Trojans ready for WO-S test

KFDM COOP

Trojans ready for WO-S test

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

COLDSPRING — The Coldspring Trojans aren’t big on watching repeats.

They will try to produce a new show today when the Trojans (6-3) take on the third-ranked West Orange-Stark Mustangs (8-0) in the Class 3A Region III Division II bidistrict playoffs at 6 p.m. at Deer Park’s Clyde Abshire Stadium.

WO-S walked away with a 51-14 victory in the same round last year. It was just a 12-7 Mustang lead at the half in that one before Coldspring had a tough third quarter to say the least.

“Our kids went out there and got after it in the first half and felt really comfortable heading into the second half, probably too comfortable,†said Coldspring head coach Bryan Barbay. “We went out and put the ball on the ground three out of the next four times we touched it. You can’t expect anything good to happen after that against a program like West Orange-Stark. When the Mustangs get an opening, they go for the kill and they did.â€

The Mustangs will certainly face a bigger, stronger and much-improved Trojans squad this time out after Coldspring got their feet wet in the playoffs last year.

“We were a very young team last year and it showed a lot because we weren’t that strong,†said Barbay. “This year, we had a tremendous offseason program. The kids are so much physically stronger across the board then they were at this point last season.â€

The Trojans have put up some nice offensive numbers this season led by the likes of two-year starting junior quarterback Chad Allen, rough-and-tumble back James Scott and 100-meter 22-3A champion Andrew Leigh at tailback.

“Chad has matured a great deal as a junior,†said Barbay. “He got so much valuable experience last year, put it to good use in the offseason. He got stronger and faster and he’s been able to run the ball well this year. His arm isn’t bad either. James (Scott) can be a load to bring down and Andrew (Leigh) is definitely our ‘speed guy.’ The key for us has been the play of our offensive line. They’ve fired off the ball well for us all year and we’re going to definitely need that Saturday night.â€

Barbay is certainly aware of the potent WO-S defense, one that has allowed just 107.8 yards a game and just 41 points for the season.

“It’s a typical West Orange-Stark defense, which means Coach Cornel Thompson is still there,†joked Barbay. “Every year, that defense is tenacious. They never have that much size but you can’t never let that fool you. They will wear you out. They fly around like it’s nobody’s business. It always seems like there is way more than 11 of them out there. We’re just going to have to be patient, take what we can get when we have the opportunity and don’t turn the darn football over.â€

Barbay is just as impressed with the WO-S offense.

“With them, you have to be ready for anything,†Barbay said. “You have to watch for those double-pass trick plays and the reverses. They have skill people, that once they get in front of you, you’re not going to catch them.â€

Barbay is very impressed with one Mustang.

“They have excellent backs and super receivers but the one that makes them go is their quarterback (Ortavious) Hypolite,†said Barbay. “The kids was darn good last year but looks even better this year. When you see him on film he always looks so calm, cool and collected. He’s the leader of an excellent team. You can tell their kids feed off of him.â€

Barbay likes the confidence of the Trojans heading into the big game.

“Our kids are looking forward to it,†said Barbay. “We’ve been in every game we’ve played this year and the kids feel they can compete with anybody. The kids know who they’re playing and they like the challenge that’s in front of them. I think it’s going to be an excellent football game.â€

i can see now that the coaching staff of coldsprings have spent alot of time in the film room.this shows me he is so much like his dad and that is what makes him a good coach.so now i see the coaches have been watching the mustangs QB hummmmmmmmmmmm that part i like this will open other things the mustang OC can put in now to there game plan. as its been told me a few weeks back you just (CANT KEY) on just one kid or they will eat your lunch

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont