Lady Bears serve past Orangefield

Lady Bears serve past Orangefield

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

LITTLE CYPRESS — Taking advantage of superb serving, the Little Cypress-Mauriceville Lady Bears dismantled the Orangefield Lady Bobcats 25-4, 25-19, 25-10 in non-district volleyball action at The Bear Cave Tuesday night in a battle of two playoff squads from last year.

The Lady Bears (8-1) scored 55 points of their 75 points off their serve as they had the Lady Bobcats (2-4) backing up for most of the match.

The Lady Bears also served up 12 aces to coast to the victory.

Senior standout Christine Sicktich paced the Lady Bears with 11 kills, 11 points and a whopping five aces.

She had plenty of help from her teammates though.

Ashton LaVergne had nine kills and Shelby Apperson had eight to help set the tone at the net.

Elissa Tate had a solid all-around game, notching nine points, five kills and an ace.

Libero Shelby Sanchez and Kellie Tilley both did a solid job setting up the Lady Bear offense as Sanchez had 12 points and three aces hile Tilley added nine points. Amy Laughlin and Megan Kemp contributed three kills apiece. Kalyn Harkness added five points while Allison Walker had four and Callie Terry three.

Freshman Rylie Granger led the Lady Bobcats with four kills and four points.

Aimee Scales and Carly Rucker tallied three kills apiece. Kaitlynn Henson contributed four points and two kills while Ashlee Broussard had three points.

The Lady Bears will head to the Northwest Tournament in Fort Worth and will start play Thursday and the Lady Bobcats return to action Friday when they play host to Beaumont Ozen.

Orangefield is a very young team...we start two freshmen and several underclassmen play significant minutes. I think too many people put to high of expectations on this team...yes we advanced to the 3rd round last year, but we lost some key players to graduation. Also our best back line player tore her ACL and is out for the year. But with all that said, we'll be in the mix for one of those 3 playoff spots. Also I'll give props to the coach for playing a tougher schedule this year...she's playing bigger schools like LCM, Ozen, Nederland, and New Caney and a tougher tournament schedule. This will only help this team get better. They have a bunch of kinks to work out, but once they all get on the same page this team can and will make some noise in district play. Just have patience fans...and ladies keep your heads up and just keep working!!!

I know Orangefield is young, but they look confused out on the court. I watched them yesterday and they were all over the place. While LCM was like a fine oiled machine, always in the right spot, Orangefield looked like some chickens running around with their heads cut off. Several times the back row was to shallow on the court, they always seemed to run up to close to the net and LCM picked them apart. To many holes on the floor, they give their opponents easy kill opportunities because the floor is wide open. I don't know the game that well, but is this just not coached over there. When they were in the right spots they usually dug the ball, but that didn't happen often. They also would get in each others way a lot, didn't understand that part either. Also it looks like the kids are just going through the motions out there. They play with little or no emotion, while LCM was full of emotion and it showed in their play. It's hard to compare these two teams really because LCM is an established program that's been doing this for years...kind of like Orangefield has been in basketball. Young or not, they have a lot of work to do and I believe it starts with the coaching. Both the coaches and players look like they're trying to coach and play not to make a mistake. Can't coach or play that way and be successful...make it fun again and get back to basics. I thought they made the game difficult at times by trying to do to much...relax and have fun!!!

Not according to the VB guru Bobcat!!! OF is making great decisions putting stronger teams in their schedule. That's how programs are created, "ADVERSITY" Looks like the coach over there actually does know something afterall.

Well VBchubby, I never said I was a guru. You don't think that playing better teams is going to make your team better in the long run. Maybe I'm misreading your post...please enlighten me!!!

the orangefield girls are young. i got to watch them play against buna. their form was good. they are generally hitting the ball better than ever, passing, actually playing a defenese that can work, and their passing. i don't mean they are all great, but as a team their form in each of these areas is on a higher level... at least i think it is. they definately get into moments where they freeze up and make "rookie" mistakes. and playing LCM.... they are really good. good teams make you look like you dont have a clue sometimes.

anyway, it is going to be a good season for the OF lady bobcats. program is getting stronger. can't wait til my daughter gets to be a part of the program

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami