for 234 yards and there TDs. Running back Caleb Harmon is 20-4A’s second leading rusher with 365 yards and four TDs on 62 totes.

‘PN-G has a nice little offense,†said Crouch. “They’re very balanced. They can play at different tempos. They make you play the whole field and can extend your defense. They’ll get in the no-huddle offense and go to work. They really make you prepare for a lot of different things. They’re going t be a tough challenge for us.â€

The 20-4A schedule certainly benefits the Indians while it hampers the Bears.

The Bears also suit out about 36 players and 12 seniors. The Indians dress out over 60 and have 43 seniors.

PN-G will play its first five games at home this year and won’t go on the road for the first time until a road trip to Livingston Oct. 9.

Meanwhile, the Bears are in a stretch of four straight road games and will play five of their 20-4A games on the road.

“We’re in the toughest stretch of the season and we knew that when it all started,†said Crouch. “The kids, though, are eager to play. The atmosphere at PN-G is always special, and they’ll have a packed house. Coach Faircloth has done an excellent job in his first year. The thing about football is that the field is always 100 yards long no matter where you’re playing. I think it’s going to be an interesting game. The district, as a whole, is going to be very interesting.â€

‘PN-G has a nice little offense,†said Crouch. “They’re very balanced. They can play at different tempos. They make you play the whole field and can extend your defense. They’ll get in the no-huddle offense and go to work. They really make you prepare for a lot of different things. They’re going t be a tough challenge for us.† Once he see's the offensive line he will re-frame from the little comment.

“We’re in the toughest stretch of the season and we knew that when it all started,†said Crouch. “The kids, though, are eager to play. The atmosphere at PN-G is always special, and they’ll have a packed house. Coach Faircloth has done an excellent job in his first year. The thing about football is that the field is always 100 yards long no matter where you’re playing. I think it’s going to be an interesting game. The district, as a whole, is going to be very interesting.†At the Reservation the field is actually 120 yards long.  I'm not to sure that LCM's coach is aware of this.

Wow... bout right... guys like you make PN-G look bad.  I guess Crouch should have just said PN-G is 3-0 and the most dominant 4A team in the area.  I really hope our kids get on the bus early so we can get there in time to check out the "120 yard" field PN-G has installed over there. 

I think he meant "little" as in the fact that they have been effective just not overly productive (averaging just 20 points per game).  Also, last I checked there is only a 100 yard surface as to which the ball can be spotted and/or a play run from.

One more thing... what does "re-frame" mean?  Is that a construction term?  By context alone I can assume you meant refrain which means to keep oneself from doing...

Maybe you should "refrain" from posting.  Just a suggestion...

Wow... bout right... guys like you make PN-G look bad.  I guess Crouch should have just said PN-G is 3-0 and the most dominant 4A team in the area.  I really hope our kids get on the bus early so we can get there in time to check out the "120 yard" field PN-G has installed over there. 

I think he meant "little" as in the fact that they have been effective just not overly productive (averaging just 20 points per game).  Also, last I checked there is only a 100 yard surface as to which the ball can be spotted and/or a play run from.

One more thing... what does "re-frame" mean?  Is that a construction term?  By context alone I can assume you meant refrain which means to keep oneself from doing...

:D :D :D

Thank you so much for the grammar check.  I guess the professor I had in college must have learned me wrong.  Oops, there I go again should have said taught me wrong.  I was trying to speak in LCM Ebonics, you know all you back wood fellows would re-frame anything if you had too.  Is 7 your age or IQ? Must be your IQ, because this board is for opinions and facts so please "refrain" from the comments.  Oh by-the-way, when are the goal post not on the playing surface?  The last time I check there was 120 yards between them!

Thank you so much for the grammar check.  I guess the professor I had in college must have learned me wrong.  Oops, there I go again should have said taught me wrong.  I was trying to speak in LCM Ebonics, you know all you back wood fellows would re-frame anything if you had too.  Is 7 your age or IQ? Must be your IQ, because this board is for opinions and facts so please "refrain" from the comments.  Oh by-the-way, when are the goal post not on the playing surface?  The last time I check there was 120 yards between them!

Is this a trick question?  ;D  The goal posts have not been on the playing surface since the 1960's.    ;)  ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83