Lamar football catches another verbal commitment

Guest coachacola

Guest coachacola

By CHRISTOPHER DABE

Nederland wide receiver Asa Cardenas verbally committed this week to play football at Lamar University, where he might catch passes from a Mid-County rival when the school plays its first intercollegiate games in 2010.

Cardenas is the second Southeast Texas football player to commit to Lamar. The first was Harrison Tatum, a senior quarterback from Nederland's main rival school, Port Neches-Groves.

"I think it's kind of funny, but that's just how the coaches picked them," Cardenas said. "I guess they liked what they had seen in the quarterback from Port Neches and me at Nederland."

Cardenas was a first-team all-District 22-4A wide receiver last season. This season, Cardenas has 14 catches for 288 yards and four touchdowns while playing in a spread offense he said is similar to what Lamar will run.

Cardenas accepted a scholarship offer from the school Tuesday night, and no other school made an offer, he said. Cardenas said attending Lamar will allow his grandmother, Wanda McCowan, to attend all his games.

"She's never missed one in any sport," said Cardenas, also a Nederland track athlete.

Cardenas cannot sign a letter of intent to play at the school until Feb. 4.

Link: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/lamar_football_catches_another_verbal_commitment_10-22-2008.html

Guest abovetherim

I've heard the RB from Lumberton last season will be returning to Beaumont to attend and play football at Lamar. Can't remember his name at the present time. I think it is Hussey???

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder