A big thanks to a lot of people from some ole folks that follow softball!

I just wanted to thank a host of folks that stepped in to keep this thing afloat.

When the grit-aggregate did not get delivered and worked in prior to the start of the Tourney by the Bmt. Maintaince Dept.; there was only one thing that could happen; the place turned into sand lot softball.  No amount of prep can bring the playing levels up to the correct plane-level: equal to the  rubber and the plate if there is no materials to work with!

Some of us stepped in and brought water etc: to some tired Umps, especially on Sunday.....  Folks, we came close to having some Umps collapse with heat strokes on Sunday.  Some that were so great at game calling on Friday and Saturday were making bad calls as they staggered under the extreme heat on Sunday.

I agree the US OPEN will never be in Beaumont again.  It was snake bit by combative forces from the beginning.  I hoped and had envisioned a number of OPENS and other efforts across our two-county area but I don't see enough cooperation by the "city" at the complex and I don't see any reasonable cooperation at Ford Park of the Bureaucratic Management to attempt anything of the magnitude of events to warrant anyone-- be it NAFA, ASA, JUCO, or Local or Imported folks to get enough cooperation to have Nationals level events again in this area.

As just one of many fans who tried to help keep this afloat I did enjoy seeing a lot of youth playing ball once again that I have watched for nearly a decade: against athletic girls coming in to Beaumont to play.

As for Mr. Linney, I did not know him prior to this thing being announced.  He tried his best but he lost his shirt money-wise on this attempt to have an event in Beaumont.  And yes all of you posting are right, paying on the honor system was a very stupid move in our modern society. <;)(({{><    I payed for my ticket, did you pay for yours?  LOL

Best of luck to all the Coaches and girls that participated in this event no one got hurt so it wasn't all bad.  It was done for each of you to have a good outing where out local Uth that do not travel everywhere could have a little different softball experience.

I watched a little very young little Herricane team play a good Shocker team over at the 12 & U fields Saturday evening and I thought, hang the belly-ache-ers--come watch these starry-eyed kids they are really having fun.

Over and out!  LOL

I collected money from 15 parents and grandparents for wrist bands, turned it in, and got the bands delivered to those parents.  I had several more show up late Friday looking to BUY a wrist band, and there was no-one at Complex 4 checking for them OR selling them.  I can't speak for the other 3 pods.............

It's hard to be honest, when there's no-one to give your money to!

It's hard to be honest, when there's no-one to give your money to!

And therein lies the STUPID part East TX!

Again I'll say that I got what I wanted out of it, some local games, but I also left feeling guilty for participating in this event. Who knows, if the local teams had not played, maybe the event would have petered out before Beaumont's name was tarnished.

My last word on this, unless asked a direct question.

If someone decides to run a tournament this size, they need to start working on it about 3 months be-

fore the event.  If they have been around tournaments, then they should know, most areas do not

have enough umpires available to call a tournament of this magnitude.  Running 12 fields takes, at the

least 36 umpires if 2 on 1 off schedule.  48 umpires if 1 on 1 off is the schedule.  Naturally you will

need extras, something always happens that some have to leave for one reason or another.  Not even

Houston has these numbers, so umpires will be brought in and DO need rooms.  They don't get gas

money and cannot afford to drive back and forth.  As was stated in previous post on this forum, water

coolers were not available unless the teams themselves brought them in along with ice and filled them.

Nothing for the umpires, except some generous fans and coaches who did have the coolers.  Everyone

knows what the temperature were, water was a MUST for umpires.  If an umpired worked until say 11:00

p.m. and arrived at 8:00a.m., that's a long day.  He will need something close by to shower, and rest.

If a TD loses money on a tournament, then he has not managed things properly.  The entry fees he

receives should easily cover the expenses, since umpires fees are paid by the coaches/teams.  If a

gate is involved, then his income is even more.  check things out, make the arrangements far in

advance, not the week before or of the tournament.

It is also the duty of the TD to have the brackets updated throughout the tournament.  One individual

cannot run a tournament.  They need a staff, something that was obviously missing in this persons

agenda.  Running the brackets is not the UIC"s job.  UIC is there to assigned umpires to the fields and

handle any protest that arise.

Last, but not least.  Lee Barber and Kandice stepped up and did an excellent job at attempting to up-

right a sinking ship.  I have worked with both of them, and their hearts are always in the right place.

To Lee and Kandice, GOOD JOB, and hope to see U both in Sulphur.

Guest stircrazy

Good post DAMAN. At most tournys that we have worked or been to the UMPS are treated pretty good . At Crush Park we try to feed them , water or drinks are there for them and they never have taken advantage of our concessions. BHBLUE even buys most of his food even though he does not need to. I thought EASTTX was the one that said these UMPS could call 30 games this weekend. That's 900.00 and a trip to the hospital. How could the guy lose his shirt when he left with the money. Gate fee or not. Honor system, are you that stupid. It has nothing to do with honor. It has to do with an organized event. If you wanted a gate fee then set up something at all the pods and collect. I have collected over $18000.00 in 2 days at College St. before some ASA State Tournys. But I had a plan and we stuck to it. People will pay but they are not going to chase you down. Get off your butt and WORK!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed