Universal Offseason

I am curious what schools in SE Texas have it and what schools dont.  I would imagine that in most schools in this area, everyone goes through the dreaded universal offseason including straight basketball players.  I have talked some basketball coaches about this and most of their responses are the same.  Universal offseason is tailored for football and not basketball.  Basketball is a skill sport and football is more of a strength and speed sport, and so they should have different workouts.  A non basketball coach would have you believe about UO is that it "is good for all sports", but really its for football.  While it helps to lift weights and bball players should do it, its important the kids be in the gym on the regular basis.  I've been meaning to bring up this topic for a while, but just havent.  What made me think about it though, was reading the discussion on the football forum about the Orangefield job, and how kids should put down a basketball and go through the football workouts (typical football coach mentality).  This topic probably could be brought up on the football forum, but i'm sure i'd be outnumbered, so i thought i'd ask the basketball guys their opinion.  I know nostradamus and Dicky V have an opinion on this and i'd like to hear it. 

UOS is geared for fb, and can pillage the bb program. If you have the athletes you can overcome it to a certain extent but in most cases it hurts the bb program. Celina is a fb town and has uos. I dont think the  basketball team won a game.

Guest nostradamus

Glad you posted this.....this is a copy of a post I made on a basketball web site regarding how universal off-season is NOT necessary and the STATS/FACTS to back it up.

I just did a total on all of our off-season kids (which is 16 combining 9th and varsity class).  

Here is the scenario:

We started lifting on March 26th.  Today is May 21st.......so we basically lifted for 8 weeks.

We lifted two days a week for a total of 1.5 hours per week.  We spent the other 3 days in the gym working skills and scrimmaging.  

Below is a breakdown of all of our players and their gains on their MAX for each of the 3 main lifts and then the average gain on MAX for all players in that lift.

This kind of puts to bed the argument that they need to lift 3 days per week and that basketball coaches don't know how to lift their kids.  

We used the Cedar Hill program.

BENCH PRESS:

Player 1:  +15 lbs.

2:  +25 lbs.

3:  +20 lbs.

4:  +10 lbs.

5:  +25

6:  +25

7:  +10

8:  +25

9:  +10

10:  +45

11:  +10

12:  +10

13:  +20

14:  + 25

15:  +30

16:  +25

AVERAGE MAX INCREASE FOR BENCH PRESS=  20.6 lbs.

INCLINE PRESS

1:  +10

2:  +15

3:  +10

4:  +10

5:  +25

6:  +35

7:  +20

8:  +35

9:  +10

10:  +35

11:  +30

12:  +10

13:  +20

14:  +25

15:  +20

16:  +25

AVERAGE INCLINE PRESS MAX INCREASE=  20.9 lbs.

SQUATS

1:  +15

2:  +25

3:  +25

4:  +20

5:  +35

6:  +25

7:  +25

8:  +55

9:  +20

10:  +65

11:  DNP (knee injury)

12:  +55

13:  +55

14:  +20

15:  +25

16:  +55

AVERAGE SQUAT MAX INCREASE=  34.6 lbs.

Just proves you don't have to spend a lot of time in the weight room.  It is all about efficiency and intensity.....especially when skill determines the winner in our sport most of the time.

It is a proven fact that you can lift too much and actually regress.  Kids who play multiple sports all year long should really lift no more than twice a week.  Otherwise they can severely wear their body down and actually increase their chance of injury.  You find me a coach of ANY sport who wouldn't jump up and down for these types of gains.  I believe in lifting and I believe strength and conditioning is an integral part of any athletic program.  However, I believe the coach of each sport should be in charge of lifting for his/her program and decide when and how much they should lift.

Guest DickVitale

Universal Off season is a selfish football tactic to attempt to keep kids out of the gym. It should never be allowed...Only at Hardin Jefferson....THEN I would be all for it!! :D :D...Seriously, though, it really HURTS the kids as shown by Nostradamus' diagram..Football coaches should find another way to get kids on the football field in the off season AND share athletes at the same time. And we all know that the majority of football coaches are incapable of that..This is why I would rather not have football players in my program...Dont get me wrong, I will welcome them if they can play, but if I had a preference, I would say no. And our head FB coach is a great guy that wants ALL sports to flourish...Just dont want to have to wait on them to start building my basketball program...I will welcome about 3 or 4 on he varsity next season off the FB field, but I hope that number shrinks every year.

Guest stevenash

Hey Dickie, I think your school gym was one of several used this past weekend for an AAU tourney. If so, was it you who gave permission to be used? Not sure if your on the payroll yet.

COME ON DOVE, YOU KNOW VERY WELL THAT HE AUTHORIZED IT BECAUSE IT ALLOWED HIM TO EVALUATE POTENTIAL RECRUITS.

Hey Dickie, I think your school gym was one of several used this past weekend for an AAU tourney. If so, was it you who gave permission to be used? Not sure if your on the payroll yet.

COME ON DOVE, YOU KNOW VERY WELL THAT HE AUTHORIZED IT BECAUSE IT ALLOWED HIM TO EVALUATE POTENTIAL RECRUITS.

yeah, but I don't think Dickie likes AAU events. So I'm sure he didn't okay the use of the gyms ;)

Guest stevenash

yeah, but I don't think Dickie likes AAU events. So I'm sure he didn't okay the use of the gyms ;)

Dove, please be reminded that Universal Offseason is the only thing that can possibly derail the anticipated 2012-2015 State Championship(s).

Dove, please be reminded that Universal Offseason is the only thing that can possibly derail the anticipated 2012-2015 State Championship(s).

Nash, rumors are beginning to fly there may be some transfers from the 2015 class out of HF. Universal Offseason may be a part of the problem.

Guest stevenash

Nash, rumors are beginning to fly there may be some transfers from the 2015 class out of HF. Universal Offseason may be a part of the problem.

Hmmm- Wondering if they will be going to a private school in Houston?

Hmmm- Wondering if they will be going to a private school in Houston?

Interesting, I did receive a call Sunday from a private school when I was in Houston.... ;)

Guest DickVitale

Yes I did ok the use of our facility for the last three AAU tournaments here in Houston...I have been on officially since May 1...All gym inquiries come through me...Just giving back to the community.. ::) ::);)

Guest spinks

Hmmm? I wonder what the game would be like if NLH played Hardin-Jefferson?

Hmmm? I wonder what the game would be like if NLH played Hamshire-Fannett?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont

• Where were the 8 Omaha teams in D1's preseason top 25 poll... 2. Florida 8. A&M 9. Tennessee 13. N.C.State 14. Virginia 15. North Carolina Kentucky - unranked Florida State - unranked
    • That TDS is really flaring. Now do Biden. You have way, way, way more material. And keep that bitter "you are better than me" jealousy tone you have with Trump. You know Biden, the one you want everyone to vote for instead of Trump. Somehow you didn't acknowledge my pleas for you to die a painful death. I was quite certain that is how you would have interpreted my previous post. I guess when your focus is Trump 24/7, nothing else matters.
    • I have a better one. The point that nobody wants to acknowledge is that Dems are crossing over to vote Trump in the primaries and in the general so he will win the presidency. That way Trump will get the blame when the Dems implement their sinister plan to deport all of the minorities in the country. They have already laid the groundwork...convincing everyone that Trump and Republicans are racist (without providing any proof). Then it will be just a matter of time to execute their White supremacy plan of the great purge of the dirty, unwashed, heathen, non-Whites that roam freely in this country. I think my theory is more viable than your theory. Maybe we can get some other ridiculous scenarios so we can start a poll.
    • But that’s what Trump’s fanboys don’t understand.  When he talked about sexually assaulting women, y’all laughed it off as “locker room talk.”  When it was proven that he raped E. Jean Carroll, you cried that it was all an injustice… a lie. Even though he’d already confessed to doing the same thing to other women.  John McCain has suffered and sacrificed more for his country than practically anybody, except possible gold star families… and Trump called him a loser or something to that effect. “Oh, it was a joke that no one was supposed to take seriously.” But when Trump, after disrespecting the sacrifices of one of our most valiant, y’all are like “just because Trump didn’t go to Omaha Beach doesn’t mean he isn’t pro military!” Really? All you have to do is listen to what he said about McCain’s service. Not McCain as an opponent, not McCain’s political views… about the fact that the man was tortured, probably raped, and who knows what all else for over five years for swearing an oath and putting on the uniform.  But all of y’all supposedly “pro military” people just laughed along with Trump. “Good one, Sir! Maverick my new-hind! Filthy Rino!”  I don’t understand how the same people (y’all) who probably always say “thank you for your service” to any veteran still support a guy who craps on the ones who suffered the most on our behalf.  It’s baffling. 
    • Wow. Do you actually believe your little scenario has any chance of alleviating you of your moral immaturity? Deflection at it's best...or worse. You seem to be a sad case. If you died today, I would be remiss if not attributing your cause of death to severe TDS, and of course, Covid. Look at that. I just made a joke about your death. You did not get offended. Nobody was offended. Not one person will accuse me of being hateful towards fellow human beings. But yet, you hate Trump because he made a similar crude comment about McCain. You tried to attribute that comment as evidence Trump hates the military. What grade level of schoolchildren do you think is laughing at you for that "less that adolescent" (hint, hint) comment. You used one crude comment in an attempt to justify your TDS. Now, when called on it, you try to deflect the whole topic. You are certainly not having any fun with this, but you sure are providing entertainment for the board. It's a shame you can't join in on the fun. I think even Big Girl might be to the point of giggling at the shamelessness you are exhibiting.
  • Topics