Why the Dawgs will make a deep playoff run in '09

shooter

I think Jasper better stop looking that far into the future and start paying attention to their opponents this friday, the HF longhorns.  HF is looking stout this year and they will Jasper a run for their money.  Look for HF's OLB Marco Arevelo to have a big game.  He is the Justin Hallmark of HF.(Except he doesn't have a tat on his back)

J-Dog, where are all of these "Rabid Dogs" coming from? LOL Where were they last year when the dogs weren't doing so hot? I am glad Jasper is doing well SO FAR, but if you end up 2-8 this WILL NOT be considered a successful year, I don't care if one of those wins were over the state champion.

Also, you newbies around here bumping your gums need to learn some public message board "rules of thumb":

1. Since most of you start showing up after a big win (in this case two of them), just make sure you do your best not to insult the team you just beat. Normally, your team will have to play them again next year. Fans, coaches that read these boards and players will remember what you say. They will not remember "who" said it, they will remember "Jasper" said it.

2. It's ok to be excited, but you must use a little self control with making lofty predictions. Many things can happen during the course of a season that can de-rail your success. People don't forget when you start boasting and I guarantee, there is always a sniper running around that will dig up your old posts and remind you of what you said.

3. Be a fan and support your team, but also remember when making lofty predictions that coaches and players DO read these boards and you NEVER want to say anything that may end up on someones bulletin board, or talked about, that will give your opponent cause to be motivated. Jasper has a tough enough schedule, other teams don't need anything else to motivate them. This also includes how good or bad you think a team is. Even if you do think they are terrible, don't say it. Most teams are not bad forever.  

IMO some of the long time posters(maybe even from WOS) could do with reading this.

J-Dog, where are all of these "Rabid Dogs" coming from? LOL Where were they last year when the dogs weren't doing so hot? I am glad Jasper is doing well SO FAR, but if you end up 2-8 this WILL NOT be considered a successful year, I don't care if one of those wins were over the state champion.

Also, you newbies around here bumping your gums need to learn some public message board "rules of thumb":

1. Since most of you start showing up after a big win (in this case two of them), just make sure you do your best not to insult the team you just beat. Normally, your team will have to play them again next year. Fans, coaches that read these boards and players will remember what you say. They will not remember "who" said it, they will remember "Jasper" said it.

2. It's ok to be excited, but you must use a little self control with making lofty predictions. Many things can happen during the course of a season that can de-rail your success. People don't forget when you start boasting and I guarantee, there is always a sniper running around that will dig up your old posts and remind you of what you said.

3. Be a fan and support your team, but also remember when making lofty predictions that coaches and players DO read these boards and you NEVER want to say anything that may end up on someones bulletin board, or talked about, that will give your opponent cause to be motivated. Jasper has a tough enough schedule, other teams don't need anything else to motivate them. This also includes how good or bad you think a team is. Even if you do think they are terrible, don't say it. Most teams are not bad forever.  

IMO some of the long time posters(maybe even from WOS) could do with reading this.

Believe me, I DON'T disagree with you. Just giving them a little advice, I think that every team has a few fans who don't care about that. But at least they are given the opportunity to take it. ;)

Well said.  :)  but I have no idea where the rabid dogs are coming from.  Perhaps Roganville?  ;D

J-dog what do you call a successful year? Jasper has upset two state rank teams and you wouldn't call it successful?  I can guarantee you that there's not another team in southeasttexas that would step up to the plate and play their schedule. Honestly they could lose the rest of their games and still be classified as having a successful year. ...

Calm down Bluetic.  Plenty of people are giving Jasper credit.  But by next year, anything short of a long, long run in the playoffs will be mostly forgotten.  Even the fact that Jasper beat two "state ranked" teams is already moot because those teams are no longer "ranked" because they lost to the "lowly" Dogs.  It is not fair, but that is how the pollsters look at it.  Right now they are looking for "undefeated" records.  They don't care diddly for strength of schedule.  Rankings are nice, but they really don't amount to anything until you deliver on the field for the entire season.

Do you remember the 87 season?  Jasper was Campbell's preseason No. 1 and probably most people thought it was a cinch to win state.  For sure Jasper had a great team.  Jasper lost to WOS 0-3 in district, and then was promptly knocked out of the playoffs in the first round I believe it was by West Columbia.  WOS went on to win their second state championship.  For Jasper, it was basically just another missed opportunity to win state.  Ditto for 2002 and several other years.

Well anyway, what I would REALLY consider a successful season would be a state championship.  Just making the playoffs is something the largest school in the district should almost consider a given.

Again, Gas is right.  It is not the smartest thing in the world to be giving opposing teams free bulleten board material.  Unless of courese you are not from Jasper and just want to stir the pot.  ;D

The universe seems to be balanced again (around jasper) after the kville win.  I could not imagine what practice would have been like in the 80's if we would have lost to kville (not that we would have played them we always played up) but jasper should beat kville every year because of numbers... and should play wos competive every year...Its funny when these things happen no one starts talkin about baseball during football season.

My buddy j_dog pretty much nailed it. When Jasper's program was at its best, every level from 7th grade all the way up was very deep and could mop the floor with 75% of the schedule. We need to get back to that level before we can expect to be an elite team that can go deep into the playoffs every year. We'll learn more every week, but there's a long way to go...

My buddy j_dog pretty much nailed it. When Jasper's program was at its best, every level from 7th grade all the way up was very deep and could mop the floor with 75% of the schedule. We need to get back to that level before we can expect to be an elite team that can go deep into the playoffs every year. We'll learn more every week, but there's a long way to go...

I do believe Jasper is headed in the right direction.  :)

I do believe Jasper is headed in the right direction.   :)

I like seeing coach Beckham at the middle school games arguing with the officals and coaching kids up...back in the day we almost never lost a middle school game.

I like seeing coach Beckham at the middle school games arguing with the officals and coaching kids up...back in the day we almost never lost a middle school game.

That's what I remember, too. There were coaches at JMS (Brack, Willoughby, etc.) that knew exactly what was done at the varsity level and did a great job coaching the kids to run the same thing. By the time they got to high school, they were in better shape than other kids and used to winning football games. Granted, it never translated to state titles even though we played some great football, but Jasper's tradition was built on those days and how things were done.

agreed,  it helps with our numbers when everyone gets excited about football and wants to play.  Coach willoughby is still there coaching them up but I would like to see some older more experenced coaches helping willoughby.  Also dedicate 7th grade and 8th grade coaches instead of 3 or 4 coaches trying to coach both this would help in the development.  and by no means am I saying the middle school coaches are not capable.  some of our older coaches that have kinda retired (brack, buck, ect..) they still have alot to teach I bet..

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami