Top Defensive Backs: SETXsports Position Rankings

I'm not basing my opinion by what some publication, who probably never saw the kid play, says they are ranked. I base it off of what I've seen with my own 2 eyes. Earl plays for a 3A school and goes both ways. He did not play defense full time last year as did Wells. He was not able to pad his stats. I did see both play this summer and Earl by far out shined Wells. Wells got roasted by a 3A team. Earl played nothing but 5A and NEVER got beat. Earl plays like he's pissed all the time. You can't teach that. Wells has all the tools and is an OUTSTANDING DB. I just do not feel he has the same tenacious mentality that Earl does. This is MY OPINION ONLY.

My opinion I was at the qualifying tournment at WOS and the Png reciever jumped all over Earl Thomas head for a touchdown. Then some team with a bunch of hispanics kids i dont remeber their school name but their reciever burnt earl and the kids kept saying wheres the u.t chump i only run a 5 flat and i burnt you. It was kind of funny. But wells didnt give up a touchdown on him all last year so he speaks for himself

First if you read my post you would know that I think earl is a great DB and that he will be better than Deon because he is stronger and tougher and probably a smarter defensive player. Second I am A WO-S fan and was at both state championship games even though I was only 1 and 2 years old. Third Im just saying that its not possible to rank high school athletes in a national poll.

I'm not basing my opinion by what some publication' date=' who probably never saw the kid play, says they are ranked. I base it off of what I've seen with my own 2 eyes. Earl plays for a 3A school and goes both ways. He did not play defense full time last year as did Wells. He was not able to pad his stats. I did see both play this summer and Earl by far out shined Wells. Wells got roasted by a 3A team. Earl played nothing but 5A and NEVER got beat. Earl plays like he's pissed all the time. You can't teach that. Wells has all the tools and is an OUTSTANDING DB. I just do not feel he has the same tenacious mentality that Earl does. This is MY OPINION ONLY.[/quote']

Well your right this is your opinion. So you tellin me that Earl never got beat. Champ Bailey runs a 4.2 and gets beat. Every DB is gonna get beat , its how you come back after you get beat. Earl is an Outstanding Player, but his tenacious mentality will only take him so far. Ben Wells has the tenacious mentality and he has the size which scouts are looking for. You can't teach or buy size can you? You obviously wasn't at the Qualifying tournament when Earl Got beat. Im not downing him he is a heck of a player, but my opinion is that Ben is better. From what I here, he might not be playing DB at Texas anyway.

Guest GoStangs

Well your right this is your opinion. So you tellin me that Earl never got beat. Champ Bailey runs a 4.2 and gets beat. Every DB is gonna get beat , its how you come back after you get beat. Earl is an Outstanding Player, but his tenacious mentality will only take him so far. Ben Wells has the tenacious mentality and he has the size which scouts are looking for. You can't teach or buy size can you? You obviously wasn't at the Qualifying tournament when Earl Got beat. Im not downing him he is a heck of a player, but my opinion is that Ben is better. From what I here, he might not be playing DB at Texas anyway.

Per Rivals.com:

Wells:

Ht: 6-foot-0

Wt: 174 lbs

Forty: 4.45 secs

Thomas:

Ht: 5-foot-10

Wt: 174 lbs

Forty: 4.4 secs

Physically, they're about equal, and I guess they both play with a lot of intensity, which is probably why they are both about even on the field. I think both will have a big year and will probably be the best in the area. I'm sure both will do very well at the next level, as well.

BTW, I was at the 7-on-7, and I don't remember anyone getting by Earl from either PNG or Edcouch Elsa. I know there were more than several times when Thomas made some tremendous plays on offense and defense against both those teams, but I don't remember anyone looking good against him, especially when it was man-on-man coverage.

I realize every DB is going to get beat... my reference was to a particular tournament (state 7 on 7). He did not get beat in 7 games. I was not making any wild statement like he never would.

We could probably debate about who is the better of the two all day. I really don't want to get into that because, most of the time, you have to point out one players weakness to hype the other and I don't want to do that. Both boys are from this area and both are GREAT players. Time will tell which one will excel at the next level.

FYI- I saw every game of the qualifying 7 on 7 and had a real good vantage point. The Hispanic team was Edcouch Elsa and the kid that got beat was D. Rhodes. They were talking smack to Earl from the get go and every time they made a play on us they talked smack to Earl. They were extremely cocky for a team that got the "L". The PNG guy did get Earl. Earl mistimed his jump and the PNG kid went up over him. It was just a good play on the PNG kids part. As you said, they all get beat sometime.

This is understood but your playing PNG in 7on7 im sure they don't have one guy that runs a 4.4 on there squad. If you play a squad like Memorial or Bay City, where the speed is spread across the field. This will give you a better picture. Both of these guys are excellent athletes and players and will excel in the future.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124