Pirates look to get healthy as Hawks roll in

Pirates look to get healthy as Hawks roll in

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

VIDOR — Going into their final non-district tilt against Hardin-Jefferson, the Vidor Pirates are looking to heal a few injuries and go out and execute to the best of their abilities.

The Pirates (2-0) will be trying to go 3-0 for the first time since 1979 and are coming off a 53-21 thumping of Houston St. Thomas last week in which they piled up 573 yards of total offense, 493 of it coming on the ground.

“The kids are playing some solid football right now,†said Vidor head coach Jeff Mathews. We cut our penalties down from nine to five in one week and we’ve just had one turnover in each game. The biggest thing right now is being able to create some more turnovers on defense, we’re going to need those come district time.â€

The Pirates will have a bye week after the H-J game before venturing to Beaumont Central for their District 20-4A opener Sept. 25.

Right now, the Pirates are nursing some injuries.

“Two of our back, Shayne (Pitman) and Jacob (Peevey) went out with injuries against St. Thomas,†said Mathews. “We also hope to have back (lineman (Matt Newby) and (tight end) Scotty Utterback back soon. Those four are so key for us. But I tell you what, our backup players have stepped in and have done an outstanding job.â€

Pitman is 20-4A’s leading rusher with 292 yards and a touchdown on 36 carries while backfield mate Kevin Tate has muscled his way to 201 yards and a team-leading four touchdowns on just 22 totes.

The Pirates will enter the H-J game with 20-4A’s leading offense (504.0 yards a game) and the top defense (201.0 yards a game).

“Offensively, we’ve been able to do what we want to, and that’s moving the ball and the clock,†said Mathews. “Defensively, we’ve been very good too, just looking to force a few more turnovers to give our offense a shorter field.â€

Hardin-Jefferson (1-1) bounced back from a tough 35-7 loss to Cleveland by taking down the Woodville Eagles 26-7 last week.

H-J checks into the Vidor contest averaging 303.5 yards a game while allowing 325.0.

The Hawks’ top weapon thus for has been bruising tailback Jacoby Turner, who has shredded defenses for 306 yards and a touchdown on 36 carries so for.

H-J quarterback Blake Venable has rushed for 135 yards and three touchdowns on 22 carries and has completed 15-of-26 passes for 102 yards.

“Hardin-Jefferson has got some nice athletes,†said Mathews. “They like to spread you out and that gives No. 21 (Turner) more space to run in. They will be a good test for us with district starting afterwards.â€

Mathews feels the bye week will help.

“Some people might say it could slow down any type of momentum you have,†said Mathews. “I think it will be to our advantage. We’ve got several kids that need to heal up and you definitely want to be at full speed when you open up district against a team like Central.â€

any word on pittman and peevey. i heard the injury to pittman was worse. hopefully both are 100% for district. i think they can do without them this week, then they're off a week. hopefully the big boy can get some playing time this week before district.

Talked to Shayne at church on Sunday and he said he should be fine...

any word on Pittman and peevey. i heard the injury to Pittman was worse. hopefully both are 100% for district. i think they can do without them this week, then they're off a week. hopefully the big boy can get some playing time this week before district.

I understand both are small injuries. I talked to Pitman personally Sunday at church and he said he would be practicing Wednesday (Tomorrow.) 

any word on pittman and peevey. i heard the injury to pittman was worse. hopefully both are 100% for district. i think they can do without them this week, then they're off a week. hopefully the big boy can get some playing time this week before district.

We must go to the same church! ;D

We must go to the same church! ;D

Haha it's a possibility  ;)

Guest blackflag

Pittman and Peevey had minor injuries. Matt Newby 6'6" 320 LBS should get some playing time this week and be back for the Central game. It sure is nice to know that even if Pittman and Peevey sit out this game there are  plenty of people to run the ball. I would like to see them sit out.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    newyourk01
    Newest Member
    newyourk01