Car wreck injures BH coach, wife

Car wreck injures BH coach, wife

By Michael Pineda

Baytown Sun

Published June 18, 2008

Barbers Hill head girls’ basketball coach John Chancellor and his wife Angela remained in Beaumont’s Christus St. Elizabeth Hospital Tuesday after a harrowing weekend car wreck.

The Sunday crash, which totaled their car, broke both of Angela’s arms and a leg and left several lacerations on John’s face and legs.

“God blessed us,†Chancellor said. “The tow-truck driver said that we were the poster child for seatbelts and airbags. We are just thankful that our kids were with their grandparents.â€

The Chancellors were traveling home from Baton Rouge to prepare for the Barbers Hill girls’ basketball camp, which began Tuesday.

At around 3 or 4 p.m., a truck hydroplaned across the median and hit head on the Toyota Camry in which they were traveling. The Chancellors’ car spun into another car and might have been hit in the back by yet another car.

Road conditions at the time were slippery.

“It had been raining off and on throughout the day,†Chancellor said. “All I remember is a green truck and then the ambulance. Angela was awake through it all.

“Angela has six or seven weeks of hard work ahead of her. She will be able to come home in five or six days, but we will have to find some home health care; she can’t move.

“I have three or four good Clint Eastwood scars on my chin but I was ugly to begin with. I think that I will be able to come home tomorrow or the next day.â€

Chancellor suffered bruising to his stomach and sternum as well and was able to walk for the first time on Tuesday.

“The good news is that everything we have wrong can be fixed,†Chancellor said.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami