13 YO Texas Football Player Found Dead

Apparentley from heat stress from practice.... this is a very real issue. Ive dealt with it personaly..its a horrible thing to deal with.

Please watch your kids..hydrate, hydrate, hydrate and it's always better to be safe than sorry.

This is the hidden content, please

Link to info on warning signs-

This is the hidden content, please

First off Im not making light of this deal cause what happened to this family is the worst. But i wanna point out a couple things from what I read.

thing 1 is jrhs started this week all over the state so these boys not worked out like our boys. think the rules say week 1 of hs & jrhs is condition. We been at it now for 5 weeks and there never been a heat problem in this league since I been around.

thing 2 is an hour in 105 heat tells me there something else might be going on since a kid in texas should be able to take heat like that for an hour. saturday here was close to 110.

thing 3 is the story don’t say how he died. could have been a health thing or drug thing who knows. Not calling the kid a drug head but we don’t know what he up to.

The last thing is that you can always find a story like this somewheres. Not sayin nothin about the kid or his familys grief but with the number of kids in texas you should know about this problem and how to keep it from your team. like sombody said here before if you see ligtnin its time to come out the rain

Just pointing out that beating the heat and toughing it out ain't about bravado, it can kill you if you don't respect it and manage your body.  I'm not saying anything about anything else, other than that.  There were a lot of folks making light of the heat... don't take it lightly.  Take care of your kids.

Anybody want to joke and make light about the heat now?  Prayers go out to this boys family and friends.

some people are genetically more susceptible to heat related illnesses. they may go thru life not knowing until pushed to a certain point. it also doesn't always go by the shape the kid is in. when i was in basic training, a kid fell out after a ride to a range in a "cattle trailer". he was one of the fittest guys in our company. he tried to come back 2 weeks later, but it happened again. the docs said he was predisposed to this and would be  for the rest of his life. he was lucky to be alive. he had played and done all the regular things kids do growing up and was fine until he reached that certain point. please read the indications for heat exhaustion/stroke and know the signs and what to do if it happens. you never know. my prayers go out to the family. ps... energy drinks are extremely dangerous in the heat for kids.

#1: Regardless if it WAS heat or something else, a child is dead. 

#2: I myself was overcome by the heat this past Saturday in Kountze and could not stay to see my son play.  All I was doing was sitting there, the players were in (what seems like it would weigh) tons of shoulder pads and helmets and pants, etc.  It can and does happen. 

#3: water, water, water / take a break, break, break

#4: When its all said and done, no matter what your age, isn't it just a game and not worth risking lives over?  Sure, we all want our children to win.  Coaches want their teams to win.  That doesn't mean that common sense should be put aside.

#5: Finally, if this child did die from heat related issues then everyone, in our area and elsewhere, needs to see to it that our kids do not have this happen to them. 

There is NOTHING to laugh about when it comes to the health and safety of our kids!

Just a tip: start hydrating your kids the day and night before you play.Stay away from energy drinks and water,water and more water.

This is very sad..Coaches and parents have to be smart about this,  especially around here..I wouldn't let a kid go back in Saturday because he looked like he was about to pass out..Be msart and keep your kids hydrated.

when you say "energy drinks" are you meaning Gatorade and Powerade?  I know that is probably a stupid question but I really need to know.  I send my son to practice with a big Gatorade or Powerade drink and do the same for gameday.  If this is not what he needs, then someone, please, tell me because I don't want him to get hurt in anyway because of the heat.

Just a tip: start hydrating your kids the day and night before you play.Stay away from energy drinks and water,water and more water.

This is very sad..Coaches and parents have to be smart about this,  especially around here..I wouldn't let a kid go back in Saturday because he looked like he was about to pass out..Be msart and keep your kids hydrated.

very good point. the kids need to be hydrated the day before you know they are going to be out in the heat. if you wait until they're thirsty you're already behind. good post, but i wouldn't expect less from a pirate. ;D

when you say "energy drinks" are you meaning Gatorade and Powerade?  I know that is probably a stupid question but I really need to know.  I send my son to practice with a big Gatorade or Powerade drink and do the same for gameday.  If this is not what he needs, then someone, please, tell me because I don't want him to get hurt in anyway because of the heat.

gatorade and powerade are great. energy drinks like monster, rock star, red bull etc. are horrible for kids and actually dehydrate them more. most of the jr. high and older kids drink these.

i think the coaches in the league have always done a good job of taking care of the kids.it was no hotter than some days at practice & games in past years,so why would the coaches sat. be any less careful?sure kids die every year from sports related accidents,but compared to the number that play in the state i think coaches and league officials do a great job with safety.10 min. quarters are fine,kids work their butts off in practice let them play for awhile on sat. 8 min quarters in jr. high is ridiculous by the time you sit down to watch the game its halfway over.minimum 6 hours of practice a week for a 32 min game that just dont seem right to me. 8 min quarters in jr. high basketball is really brutal. im will be happy as hell when the 1st cool front hits ;D :D;).my players started hydrating yesterday!

No Gatorade,Powerade are good...I am referring to Monster,Redbull all them drinks like that..Basically all that is ,is sugar..It gives you a quick high but not hydrate.

Powerade,Gatorade,WATER are all very good..drink the day and night before.I try to keep mine away from cokes the day before.

• 2 weeks later...

Best thing to drink the day before and day of the game is this.. SUPER POWER PUNCH PLUS from SMOOTHIE KING. Order it with extra electrolytes. When you get done with it, drink water the rest of the day. You won't be sorry!

Based on my few experiences with smoothie king.....that drink sounds like it may need to offer a payment plan............

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder