Big first inning earns Bears win over Tribe

Big first inning earns Bears win over Tribe

By Cody Pastorella

The Port Arthur News

PORT NECHES – The Port Neches-Groves Indians' Kane Benoit surrendered four runs to the Little Cypress-Mauriceville Bears in Tuesday night's District 20-4A opening 4-2 loss at the Reservation.

Three of those four runs came in the first inning, as the Bears drew two walks and then singled twice to take the 3-0 lead.

read more > 

This is the hidden content, please

Guest GSlam

This is a factual article of the LCM PNG Varsity game Tuesday night.....

Article from Beaumont Enterprise:

Thompson hits and pitches LC-M baseball to district victory

By RYAN S. CLARK

March, 17, 2009

Taylor Thompson showed the Port Neches-Groves baseball team early Tuesday he could hit. A few innings later, he showed them he could pitch.

The Little Cypress-Mauriceville senior went 2-for-3 with 2 RBI and only gave up one run in 3 1/3 innings as a relief pitcher as LC-M beat PN-G 4-2 in a District 20-4A season opening game. LC-M is 1-0 in district while PN-G is 0-1.

"First off, I just want to say our starter Dallas Brown pitched great, but Taylor he's the No. 1 improved player we've had this season," said LC-M coach Steve Griffith. "He's improved so much that's why he's moved up in the pitching rotation and in the batting lineup."

LC-M opened the game with a three-run first inning. After Stefan Leger hit an RBI single up the middle, Thompson, who started the game at designated hitter, followed with a two-run single to right field.

PN-G cut the lead to 3-1 in the bottom of the third inning with a home run from Chris Sweetenham. PN-G came back in the fourth inning to load the bases with one out and force Griffith to bring Thompson in to pitch.

Thompson got Hunter Denzlinger to ground into a fielder's choice that drove in a run and cut LC-M's lead to 3-2. He got the final out of the inning by getting Amir Jalali to ground out.

LC-M quickly padded its lead in the fifth inning when Tim Barry led off with a stand-up triple to center field and later scored for a 4-2 lead off a Wade Estes sac fly.

That was all Thompson needed as gave up one hit while striking out four batters in the rest of his stint.

His last strikeout was a memorable one as PN-G had a runner on first with one out.

After Thompson struck out PN-G's Kane Benoit, Leger, a catcher, made a heads-up play by throwing out Blake Reynolds at first base and ending the game.

"What happened was (Reynolds) thought the strikeout pitch was ball four and we were able to get him," Thompson said. "Really, when I was out there I really did not try to think. I just used pure adrenaline and it worked out."

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83