Vidor lands Bickham, Pachuca as assistants

Vidor lands Bickham, Pachuca as assistants

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

VIDOR — Reunited and it feels so good.

That will be the case for the Vidor football program as Dwight Bickham will return to work with long-time friend and head coach Jeff Mathews.

Bickham, who was an assistant for Mathews in Pirate Country in the past, was the head coach and athletic director at Deweyville High School the last three years, will return to the Pirate staff as a top-notch assistant and running back coach.

Bickham had a solid amount of success leading Deweyville to two playoff appearances. The Pirates went 6-4 in 2005 and made the bidistrict playoffs and made a repeat performance by going 8-3 in 2006 to make the bidistrict round again. Deweyville finished 4-6 last season as Bickham posted an overall 18-13 record at his alma mater.

“It’s great to have Coach Bickham back,†expressed Mathews. “He ran a superb program in Deweyville but we’ll gladly take him back.â€

Bickham was instrumental as an assistant for the Pirates in the past, on both sides of the ball.

“Dwight is so knowledgeable about the game and he’s the type that you like to pick his brain,†Mathews said. “He really knows how to push the right buttons and the kids, they’ve always responded to his style of coaching.â€

Mathews picked up another excellent hire in Chris Pachuca, who will coach the offensive line. Pachuca spent the last three years in Deweyville working with Bickham. Pachuca, a Port Neches-Groves graduate, was also an assistant at LC-M before heading to Deweyville.

“It’s a big deal for us to land two excellent coaches,†said Mathews. “Chris has such a great knack of getting kids motivated and his reputation is top-notch. He comes from such a great background. I’ve known his father George 9Pachuca) who coached at PN-G for years and years. He comes from a great family.â€

Vidor is still looking to fill the position of head softball coach to replace Chad Reed. Also looking for a head softball coach is Bridge City as Sophia Mount turned in her resignation last week.

Several other positions have been filled recently in Orange County.

Toby Foreman will return to West Orange-Stark to help on the offensive side of the ball and coach track again after leading to Baytown Lee last year.

LC-M graduate Mike Stewart, who was the head coach at Lulig the last two years, leading that school to back-to-back playoff spots, is the new offensive coordinator at Orangefield.

Josh Smalley departed as Orangefield offensive coordinator to return to his alma mater in Bridge City where he will be the offensive coordinator there.

Chad Landry, who coached baseball at Hamshire-Fannett the last five seasons, is now the head baseball coach at Bridge City.

Callie Orebo, who led the WO-S Lady Mustangs to three regional tournament appearances in basketball, will return to her head-coaching duties after stepping down for a year last season.

Guest ECBucFan

Don't know about Pachuca (except what I read in here), but I can attest Bickham threw everything--and the kitchen sink--at EC.  :o VP football is on the upswing!

Don't know about Pachuca (except what I read in here), but I can attest Bickham threw everything--and the kitchen sink--at EC.  :o VP football is on the upswing!

Pachuca is one of if not the best young coach I've seen in awhile he has a great coach player relationship with all the kids he coaches. Great mutual respect.

Deweyville messed up.....AGAIN!!!....when they let Pachuca go. Not taking anything away from the new coach....He's great!!  but Pachuca was a great asset to the program and to the school and the community!!! He would have been here for years to come which is what the sports program at Deweyville needs.

Deweyville messed up.....AGAIN!!!....when they let Pachuca go. Not taking anything away from the new coach....He's great!!  but Pachuca was a great asset to the program and to the school and the community!!! He would have been here for years to come which is what the sports program at Deweyville needs.

The School Board did not listen to several players, towns people, and the former Coach who requested that Coach Pachuca be given a fair chance at the job, as I stated in a previous post, vote in the next school board election, we need a change.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami