Spurger's Varsity

They will be pretty solid this year.Not quite as good as last year simply because the lost their PG(Johnny Whittaker)His little brother is developing into a pretty solid post player along with the Sheffield kid.I don't think they will be real strong in the backcourt but overall a pretty good 1-a school team.They don't play football so they will be a little bit ahead of most of the other1-a clubs around southeast texas.I was surprised they were not a playoff team last year,they had a lot of potential.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 972BBallCoach

They will be pretty good. I am good friends with Coach Stapert. He will have the kids going in the right direction. Yes, losing Johnnie will hurt the team, however they will still be young. They have probably the best outside shooter in the area and he is a junior. I have personally watched him shoot 200 out of 250 3 pointers using "The Gun". Also they will be big down low in the post. They have one athletic post and the other is a bruiser. They have a couple of athletic kids as well that will be in the back court. However they will be really good in the next few years. They have an extrememly talented 8th grade group. 3 of those kids will make varsity as freshman and will have an impact on games. The reason they did not make the playoffs the past couple years is because Broaddus was in the district and they were #1 in the state and they had probably the best kid in 1A (Travis Elizalde) and Burkeville who was in the top 10 and almost beat Bogota Rivercrest (Who eventually went on to win the State Championship). Coach Stapert has done a SUPERB job at Spurger and soon the rest of you will see. I wouldn't be surprised to see Spurger at Austin in the following years.

I wasn't downing Spurgers Varsity.I actually really like their coach and know they will be pretty good this year.Their 2 big guys Whittaker and Sheffield are definitely their strengths.I have watched them all summer and their backcourt is not nearly as stong as last years.They do have some kids who can shoot the 3 but they are not anywhere near the best pure shooters in the area,overall I think they have a playoff caliber club but I'm not sure what district they will be in this year.Big Sandy will be pretty solid but Broaddus and Evadale will be down a bit.Not sure about Burkeville.Spurgers biggest challenge is going to be staying out of foul trouble if the officials let them bang they will be fine.If not they aren't real deep.

Guest 972BBallCoach

As I recall, the kid I am saying can shoot dropped 25 on Warren last year and I know he scored around 20 the other 2 times Spurger played Warren. He also had a few games where he scored 15 or more (mainly 3 pointers) Coach Hand told me he was the best shooter he had seen since he came down here. I know you weren't dogging Spurger. They will be very competitive in District. Evadale will be down. Big Sandy, West Hardin and Hull-Daisetta will all be very hard games for Spurger. I know Spurger beat Hull by 30 both times they played Hull last year. I really think it will be between Spurger and West Hardin for first. The teams that make the playoffs from this district may play each other again down the road.

We played them in summer league all summer long. They scored their points in the paint. Very physical with no refs. If their two post stay out of foul trouble they will do very well. If not they will be in trouble. I love their coach and he will be their biggest asset.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83