Deweyville football tuning in well

Deweyville football tuning in well

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

DEWEYVILLE — It’s going to be a highly-competitive District 23-2A race again this year and the Deweyville Pirates are looking to be right in the mix.

There will be no surprises in the Deweyville camp this year. Last season, the Pirates were picking up new schemes from first-year head coach Russell McDaniel.

The Pirates went on to post a 4-5 overall mark, 2-4 in 23-2A.

This season, it’s all by rehashing what they learned last year and re-tooling certain areas as McDaniel will lead the Pirates on the field for his second year.

“It’s been really hot, but the kids have been working hard,†said McDaniel Friday. “Those first few days are tough, alot of conditioning and all. It was great to put on the pads and watch them hit a little bit today.â€

The Pirates return five starters on offense and five on defense.

Key veterans include running back Keeton Addison (850 yards and nine TDs in 2008) along with linemen Channing O’Bannion, Eddie Barlow and Zach Trahan and also new quarterback Michael Williams, linebacker Jacob Burris and defensive back Eric Avila.

“The kids pretty much have our system down pat,†said McDaniel. “The older kids are doing really well and we’re counting on their leadership to help out the younger ones. So far, they’ve been doing a good job.â€

The Pirates remain as the smallest school enrollment-wise in 23-2A but they plan to battle hard once again in a rugged loop.

“If we can stay healthy, we can compete with anybody,†said McDaniel. “We do worry about depth. We’ve got three offensive lineman prospects that have went down already.â€

The Pirates have two scrimmages set up.

They will take on Kirbyville and the Silsbee JV Aug. 15 at Silsbee High School and will visit an always gritty Hull-Daisetta unit Aug. 20.

“We’ve got a couple nice scrimmages set up and we’ll go from there,†said McDaniel. “We’ve got plenty of time to evaluate the kids before Sabine Pass comes to our place.â€

The Pirates will open the regular season Aug. 28 at home against the Sabine Pass Sharks.

Good article and luck to you Pirates.

Thanks etbu gonna be exciting this year, unfortunately the old injury bug has bitten early this year, some younger players will have to step up and fill in the gaps. The Pirates will put 11 on the field that will play hard for 4 qtrs, no quit in this bunch.

Guest happyhour4

i cant wait to see some of these games they got some good players on this team addison is a beast at running back and the line is pretty good to and im ready to see jacob burris lay some people out

The Rebels have played the Pirates almost every year that I have been in Evadale (going on 8 years now) and I can say that I have great respect for your school, coaches, players and fans. You have always shown class and sportmanship on and off the field at your place our ours. In your old stadium or in your new it makes no difference. As a matter of fact I think we played in your first regular season home game on the new field?

We are looking forward to our trip to Deweyville on Sept 4th, it should be a great game as always. Best of luck to the Pirates this season...except on Sept 4th, you know!

DP14 - Thanks for always supporting the Rebels on your posts, they are appreciated!

Can't wait for Thursday night at 7pm in Bobcat Stadium. Should be a good scrimmage between H-D and Deweyville. Good luck to both teams and I pray the Lord keeps all the players healthy. I remember playing against Levi and Logan Moore, man they were good players.

Hey 55, if I come over to Hull Thursday you gonna let me sit on ya'lls side?  ;D

Can't wait for Thursday night at 7pm in Bobcat Stadium. Should be a good scrimmage between H-D and Deweyville. Good luck to both teams and I pray the Lord keeps all the players healthy. I remember playing against Levi and Logan Moore, man they were good players.

Good quote HDBobcat, the Bobcats always puts a good team on the field and it should benefit both teams Thursday.

Good luck PIRATES I don't Know If I will be able to go to any of the games this year, It still hurts not having destin here with us But i wish all of y'all the Best  of luck GOD Bless All the players AND the Fans.

We all still mourn Destin, and he will be missed alot this year, Clint if you and Monica need anything don't hesitate to ask. We love ya'll.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed