Cardenas, Forney back with Bulldogs

KFDM COOP

Cardenas, Forney back with Bulldogs

BULLDOG PLAYOFF BITES

By Tom Halliburton

The Port Arthur News

NEDERLAND -- At least Nederland's football problems have to do with this week's opponent, rather than the Bulldogs themselves for now.

Head coach Larry Neumann announced Monday afternoon that he had re-instated senior receiver-defensive back Asa Cardenas and sophomore defensive end Dionte Forney into the program after a one-game suspension had prevented their participation from Friday's regular-season finale against Lumberton.

The two starters missed practice with unexcused absences a week ago today in order to attend the NBA basketball game between Boston and Houston at the Toyota Center. Team policies require such a violation to constitute a one-game suspension.

The problems completely were put to rest Monday after Neumann visited with each player.

"I'm totally confident that the young men not only recognized the error in their judgment, but they have operated in a way that was very mature and what a man does. Nobody's perfect. Nothing's lingering here. It's now behind us... I believe them to be committed in their preparations for C.E. King," Neumann said.....

Without a doubt, the Nederland bidistrict opponent in the Class 4A Division I state football bracket will require Nederland (4-4 and 4-3) to be at full strength for Friday night's matchup in Dayton's renovated Bronco Stadium at 7:30 p.m.

C.E. King (7-2, 6-1) will wear the blue jersey and will serve as the home team. Nederland will wear the white road jersey and will serve as the visiting team. The winner will advance into next week's 4A Division I area playoff round against the winner of the bidistrict game between Magnolia and Buda Hays.

In addition to losing against Lumberton, Nederland lost two coin tosses with C.E. King in the post-game meeting to make bidistrict playoff arrangements. The first coin toss determined whether the game would be played at a home-and-home site or a neutral site. C.E. King favored a neutral site and won the toss. The second toss determined the identity of the home team. The Panthers of coach Mike Malkowski also won that one.

Advance ticket sales for Nederland fans will begin this morning at the NHS main ticket office from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Those sales will continue during the same time frames on Wednesday and Thursday and will culminate with final sales on Friday from 8 a.m. to noon.

All tickets at the Bronco Stadium gates will cost $6. The tickets can be purchased at Nederland High School during the week at $5 for adults and $3 for students.

A Nederland city-wide pep rally will be held on Thursday night in the Dogdome at 6 p.m. The pep rally will be indoors due to the threat of rain. The Nederland afternoon football workouts will be held on the next two days in Bulldog Stadium.....

Some of the more encouraging aspects of Nederland's 28-14 loss to Lumberton included the fact that the Bulldogs basically avoided any significant injuries. They also received some high grades led by offensive lineman Ben Jones and receiver Ryan Brady's 84s. Defensive tackle Marcus Louvier played arguably his best game to date at 83 along with fellow defensive linemen Tommy Gillespie (82) and Anthony Maddox (80).... Wareall Grogan had an 81 at running back....

Senior linebacker Jordan Landry headed the tackle chart with 7 tackles and 2 assists, followed by Michael Roebuck (6 and 3) and Adrian Pina (7 and 0).... Landry leads all tackle leaders during the regular season on Nederland's defense with 52 and 30. The next closest tackle leaders are Pina (43 and 20) and linebacker Grant Lovelady (40 and 16).

Before Neumann and his staff issued their Monday scouting report on C.E. King to the Bulldogs' players, the Nederland coaches wrapped up their study of the Lumberton game and here's what the Bulldogs' boss had to say:

"Generally speaking, we were overpowered in every sense of the word. We didn't play our best game offensively by far but I'm sure Lumberton's outstanding defense deserved a lot of credit for that.... It wasn't as well as we've been playing on offense.... I thought some of our players produced some of their better games on defense, but as we covered during last week, Lumberton has another very good team this year."....

C.E. King's only 19-4A district loss came against Dayton (46-7) on Oct. 31 at C.E. King's Crenshaw Memorial Stadium. The Panthers defeated Crosby 39-24 in Crosby. The Crosby game -- observed by Nederland scouts -- was originally scheduled for a Sept. 19 district opener but was shuffled to the season finale because of Hurricane Ike.

The ninth-year head coach of the Panthers, Malkowski has competed against Nederland and Neumann in one previous 4A bidistrict playoff affair. Nederland captured a 34-16 victory in Pasadena's Memorial Stadium after the 2005 regular season....

Guest Brubaker

Asa served me a hot chocolate as he cheered on his team as they took the field for the second half friday.  Glad to see he handled his mistake with class.  He's still a young man and has a lot of growing up to do, but it appears he is willing to admit he made a mistake, hope he plays well Friday!

Guest Brubaker

I think people are trying to draw comparisons between districts which is a mistake.  PNG beat Crosby, enough said.  Nederland won't be trying to stop Livingston, Central, or Lumberton's running game, they'll be trying to stop CE King's.  No offense but that district doesn't play the football this one does, so I agree Jake, Nederland has the advantage.

I think people are trying to draw comparisons between districts which is a mistake.  PNG beat Crosby, enough said.  Nederland won't be trying to stop Livingston, Central, or Lumberton's running game, they'll be trying to stop CE King's.  No offense but that district doesn't play the football this one does, so I agree Jake, Nederland has the advantage.

i don't think that tells the whole tale either. Crosby's sophomore QB has grown up a lot since that game.

I do agree with the rest though.

i don't think that tells the whole tale either. Crosby's sophomore QB has grown up a lot since that game.

I do agree with the rest though.

PN-G beating Crosby has nothing to do with anything in my opinion. Lumberton was probably the most consistent team in our district and their loss came to a team that did not even make the playoffs and it was a 27-12 game. Lumberton smoked a very good Livingston team as well. It just goes to show that looking at one game is not nearly enough of a sample size to form a real opinion.

There again you cannot judge a team by pre-district losses.How many teams won super bowls having a perfect undefeated season?This UIL throwing 4 & 5 dist.losses teams in the playoff's is Wrong,Wrong,Wrong.It is about EARNING A SPOT to be there.This could throw HS football players in to injuries from playing in cold,bad weather in December,as most play in outdoor stadiums,not dome or covered stadiums.

Guest Brubaker

Followed some of that, but you have to play in December to win it all, unless you're just going to drop out on 11/30.  Whether there's 2 teams that make it or 4??

There again you cannot judge a team by pre-district losses.How many teams won super bowls having a perfect undefeated season?This UIL throwing 4 & 5 dist.losses teams in the playoff's is Wrong,Wrong,Wrong.It is about EARNING A SPOT to be there.This could throw HS football players in to injuries from playing in cold,bad weather in December,as most play in outdoor stadiums,not dome or covered stadiums.

I'm not arguing for the watered down playoffs but to suggest that the length of the season, cold weather or injuries has anything negative to do with 4 teams in the playoffs is ridiculous.

It is my opinion,I say this as My brother has had 4 knee surgeries in the last 10 years from a weather related hs football injury @ Dayton.I am sure there have been others.HS games play in inclement conditions quite often.Extending the season by adding more teams-now that is Ridiculos.High school players do not sit out games for a pinky finger injury.Look at the young man from Lumberton-he played w/a brace on a damaged knee in a game his team could win without him,and now will miss playing in these playoff's,and probably another sport this year.These boy's play for pride @ heart and will not whine and cry baby like men who get paid well to play.You know it & so does everybody else.

Guest Brubaker

Let's say this slower.... if... there... were...only... two .... teams... in... from... every.... district.... you'd.... still... need... to ... win... in... December.  Like TVC said, has nothing to do with 4 teams in the playoffs, unless you were always the big school and then you'd still be playing in December.  Can't follow the logic.  Maybe more teams are exposed to injury?  I'd say those teams would take the risk with the reward being a playoff spot.  There are too many teams, but try a better arguement.

Was it the same 9 years ago when Nederland and PNG and others went to the play offs?  Were there 4 teams from each district?  Because I remember then (1999) that PNG played for the championship the week before Christmas.  I was just wondering if everything was the same then as it is now.  That was the funnest year of HS football tailgating in the morning and watching HS football all day and cheering on everyone who played before us.

When there were three teams in the playoffs, the small school division went the same number of games as both division now in the 4 team system. If you cut it to a 2 team per district playoff with a single state champion, it will still be the same number of games as a 4 team with two divisions.

If we want to argue watered down playoffs then go for it but it is really reaching to say that there shouldn't be more teams as it will increase the chance of playing in bad weather or that it will risk injuries. If we are that worried about injuries, why not cut out the two scrimmages? Why not drop one of the non-district games? Why not just put dresses on them and not even play football?

When there were three teams in the playoffs, the small school division went the same number of games as both division now in the 4 team system. If you cut it to a 2 team per district playoff with a single state champion, it will still be the same number of games as a 4 team with two divisions.

If we want to argue watered down playoffs then go for it but it is really reaching to say that there shouldn't be more teams as it will increase the chance of playing in bad weather or that it will risk injuries. If we are that worried about injuries, why not cut out the two scrimmages? Why not drop one of the non-district games? Why not just put dresses on them and not even play football?

:D :D :D :D

h i l a r i o u s

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83