what rule would u liked changed in high school football

skipper

Go back to rewarding the 2 best teams in each district even if it means creating a new 6A classification.Do not reward a 3rd and 4th place team in each district with a free playoff pass.A big thank you UIL should be coming from Sulphur Springs(3rd.place team)in the former system they would be playing basketball in November.

Some would argue Sulphur Springs is an example of why the current system is better..

[/quote  There the prime example of why its better. There are lots of teams playing in brutally tuff districts that place 3rd in there district but would be district champs in others.Once in the playoffs they can prove they belong.The playoff system is great and works well. The stronger teams advance and the weaker get sent home after a week or two.

I like it the way it is now. Even if you finish 3rd or 4th, you still get to taste the playoffs and we all know how Texas towns come together when their team is in the playoffs.  Most of the 3rd and 4th place teams will lose in the first week or two of the playoffs but the ones that survive really deserve to be there.

I think something should be done about the re-districting every 2 years. Or, if you keep it the same and one team has a legitamate case about being in the wrong district, there should be an over-riding party that can make a decision on it.

Prime example was Dayton being put in the "beaumont" district. I enjoyed seeing the Bronco's play those teams but alot of "tax dollars" were spent because of the long drive to beaumont or for teams like lumberton to come to dayton. Also, after some basketball games on a school night, kids were getting home after midnight. That should be handled.

Guest rykerx144

I agree, It not only gives teams that have no chance to do anything to still make the playoffs and it also allows the better teams that finish first and second to have a few rounds to experience the playoffs and get some more play in before getting to the true playoff games so what does it hurt. Most of the teams that finish third have no hopes of getting past the first round but get to experience the playoffs and last I heard we do this for them right?? Isnt it still all about the kids??

Well let's throw in 4 state championships-North Zone-South Zone-East Zone-West Zone-Put 4 teams from ea.dist in it.This system takes away from the previous winners their pride of being the best of the best.A sad day for former alumni that earned their spot in history as the UIL has Tarnished their trophies and rings in my opinion.

I think something should be done about the re-districting every 2 years. Or, if you keep it the same and one team has a legitamate case about being in the wrong district, there should be an over-riding party that can make a decision on it.

Prime example was Dayton being put in the "beaumont" district. I enjoyed seeing the Bronco's play those teams but alot of "tax dollars" were spent because of the long drive to beaumont or for teams like lumberton to come to dayton. Also, after some basketball games on a school night, kids were getting home after midnight. That should be handled.

Be thankful that you don't live in West Texas....

This system says to me:Let's just play good enough to win 4th place in district,we can play alot of underclassmen and JV players and let them get lots of playing time,rest our starters for the playoff's so we will be healthy w/lots of depth.We can sneak in as the underdog as they do not have any real game film with our starters so we will have a advantage.

Example:Former WOS player(alumni) shows off back to back gold rings-Say for 2 undefeated seasons and two state titles- A player in this new system says we were 3-7 in district and won the state title,see my ring?The former 2 time undefeated state champ say's BIG DEAL-That's CHUMP DUDE-THIS WAS ONLY USED AS A EXAMPLE NO DISRESPECT AT ALL FOR WOS.

Guest rykerx144

If there was anything I could change about Texas high school football it would have to be the way they select the Allstate team.  The process the AP uses is as useless as it is inaccurate.  Didn't the BCS remove the AP poll from their process because of how inaccurate it is.  To have the BCS, which is the nations most controversial process to say we are eliminating the AP because it is innaccurate says alot.  I have tried to look into the process that the AP uses and found that because of the way they do the process there is no way to find out who votes or what the actual vote talley is.  The best I could come up with is that coaches and local AP members are allowed to nominate players to the AP Sports editors and they establish a ballot of the names nominated.  Then they send out the ballots to only newspapers that are members of the AP.  They are the only ones allowed to vote on the players.  The number of votes the newspaper gets depends on size of the customer base of the paper.  For example the Houston Chron and the Dallas paper might get three or four votes when papers like the Beaumont enterprise might only get one vote.  Once the papers cast their votes the votes are sent to a few employees of the AP and they talley the votes and that is what determines the Allstate team.  The players that are nominated nor the results of the votes are ever made accessible to anyone except them few employees.  What ever happend to checks and balances.  How would you have felt if last month after you voted the results was never posted and on election night CNN came out and announced Obama has won president but were not telling you by how much just trust us he won.  Would that have been acceptable NO and neither should this process!!!

This system says to me:Let's just play good enough to win 4th place in district,we can play alot of underclassmen and JV players and let them get lots of playing time,rest our starters for the playoff's so we will be healthy w/lots of depth.We can sneak in as the underdog as they do not have any real game film with our starters so we will have a advantage.

I agree...  But lets make sure that schools with 1900 kids aren't grouped with schools that have 1100...  ie: 13-4a

What does that mean Wildcat.There is some smaller 3A schools that can beat some large 4A schools.It has always been big against little in enrollment in the past.The great teams from WOS never had alot to pick from but won many titles along the way.I can see the future of schools going to Consolidation with 2 schools only miles apart.

I dont believe this is whats happening.

A sad day for former alumni that earned their spot in history as the UIL has Tarnished their trophies and rings in my opinion.

Yeah, I am sure that Sulpher Springs players feel tarnished right now. Heck, next week they may even return their trophy to the UIL.

What does that mean Wildcat.There is some smaller 3A schools that can beat some large 4A schools.It has always been big against little in enrollment in the past.The great teams from WOS never had alot to pick from but won many titles along the way.I can see the future of schools going to Consolidation with 2 schools only miles apart.

You're right...  If something has always been screwed up, we should leave it that way.  ::)

Do you really think any coach would do that? The starters wouldn't have any reps in a game situation.

Allowing more team in the playoffs gives all district teams something to play for. If you know your out, kids will not play with the same intensity. When that happens, games at the end of the season may have a differnt out come and possibly affecting the district champion. 20-4A has had more co-champs than out right winners in the last 10 years. I think that is because 4 or 5 teams are playing for something.

i think you should reward the teams that had a good season with the playoffs, not a mediocre season...when u allow 4 teams to go and teams show up w/ losing records thats ridiculous...3 i can see an argument for, but the problem is if you make it universal most districts dont really have 3 playoff worthy teams...the way we are doing it now is "ok" to me, because by the 3rd round of the playoffs the teams that shouldnt be there are weeded out, but the problem is teams are awarded for mediocrity in the new system...if we are teaching kids about life w/ football then they shouldnt be awarded for mediocrity however if we are just using it as a platform to have fun and learn to play w/n a team environment then 4 teams are fine, the more games you play the more fun u have and the more team experience you get....obviously the UIL has decided its the later (plus they like the extra revenue but im leaving that outa this) and i can live w/ that, but my personal preference would to go back to putting 2 teams in, maybe even just one...

Guest rykerx144

come on?? do you really think a one team playoff would benefit anyone?  I agree I like the three team setup because it gives small schools in the district something to shot for.  I think there is no fair way to divide the teams into districts evenly without greating a huge number of districts and only having a few teams in each district.  I think they have created a pretty good system of grouping the teams into districts based on enrollment numbers and distance.  They came up with the three team advancing to offset the difference in enrollement numbers.  What is wrong with a team that has half the enrollment numbers of most of the teams in their district making the playoffs?  Like it was said earlier they are usually weeded out the first round anyway?  The UIL makes more revenue off the extra games, the school districts make more money, the kids get to play more football, and we get to watch more football!  I dont see any down side to this setup?  The only person or team I could see that dont benefit from this is the teams that are usually the dominate team in a region and just want to hurry up and get to the final rounds or have coaches that are worried about playing the extra game and getting someone hurt that they might need later.  If I am describing you then I have a message for you,,, who cares?  That is not what texas high school football is about. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83