Rule sidelines, steams UIL coaches

Rule sidelines, steams UIL coaches

By Jerry Michalsky

Contributor

Published July 23, 2008

Walking into the Lee College arena Tuesday night to watch some basketball there was one thing missing on both benches.

With two teams from Barbers Hill matched up in a battle with one another there were no coaches on either bench.

Because of the UIL rule for summer sporting activities, high school coaches are not allowed to coach their players from the sidelines, stands, or even for that matter by cell phone.

The only thing coaches are allowed to do in the summer time is monitor the kids in the weight room from Monday through Thursday and the kids are also allowed to do some running in front of the coaches.

But keep in mind the UIL is watching this also by only allowing only a certain amount of time per week.

Although he follows the UIL rule to a T, Barbers Hill head basketball coach Nathan Toon thinks there could be stipulations put into place.

“Why not give us a couple of weeks in the summer or let us coach our kids at a couple of summer tournaments?â€he asked.

“If we just put something into place to where we could give the kids some type of instruction, then I think the summer time would be more beneficial to all of us. I also feel the kids would be more committed to playing in the summer time and to also work harder to fine tune their game.â€

Of course, some coaches might be tempted to go over the line. But Toon doesn’t think so.

“I do not think there would be an advantage gained either way as we (coaches), worked together to make sure we were not trying to take advantage of the situation,†Toon said.

“Lets just set a certain amount of days or weeks to give some coaching so we could better the level of plays for the kids. Football is allowed to have two-a-days during the summer in August so why not give the other sports some time also?â€

With no coaches on either sideline for Toon’s kids, he could only sit and watch as his players went against each other. Even if there was a coach there, Toon would not be allowed to give the coach any type of instruction of what type of offense to run or who he wanted in the game.

“I guess the UIL feels that if we were given some time, there would be coaches that would try and take advantage.â€

Sterling freshman guard Isaiah Stevenson says he is happy either way to get the chance to play summer ball.

“I feel us playing in the summer gives us a chance to gain a bond with one another,†he said.

“Summer does help us because we seem to be able to get stronger and plus we are learning more about another.â€

Lee College head basketball coach Roy Champagne agrees things could be better.

“There is more activity than productivity going on in the summer time,†he said.

Head baseball coach Brian Williams of Houston Austin was coaching the Sterling squad in the final game of the night.

So why was Williams allowed to coach?

Because Sterling is not in the same school district as Austin and Williams has no advantage to give the Sterling team, he is allowed to use his own time and help the Rangers improve.

“I am just trying to help these kids get better,†said Williams. “Anything I can do to help coach Patton’s kids get better, then I am all for that. “

Maybe one day something will be put into place allowing coaches some extra time to spend during the summer time. But for now coaches Toon and Patton can only sit and watch and wait for basketball season to roll around.

I am not a big fan of the rule either...so if kids are playing summer ball and doing things wrong, coaches cannot correct or instruct them, so they develop bad habits and their overall game suffers...seems like some compromise could be reached.

I wouldn't have a problem with allowing a little coaching either.  But, this guy was not correct in saying that football gets to do it.  Football's first game is usually the first week of school so football usually starts 2 weeks before. 

We football coaches would love some time with our kids in the summer as well. A few days in June or July would really help us out. i don't see the problem with allowing all sports a little while.

But, this guy was not correct in saying that football gets to do it.  Football's first game is usually the first week of school so football usually starts 2 weeks before. 

You just said two different things in the same sentence.  You said football doesn't get to do it THEN you turn around in the next sentence and say football's first game is the first week of school but starts 2 weeks before.

Well, those two weeks are in the summer if they are before school starts.  A lot of basketball coach get their kids on Monday after the last football game on Friday or Saturday.  They don't get that two weeks.  If their football team doesn't make the playoffs then they get one week not two.

But don't say football doesn't get to have football practice during the summer because that is not correct.

Yeah it really didn't come out right.  We as football coaches would love to have our kids for a few days earlier in the summer as well outside of the 2 weeks immediately before we play a game.

Many basketball coaches get their kids during the period from August until basketball season starts, so why would they need the summer? 

With school now starting August 25 state wide, doesn't fb (as well as volleyball) get 3 weeks of practice before school starts(i.e. durimg the Summer)? You combine that with the last 6 weeks of school most fb coaches get for "Spring fb", & that is quite a bit of practice outside of their season. Granted, most of it is used very wisely & they need some extra time.

What I would like to see the UIL do is modify their rule & give the bb coaches 12 days in the Summer to coach. These days would have to be used by July 15th(so as not to intefere with upcoming volleyball & fb practices + give the kids & their families some time off), & you could only coach during a Summer League game or tournament or Team Camp...not to exceed 12 days & or nights. Absolutely no practicing in the Summer, just coach them during the games.

i think that would be great. One point though, spring football is only allowed at the 3A level and up and it is only during the athletic period.  They aren't practicing football after school during the spring.  Basketball coaches can practice basketball during the period from the first day of school so they can realistically get 10-12 weeks practice before their first game.  Now before I'm attacked by the basketball Gods I realize that at small schools the basketball coach is probably coaching football and most of the players are playing football. 

I love basketball just as much as I love football and baseball.  I think that each sport compliments the other and that true athletes should play em all.  But I don't think that basketball gets shorted on time any more than football or baseball.  The baseball coach would love to have his players earlier but usually can't because basketball isn't over, or he may even be an assistant coach in basketball. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder