Melanie Hamerly to Deweyville

Former LCM standout Melanie Hamerly has been hired as the new girls basketball coach at Deweyville High School.  After winning a National Championship at Baylor, Hamerly spent the last two years as an assistant coach at Waco High.  "I'm real excited about this opportunity," she said.  "I came back home thinking I was going to coach with in Mauriceville and this position opened up about the same time."  Deweyville principal Jerry Gibson said, "We are real lucky to have someone with Mel's background at Deweyville."  She replaces Kristi Henderson who left the program.

Thanks KOGT.COM

Mel

Or should I say Coach Hamerly.  If you apply the same kind of strength to coaching that you did when you were a player -you will probably be one of the best coaches in the area.  I always enjoyed calling your games because good or bad I never had to worry about your court demeanor.  Good luckl and God bless.

Joe Whitted

P.S.  Show the young ladies at your school that national championship ring

Congratulations Mel! I remember having to battle your LCM teams when I was the head coach at Lumberton in the 1990's. I also watched your Baylor team win a national championship.  I had the honor of coaching one of your Baylor teammates, Victoria Jones, when I coached at San Marcos High School. You are possibly the very best true post with height that this area has ever seen. I know you will do a great job as "Coach Hamerly" too! I wish you the best and God Bless You!

Coach Bob Killam

Silsbee Lady Tigers

Hamerly to head up Deweyville basketball

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

DEWEYVILLE — It is not too often a coach brings national championship experience to a local school.

Melanie Hamerly is doing just that with the Deweyville Lady Pirates basketball program.

Hamerly, a national champion with Baylor in 2005, has taken the position after Kristi Henderson left the program after last season.

The Lady Pirates finished fourth in District 24-2A last year after reaching the playoffs the year before after finishing in third.

Hamerly spent the last two seasons at Waco High School as an assistant coach and had a desire to come back home.

“I missed home so much,†Hamerly, a 2001 graduate of LC-M High School, said. “I was ready to be back in a small community where the people really support the girls athletics program.â€

Hamerly now hopes to bring her qualities as a fundamental basketball player to the Deweyville courts.

“I want us to start making the playoffs each year,†Hamerly added. “There are six seniors back this year. I was a senior once and I know how important it is to make the playoffs in your final year. I want to be a part of these girls making some memories.

“I have only met two of the girls so far because the last few weeks have been crazy trying to get back moved into home. They were very polite and ready to work. They already wanted to know what they could do to get ready for the season. They are the ones who mentioned holding an open gym on Wednesday night and I will get to meet the rest of the players.â€

Hamerly started to look at getting back into the Southeast Texas area at the end of the school year last year.

A position opened at Mauriceville Middle School where Hamerly’s mother works.

Hamerly then got word of the opening at Deweyville and principal Jerry Gibson made contact with the 2006 graduate of Baylor University.

“I was going to try to do anything to get there,†Hamerly said. “I set up an interview the next day and liked what they had to say. I got to see the facilities and the classrooms and I fell in love with the school. it is a blessing to be here and I am glad I was given the opportunity.â€

• 3 months later...

Coach Hamerly is an amazing person. She has already made a great impact on our school. Not only is she head basketball coach, she also had to take over the voleyball coaching position als after Coach Spears took maternity leave. She is doing excellent and as far as i know she is liked by everyone. She genuinly cares and it shows. Good Luck Coach Hamerly and your varsity girls. I will be up in the top row cheering you on every game.  ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont