Post Ike Football in Southeast Texas

Much has been said about High Island and Sabine Pass coming back from Ike to make a go of it after Hurricane Ike, but I would like to expand the scope of the post Ike football and volleyball to every team that had to stop and start (Remember Gustav) and stop and restart this season again after Ike.

I believe that school officials and coaches all across SETX did a great job keeping athletes from football and volleyball focused and refocused on the task at hand. With or without the hurricane some teams would make the playoffs others would not. But I believe that the attitudes shown by the teams most heavily impacted and the good will shown by those who were not hit as hard is something the area should be very proud of.

I wish success to all the teams still in the playoffs, I personally hope that at least a couple of state titles come this way by the end of the season. May many deserving athletes get a shot at moving up to the next level and that those who received injuries during the course of the season that they recover quickly and can continue to pursue competitive athletics in the future.

I do think that again HI, SP and Bridge City are to be congratulated for rising above the situation to carry on. I also know that several high schools did some great things to assist these school and people from the hardest hit areas. Schools like Colmesneil, Chester, Vidor, PNG, Nederland and Evadale. I know there were others and I hope some of you post things that other schools did to respond to the needs that are still evident in so many areas.

I think this is a great place to live and the attitudes of caring for one another are the best. Please continue to seek out ways that assistance can still be given and know this. We wear different colors to games with different mascots on our hats, but we are Southeast Texas and we take care of our own!   

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    siya
    Newest Member
    siya