Possible Name Change for LU?

Guest Techsan

Guest Techsan

Hey guys I was at a political fundraiser in Dallas last night and met a member of LU's Administration and he was telling me that the "Powers That Be" are considering renaming Lamar, Southeast Texas State University to make it more marketable and to attract more kids from other regions of the state. Has anyone heard anything like this, thoughts, opinions?

Guest Techsan

It wouldnt hurt my feelings a bit if they changed it. For those of you who are historians, you know that Mirabeau Lamar wasnt exactly a warm and fuzzy character, He went down in history as Sam Houston's archrival, while he may have been the Father of Texas Education he certainly didnt do the Republic too many favors while he was in office.

They must think about former graduates. Those ppl want to support the LU, not Southeast Texas ST. I could accept Lamar Beaumont University or Lamar Southeast Texas...nahhh, too cumbersome. Leave the name alone. We could have success without a dumb name change, hence McNeese, Gonzaga, Creighton, Rice, etc etc.

Guest Kelly Football
I think it gives more recognition than just Lamar' date=' yeah we all know about Lamar, but when it comes to sports a lot of people hear Lamar and are like "Huh?", Southeast Texas State at least then they do where we are.[/quote'] Very True. I like that name better myself. Is this in the works?

The name has changed from Lamar Tech to Lamar University. I perfer the current name but would support a name change if it better suited the needs of the university and would have a financial impact.

I do not like the name Southeast Texas State University. I think the University of Southeast Texas sounds much better and they could use the initals UST if needed. Just my opinion.

Guest Techsan

I know that there are some potential names to replace LU being kicked around, but at this point its merely being talked about among the schools higher ups, they have not decided that they are definitely changing the name, just considering it at this point.

I dont see how the name benefits the school. Everyone in this area knows where LU is located. And I doubt putting the location in the school name will attract students. Southwest Texas state, USL, Southwest LA moved away from those directional names, LU shouldn't go backwards. Dr Simmons is doing great things at LU, research center as an example, I hope he doesn't follow it with a stupid move. Keep it Lamar University.

SWT changed to Texas State, i suppose to give it broader appeal, and grander status. I believe in a decade or so, this decision will begin to pay dividends. USL name was mandated by the Louisiana legislature, it is not something they chose to do. Some people in Louisiana will tell you it was politically motivated. Yeah, everyone in this area knows where Lamar is. The point is to give the university a broader appeal and recognition, which apparently people involved with the university, believe will benefit the university. I am not sure the TSU board would approve the move, since you have two other institutions named after state leaders in SFA and SH, but if allowed, it would help.

Guest Techsan

This fellow also mentioned TSU- Beaumont as a plausible candidate for the name change, but said that it was gaining much traction with the decision makers. For some reason directional names have alwyas been frowned upon in the media, but personally I like it, just FYI some other names that were mentioned; Southeastern Texas Univ, TSU- Beaumont, and Southeastern State Univ. The front runner is said to be Southeast Texas State Univ. But as I mentioned earlier this merely in a consideration phase, the Board of Regents have not officially began to consider or investigate possible name changes, but feelers are out there for possible names and marketability.

TSU-Beaumont. This a bad idea. Lamar has a name distinct from anyone in the country. Southeast Texas st, now we are linked to Southeast LA.

Good grief you dont see Deke changing its distinct name for a direction. Going from TSU-Beaumont to LU is a step up, vice-versa is a generic name step down.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    newyourk01
    Newest Member
    newyourk01