Newton Coach W.T. Johnson Headed To Kirbyville

Guest EagleFan01

This is the same person. He has been at Newton many years and actually was there in '98 for the 3A state championship and in both of the appearances in the 2000's in 2A. One we lost and one we won. I've heard he has some issues with other coaches on the Newton staff and was ready for a change. Newton will struggle on defense without him and Kirbyville should get better at whatever he coaches over there. He and Alverez go back to college days in Arkansas.

This is the same person. He has been at Newton many years and actually was there in '98 for the 3A state championship and in both of the appearances in the 2000's in 2A. One we lost and one we won. I've heard he has some issues with other coaches on the Newton staff and was ready for a change. Newton will struggle on defense without him and Kirbyville should get better at whatever he coaches over there. He and Alverez go back to college days in Arkansas.

That means alot if the rumor is true.  Like the old saying goes, "It's not what you know, but who you know"....

The good news for Newton is that Barbay is not leaving. Besides, if he has been there that long then his assistants have learned alot from him and someone will step up.

The good news for Newton is that Barbay is not leaving. Besides, if he has been there that long then his assistants have learned alot from him and someone will step up.

You cannot lose that much experience and continuity in a program without a let down, no matter whom "steps up". W.T has made all the defensive calls for years. Barbay is still there, but on the offensive side of the ball. He has never been a big influence on the defensive side. Kirbyville's program just got a big boost.

i beleive he want be back.  all his kids are grown now right.  think he is positioning himself to leave the area, to tell the truth.  he has  accomplished a lot in newton.  he  had total control of the defensive  side of the ball.  he was dam good coordinator. hard to see this guy  go anywhere let alone kirbyville our  rival,but the time  and effort he put in newton makes me wish him well in all he does.  God speed dude

I believe his wife is going to remain as a Newton ISD employee. I've heard they are not selling their house or moving. W.T. left Newton one time before for a few years, then returned. I wish him well, except when K'ville plays Newton. I think Hatton is in line to call defenses, and IMO we will struggle.

Guest EagleFan01

We will be just fine here in Newton don't anyone worry about that.... If Hatton takes over calling the plays he will do just fine he has been there along time and is a very good defensive coach knows the system very well and will pick up where Johnston left off. I still think he will be back in a few seasons when Barbay retires and he will take over the program. All in all Newton will be just fine so don't you worry about that Eagle fan's.

IMO Newton will have a tough time defensively. Being there a long time and knowing the system still don't make a great coordinator. Having a feeling for when to aggresively go after offenses and getting the team in position to do that counts heavily. Keeping offenses guessing wrong as to what your defense is going to do counts heavily. I think we will be very weak in those two areas. I hope I'm wrong.

Guest EagleFan01

The boys baseball program has nothing to do with the football team at all. The head baseball coach has nothing to do with the eagle defense. Hatton will be fine if indeed he is the one who takes over play calling on the defensive side of the ball.

That means alot if the rumor is true.  Like the old saying goes, "It's not what you know, but who you know"....

another old sayin i think is running through coach johnsons head is ''if you cant beat em join em'' thats why he is coming to kville

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83