SFA MEET

3A-CC-Coach

The Orange Leader

Van Wade

Cardinal CC Teams Shine at SFA Event

NACOGDOCHES — The Bridge City Cross Country team were early risers and strong finishers at the Brooks Lumberjack Invitational Saturday at Stephen F. Austin University.

The Cardinal boys finished a strong second among a field of 17 teams and the Lady Cardinals were a stout fourth out of 17 teams.

“I told the kids this was one of the most important meets of the season and man, did they ever respond,†said Cardinal coach Cody Knight. “It took a lot for them to get to school at 4:15 a.m. in the morning. No one complained. As a matter of fact, 75 percent of them were here waiting when I pulled up at 4 a.m. They went out and competed very well.â€

The Cardinals were led by Tim Cude, who covered the three-mile terrain in 16 minutes, 37 seconds to capture third place out of 145 runners. He was followed by teammates Kirby Shepherd (14th, 17:33), Aaron lejeune (24th, 17:58), Sawyer Hogan (25th, 17:59), Luke Hebert (26th, 17:59), Armando Chavez (33rd, 18:18), and Jose Chavez (45th, 17:58).

Lufkin won the meet with 65 points. Bridge City was second with 77 followed by 3A Region III rival Lufkin Hudson, which had 97.

“I’m really proud of the guys’ effort,†said Knight. “Lufkin Hudson was really on our heels all day and we’ll see plenty of them in the future. The course was a really good test for our kids.â€

The Lady Cardinals fourth-place finish was awesome as only 5A and 4A schools topped them in the standings.

Magnolia West won with a stunning 18 points. Lufkin (91) was second followed by Forney (96) then Bridge City (138). Lufkin Hudson was the next 3A unit, placing sixth with 178 points.

“I’m so happy for our girls,†said Knight. “Magnolia West was certainly amazing. Our girls held their own against some much bigger schools andI certainly think it gives them even more confidence. They’ve ran so well all years.â€

Meagan Shockley led the Lady Cardinals, running the two-mile course in 12:44 to place 15th among 147 competitors. She was followed by teammates Mary Nguyen (17th, 12:51), Jessica Franklin (27th, 13:12), Ariel Chesson (47th, 13:48), Arron Valencia (63rd, 14:15), Courtney Meaux (65th, 14:18), and Alex Holland (69th, 14:26).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder