Rangers and Angels last night

Guest emonarch777

Rangers Upset With Padilla

Make sure you catch the quote by Angels manager Mike Scioscia where he says beanballs wouldn't be part of any retaliation.

ARLINGTON -- The Rangers have been in communication with the Commissioner's Office and are preparing for a suspension for pitcher Vicente Padilla after being ejected from Tuesday's game against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

A decision from MLB vice president Bob Watson is expected in the next day or two. The Rangers aren't happy about the situation and almost all of their displeasure is being directed at Padilla.

"I was disappointed with how things unfolded," general manager Jon Daniels said. "We've got a lot on the line here. Our guys have put themselves in a position to contend and for something to get in the way of that is disappointing."

The situation started unfolding Tuesday when Padilla hit Vladimir Guerrero with a pitch in the third inning. One inning later, he faced Guerrero again and came high and inside with a pitch that drew a warning from home-plate umpire Hunter Wendelstedt.

Guerrero then hit a three-run home run. Padilla got Garret Anderson to line out but then hit Juan Rivera with a pitch and was ejected along with manager Buck Showalter.

Showalter, who expects a one-game suspension for himself over the incident, met with Padilla before Wednesday's game and made it clear that he was not happy with what happened.

"Believe me, we're not casting anything lightly," Showalter said. "Our conversation was pointed. One thing is we needed him out there pitching.

"Obviously, everybody from the Angels to the Yankees, everybody has to pitch inside. That's part of his success, but sometimes you can go over the edge."

Padilla does not talk to the media, but his teammates weren't happy with him either. Catcher Rod Barajas said he had no idea what Padilla was doing.

"I don't know; that's my honest-to-God answer," Barajas said. "There was nothing that was talked about beforehand. I know you guys can't do this, but you have to go ask him.

"I'm disappointed because I know there will be repercussions. You would hope people would think what the consequences are before they put their team in jeopardy, especially at this time of year. We're fighting for our life and now we won't be at full strength."

Showalter talked to Angels manager Mike Scioscia before Wednesday's game about the situation. But the Angels were still upset about the second incident between two teams in less than two weeks. Adam Eaton was ejected from the last game in Anaheim for throwing behind Anderson.

Asked about his players, Scioscia said, "They're disturbed as we're disturbed. But we're going to play baseball. I don't know what message was trying to be conveyed, but it's something that there's no need for."

Asked about retaliation, Scioscia said, "Retaliation with a baseball is not part of our package. There are other ways to express things. But our resolve is firm that we are not about beanballs."

Guest emonarch777

here are the suspensions from this game:

• Angels pitcher Brendan Donnelly has been suspended for four games for intentionally throwing at a batter after warnings had been issued earlier in Wednesday's game;

• Rangers pitcher Scott Feldman has been suspended for six games for intentionally throwing at a batter after warnings had been issued earlier in Wednesday's game and fighting;

• Angels pitcher Kevin Gregg has been suspended for four games for intentionally throwing at a batter after receiving a warning for throwing at a batter earlier in the same inning of Wednesday's game;

• Angels second baseman Adam Kennedy has been suspended for four games for charging the mound and fighting in Wednesday's game;

• Rangers pitcher Vicente Padilla has been suspended for five games for intentionally throwing at a batter after receiving a warning for throwing at a batter earlier in the same inning of Tuesday's game;

• Angels bench coach Ron Roenicke has been suspended for one game for the intentional actions of Donnelly after warnings had been issued while Roenicke was acting as manager of the club on Wednesday;

• Angels manager Mike Scioscia has been suspended for three games for the inappropriate actions of his club during the series;

• Rangers manager Buck Showalter has been suspended for four games for the inappropriate actions of his club during the series;

• and Angels pitcher John Lackey and Angels outfielder Juan Rivera received undisclosed fines for their actions during Wednesday's on-field altercation.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami