Summer league coaches being ejected!?!

If this 'smarts' I apologize, but this is a concern I have......

I'm just wondering.......is it a PROUD moment to be thrown out of a game in front of a bunch of 11 yr old's?? 

what teaching moment does this cover??

sorry, but if the game were truly 'about the kids' grown men, in charge of youth sports, would be able to conduct themselves in an appropriate manner.......no matter the situation......each action you take is a learning experience for the children you have at your feet.

In the past 5 years I have not heard of anyone coaching baseball in this area have to report to the UIL in High School baseball..(could be missing someone but don't recall).....this summer alone I've heard of someone being thrown out of a 5 yr old game last year, again this year and now in an 11yr old league.  I'm guessing the actual number is higher then 3 in two years?? 

I know, I know......it wasn't your fault coach.....you were 'giving your all for the team'....you expect your players to give all every play and that's just what you were doing......right?...so many on here like to use that stand......You were right, the ump was wrong and that's why you had to leave...........

Maybe if the area came up with a stricter approach to coaches being ejected from games (rather then punishment being to sit in a lawn chair in view of the game)  other then to sit out one game...........this area could start "giving youth sports back to the youth"...'Cal Ripkin Jr'

but I'm sure Cal don't know what he's talking about! 

Good luck to all our children

Guest gladiator2

Why can't people that are not involved leave this alone? The parents of the kid's supported their coach than why should it matter to anyone else if your child is not involved. If you have been around watching a lot of baseball over the last several years than you would notice that umpires are more worried about what people in the stands are saying about them or if a coach says the slightest thing that they don't like than you are gone. This year I have seen several coaches kicked out of games, hell I've even witnessed a kid's grandmother get kicked out. I seen a coach get kicked out of a game when the game was over, most of the time the umps leave the field when the game is over but these days they go around with antenna's on their heads.Competitive sports leads to a lot of adrenaline and competitiveness in a person and stuff happens. So why worry about it if you don't have kid's involved?

Why can't people that are not involved leave this alone? The parents of the kid's supported their coach than why should it matter to anyone else if your child is not involved. If you have been around watching a lot of baseball over the last several years than you would notice that umpires are more worried about what people in the stands are saying about them or if a coach says the slightest thing that they don't like than you are gone. This year I have seen several coaches kicked out of games, heck I've even witnessed a kid's grandmother get kicked out. I seen a coach get kicked out of a game when the game was over, most of the time the umps leave the field when the game is over but these days they go around with antenna's on their heads.Competitive sports leads to a lot of adrenaline and competitiveness in a person and stuff happens. So why worry about it if you don't have kid's involved?

Ummm...because they can worry about it if they want to. We can express opinions if we want to. I think the point is, how can you expect your kids to act with class if your own coach can't. Adults should lead by example. We had a coach that got thrown out of games on a regular basis. Before you knew it, the kids were throwing their helmets, talking back to the umpires and getting kicked out of games too. Not exactly how I wanted my son to act, so we stopped playing for this particular coach, and found one who didn't act silly. These kids aren't just learning how to play ball, they are also learning life lessons. One of those lessons should NOT be how to act like a fool.

Guest gladiator2

I have umpired in the past and toatally understand. I also knew that the game is what the people were there to see, not me. Some umpires try and take games over and bring attention to themselves instead of the game. BC2008, I take it that your son didn't make All-Stars or his select team so therefore you have a problem with Ronnie. Swallow that pill and get over it!!

I agree totally that umpiring is not an easy job and certainly mostly a thankless job. I also agree a coach should not let any situation reach the point where he should/would be ejected from a game. That being said a coach also has a responsibility to protect and "go to bat for his kids". A coach should have a right to question an umpire's call without an umpire ejecting him as long as he is civil.

I questioned an umpire's call on a strike this season when the ball was called a strike over the kids head with the game on the line. I merely asked the ump how could he call the pitch a strike and got threatened with an ejection. The kids can't question the call, they just go back to the dugout shaking their heads and feeling that it doesn't matter how good they are, just that the game was taken away from them. If a kid feels wronged and doesn't have someone willing to stick up for him this is just as bad an example as a coach being tossed. Every umpire should strive to get the call right..even if it means changing their initial ruling. Are umpires perfect, no few of us are. There will be mistakes, it is an extremely difficult job and thankfully they are willing to subject themselves to the abuse they do have to take. However, every coach should have the right to question a call but any coach crossing the line into lunacy should be suspended for a few games. :)

I agree totally that umpiring is not an easy job and certainly mostly a thankless job. I also agree a coach should not let any situation reach the point where he should/would be ejected from a game. That being said a coach also has a responsibility to protect and "go to bat for his kids". A coach should have a right to question an umpire's call without an umpire ejecting him as long as he is civil.

I questioned an umpire's call on a strike this season when the ball was called a strike over the kids head with the game on the line. I merely asked the ump how could he call the pitch a strike and got threatened with an ejection. The kids can't question the call, they just go back to the dugout shaking their heads and feeling that it doesn't matter how good they are, just that the game was taken away from them. If a kid feels wronged and doesn't have someone willing to stick up for him this is just as bad an example as a coach being tossed. Every umpire should strive to get the call right..even if it means changing their initial ruling. Are umpires perfect, no few of us are. There will be mistakes, it is an extremely difficult job and thankfully they are willing to subject themselves to the abuse they do have to take. However, every coach should have the right to question a call but any coach crossing the line into lunacy should be suspended for a few games. :)

Arguing balls and strikes is an automatic ejection. The umpire has no choice. I tell coaches before the game, that if I call a runner out at home and everybody but me sees the ball on the ground, if he will ask for time and come to me calmly and ask me to get help, I will. He if comes running at me screaming like a mad man, it's going to be a short game for him. Same with a bang/bang play at 1st. If it's just a close call, don't come out but if you think the fielder was off the bag, ask me, I'll get a second opinion if I'm in B or C postion.  I have had  high school coaches come up to me acting like they had line up changes, but are actually just getting their point across. As long as he is calm and respectful and not making a scene he can say (almost) anything. It's not your objection that gets you tossed, it's your presentation....................

Therein lies the rub.  Some coaches are just plain stupid about their objections.  Just about every umpire I have ever dealt with has had no problem with my questioning of a call if done in a quiet, civil manner.  Loud mouth coaches who yell to get a point across are just asking for it, and they usually get it.

There's a reason why there was a law added in the last several years that cover assaults on coaches and umpire's. This has been going on for atleast 20 something years, because it went on when I was a kid in little league. It just seems that it's step up a level and we have the internet now so everybody knows when an issue arises. Heck, how many heated arguments or fights have you seen in the stands this baseball season? Every year there are issues at every baseball complex in this area as well as all over the country. It's a crazy world.

If this 'smarts' I apologize, but this is a concern I have......

I'm just wondering.......is it a PROUD moment to be thrown out of a game in front of a bunch of 11 yr old's?? 

what teaching moment does this cover??

sorry, but if the game were truly 'about the kids' grown men, in charge of youth sports, would be able to conduct themselves in an appropriate manner.......no matter the situation......each action you take is a learning experience for the children you have at your feet.

In the past 5 years I have not heard of anyone coaching baseball in this area have to report to the UIL in High School baseball..(could be missing someone but don't recall).....this summer alone I've heard of someone being thrown out of a 5 yr old game last year, again this year and now in an 11yr old league.  I'm guessing the actual number is higher then 3 in two years?? 

I know, I know......it wasn't your fault coach.....you were 'giving your all for the team'....you expect your players to give all every play and that's just what you were doing......right?...so many on here like to use that stand......You were right, the ump was wrong and that's why you had to leave...........

Maybe if the area came up with a stricter approach to coaches being ejected from games (rather then punishment being to sit in a lawn chair in view of the game)  other then to sit out one game...........this area could start "giving youth sports back to the youth"...'Cal Ripkin Jr'

but I'm sure Cal don't know what he's talking about! 

Good luck to all our children

I have used that statement on more than one occasion. However, I have never been thrown out of a game. I'm not sure where you're from or what area you are talking about but I can tell you that 3 coaches being thrown out is very low.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn