Nederland 3 Rhode Island 2 F next is Florida

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Knox steals home in Nederland's win over Cranston

By Ben Zimmerman

There’s a reason that the greatest poker game in the world is named after Texas.

And on an idyllic Wednesday evening at David Story Field, the boys from the southeastern corner of the Lone Star State showed everyone why.

Hunter Knox stole home for Nederland’s first run, and Spencer Droddy’s perfect safety squeeze bunt in the fifth inning scored David Conley with the game-winner as the Southwest Regional champions nipped Cranston, R.I., 3-2 in the quarterfinals of the Babe Ruth 13-15 World Series.

“That’s Texas baseball,†said Nederland third baseman Trent Fontenot. “We go out and take what we can get.â€

The victory eliminated Cranston and sent Nederland into the semifinals, where it will take on Tallahassee, Fla., at 7:35 p.m. Thursday. Tallahassee beat Nederland 4-2 in the semifinals of the 2008 14-year-old World Series, which everyone from Nederland remembers.

“We’ve been waiting on it a long time,†Nederland manager Juan Rodriguez said.

But just in case anyone had forgotten, Tallahassee rekindled the Texans’ thirst for vengeance at a barbecue held by Kelso residents Cal and Kim Miller on Saturday night.

The Millers, who are hosting several players from Tallahassee, invited Nederland to join the fun at Saturday’s cookout. Several Nederland players commandeered the family’s ping-pong table, and were enjoying themselves when Tallahassee’s Gillis Langston showed up and issued a challenge.

“He said, ‘Gimme the best you’ve got, and I’ll beat ’em,’†Rodriguez said. “So he beats a few of my guys. Then he beat me 21-16.â€

After he had stopped laughing hysterically, the Nederland skipper put on his best poker face.

“We’re coming to get him,†Rodriguez said

read more>  

This is the hidden content, please

Knox steals home in Nederland's win over Cranston

By Ben Zimmerman

There’s a reason that the greatest poker game in the world is named after Texas.

And on an idyllic Wednesday evening at David Story Field, the boys from the southeastern corner of the Lone Star State showed everyone why.

Hunter Knox stole home for Nederland’s first run, and Spencer Droddy’s perfect safety squeeze bunt in the fifth inning scored David Conley with the game-winner as the Southwest Regional champions nipped Cranston, R.I., 3-2 in the quarterfinals of the Babe Ruth 13-15 World Series.

“That’s Texas baseball,†said Nederland third baseman Trent Fontenot. “We go out and take what we can get.â€

The victory eliminated Cranston and sent Nederland into the semifinals, where it will take on Tallahassee, Fla., at 7:35 p.m. Thursday. Tallahassee beat Nederland 4-2 in the semifinals of the 2008 14-year-old World Series, which everyone from Nederland remembers.

“We’ve been waiting on it a long time,†Nederland manager Juan Rodriguez said.

But just in case anyone had forgotten, Tallahassee rekindled the Texans’ thirst for vengeance at a barbecue held by Kelso residents Cal and Kim Miller on Saturday night.

The Millers, who are hosting several players from Tallahassee, invited Nederland to join the fun at Saturday’s cookout. Several Nederland players commandeered the family’s ping-pong table, and were enjoying themselves when Tallahassee’s Gillis Langston showed up and issued a challenge.

“He said, ‘Gimme the best you’ve got, and I’ll beat ’em,’†Rodriguez said. “So he beats a few of my guys. Then he beat me 21-16.â€

After he had stopped laughing hysterically, the Nederland skipper put on his best poker face.

“We’re coming to get him,†Rodriguez said

read more>  

This is the hidden content, please

Great article!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    newyourk01
    Newest Member
    newyourk01