Hoops coaches come, go at Crosby High School

Hoops coaches come, go at Crosby High School

By Dave Rogers

Published July 1, 2009

Crosby basketball will have a different look next season, though not exactly a brand new one.

Both the boys’ and girls’ varsity teams will have new head coaches after Justin Reese and Bryan Anderson have taken new jobs.

But Cougar athletic director Kevin Flanigan didn’t have to look far for their replacements – naming junior varsity coaches Edwin Egans and Rhea Guillory as their replacements.

Egans, Crosby’s new boys’ head coach, had been head coach of the girls’ program as recently as the spring of 2007, when he led the Lady Cougars to the Region III-4A tournament.

“I don’t think there will be a lot of change,†Flanigan said of the transition.

“They’ve got some different ideas and so forth, but they’ve been here a while, so it’s a smooth transition. When you’ve got some good ones on staff, it makes it easy.â€

Reese was 42-25 in two seasons as head boys’ coach, his first varsity head coaching job. After coming to Crosby from Richardson, where he had been an assistant coach at Class 4A Richardson Pearce, he is returning to the Richardson school district, where he will take over as head coach at Class 5A Richardson High.

“Richardson contacted me about the job,†Reese said Tuesday. “We weren’t actively looking. But it ended up being a good match. It gets me a little closer to my parents, who are in Abilene, two hours away.â€

Reese’s wife, Hollie, is a speech therapist who works for the Crosby school district. The couple have three children all under the age of 5.

“We’re going to miss Crosby,†said the coach who led the Cougar boys to district and bidistrict championships this past winter after a second-place District 19-4A finish in 2008.

“We liked it here and I’m going to miss the guys here and the kids I coached. I had a good group of kids. When the kids have success, it makes you look good.â€

Anderson was boys’ JV coach at Crosby in 2007, when he and Egans traded jobs. The Lady Cougars made the playoffs in 2008 and just missed this past season, going 31-35 the past two seasons.

Flanigan said Anderson will be taking over the Crosby golf teams, a job that has been vacant since Brett Lalor moved to an assistant principal position at Crosby Middle School.

Lee Haywood, a former Goose Creek and Crosby coach and administrator, came out of retirement to coach Crosby’s golf team on an interim basis this past school year.

Guest etbu

Crosby is not loosing much at all bc Reese had some good players and he saw the handwriting on the wall. Was not impressed with his coaching at all.

Guest etbu

Specifically, what did you not like about his coaching?

the way he used the Carter kid like when they played Dayton in the playoffs in bh two years ago. Putting him on the bench with four minutes left in the first half.  ??? Kid does not know how to utilize his talent and lets face it kids made that program NOT HIM. Barrett sends some pretty good players through Crosby and only to go what one or two deep?  ??? kid knows that the well is dry now and he is heading out which is good for Crosby.

Guest etbu

ETBU, do you know the story on the Thompson's leaving Crosby?

No not really bc do not talk to area coaches that much bc junior is done. Was he the baseball coach? If he was seem like he was doing a good job and from what I seen was impressed. Wish them the best though.

I am sure a student of the game, such as yourself, would not criticize a coach's ability based simply on the fact that he sat a player with four minutes to go in the half two years ago without even remembering the foul situation or the score.  You have analyzed the coach's ability level based on something.  Was the offense he ran?  Defense?  Here is a coach who had a very positive impact on young men's lives and you have stated Crosby is not losing much when he leaves.  I am sure you also know he taught math at the high school and was chosen as "Teacher of the Year" by his peers.  Please name another basketball coach in the area who was recently chosen as their high school's teacher of the year.  Certainly this statement is based on more than him resting a kid with 4 minutes left in the half two years ago.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami